Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Challenge to Indian fans

+7
embee
furriner
JKLever
The One
Growler
spangler
taipan
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Challenge to Indian fans Empty Challenge to Indian fans

Post by taipan Wed 08 Dec 2010, 12:09

I am quite prepared to admit that India is the best team in the world if you win the forthcoming series.

Are you prepared to do the same if SA wins, given that we drew the recent series in India?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Challenge to Indian fans Empty Re: Challenge to Indian fans

Post by spangler Wed 08 Dec 2010, 12:43

If, by Best in the World you mean only counting the matches between the top two ranked sides then yes.
spangler
spangler

Challenge to Indian fans 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2554
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 08 Dec 2010, 12:54

No, I think the general consensus here is that SA and India are the best at the moment.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Wed 08 Dec 2010, 13:42

I would agree. On the field now, there's not much between India & South Africa. The two sides are some distance ahead of the next group, comprising England, Australia & Sri Lanka.

I think England (on the up) and Sri Lanka are about level, and it looks very much like Australia will settle in 5th for a while when the current seasons round of Tests are completed.

Windies Snoozers and Paksters are fighting for 6th, with the Bangles propping up the table.

Since South Africa held India to a drawn series away from home, if India fail to at least do the same, it will be difficult to claim the number one spot outright. Likewise, if SA can't win, I'd probably consider them equal, deciding which is better dependant on who they beat (or not as the case may be) next.
Growler
Growler

Challenge to Indian fans MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Wed 08 Dec 2010, 14:27

i dont think anyone in india claimed india was best in the world when we beat aus at home in 2001 and drew away in 2003-04

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Wed 08 Dec 2010, 14:31

Growler wrote:I would agree. On the field now, there's not much between India & South Africa. The two sides are some distance ahead of the next group, comprising England, Australia & Sri Lanka.

Really? Ind & SA are the weakest 1,2 for years imo. Bit like claiming to be the least bald bloke at a baldie convention...

Last edited by JKLever on Wed 08 Dec 2010, 14:33; edited 1 time in total
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Wed 08 Dec 2010, 14:32

We'll always be the best team in the World. Always were, always will be. Even when we were losing to everyone.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12508

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 08 Dec 2010, 14:51

furriner wrote:We'll always be the best team in the World. Always were, always will be. Even when we were losing to everyone.

Good to have you back , Karti
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 08 Dec 2010, 15:01

embee wrote:
furriner wrote:We'll always be the best team in the World. Always were, always will be. Even when we were losing to everyone.

Good to have you back , Karti

Just a few days ago I was being touted as the reincarnation of this mysterious, "Karti".

Now Furri?

What is going on?
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Wed 08 Dec 2010, 15:09

DJ_Smerk wrote:.........
Just a few days ago I was being touted as the reincarnation of this mysterious, "Karti".
What is going on?

Conf of Karti high.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12508

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Wed 08 Dec 2010, 15:25

JKLever wrote:
Growler wrote:I would agree. On the field now, there's not much between India & South Africa. The two sides are some distance ahead of the next group, comprising England, Australia & Sri Lanka.

Really? Ind & SA are the weakest 1,2 for years imo. Bit like claiming to be the least bald bloke at a baldie convention...

Maybe so JK, but in the world of the blind - the one-eyed man is king, as the expression goes.

The fact is, when we played India 2 winters ago, we were well beaten in one Test, and batted out of the game in the other. Last winter, the 1-1 result belies the fact that we got out of jail v the SAffers.

Since that series, who have we beaten? Bangladesh away & home - whoopedy doo. A village green XI sorry, Pakistan - who had the resistance of a mars-bar, and an Australian squad coming apart at the seams day by day.

Now, we host Sri Lanka then India next summer. If we win at least one more test and have the better of the other games in Australia, and follow up with two good series wins next summer ..... then I'll unequivocally say there's no gap worth talking about.

But not yet. This current England set-up has the potential to be one of the best in our lifetimes. However, right now, thats all it is - potential. They'll prove themselves one way or another over the next few years. One thing's fore sure, there is some interesting cricket to come.
Growler
Growler

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Wed 08 Dec 2010, 15:53

Oh, i'm not judging England as a contender at all. Just on their own merits I think SA & India are currently the two best sides. But imo, there's a thin rizzla paper between them and the rest not a massive gap as there used to be between Australia and the rest.

Don't know why some people are suddenly decrying Englands performance in SA either. We were expected to get smashed, thought we fought hard all the way. We played pretty well in India too before coming on the end of a Tendy special.

SA couldn't beat the 5th ranked side at home and India struggled to put away the shaggers recently. There is no dominant side. Sides used to fear playing Aus - no side in world cricket at the moment makes me fear them or that we couldn't beat them.

JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 08 Dec 2010, 16:07

JKLever wrote:There is no dominant side. Sides used to fear playing Aus - no side in world cricket at the moment makes me fear them or that we couldn't beat them.

Spot on JK.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Wed 08 Dec 2010, 16:55

Why would you have to be absolutely dominant like WI of '70s and '80s and Aus of late '90s and '00s to be called no.1 in world?

I mean those 2 teams were 2 of the all time best teams in 130-odd years old test cricket's history.

Even if India can achieve half of of what they (WI and Aus) achieved during their heydays, I'd be overjoyed.

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Wed 08 Dec 2010, 17:01

I think we're actually in general agreement JK ....... I think there is a little way between the top two and the rest. Certainly not a huge gap, and I do believe it may be closing fast.

You're right. we got on the wrong end of Tendulkars brilliance in 08/9, and have been on the up since then. Starting with the Cardiff draw and subsequent series win it's been mostly good. My comments Re SA weren't knocking England - quite the opposite .... we got out of jail by fighting hard, and the draw was deserved, not lucky. We simply couldn't have done more last summer, and we are playing well on tour now.

I just don't want to be getting too gobby too soon - thats why I say let's see if we can put two decent sides away next summer without any banana skins.....
Growler
Growler

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Wed 08 Dec 2010, 17:12

Right now, India have following record in all test playing nations.

Eng (Home/Away)
WI (Home/Away)
NZ (Home/Away)
Pak (Home)
Aus (Home)
SL (Home)
SA (None)

I know thats not spectacular record by any stretch of imagination, certainly nowhere near to what Aus and WI achieved, still its not that bad either, especially considering we were considered such poor tourists not so long ago.

Statistically India are no.1, considering their stats of last 2-3 years. I agree we've some huge battles (SA, Aus and Eng away) on hand in next year or so. Even if we can win at least 2/3 series, I'd say I won't be disappointed by this team's efforts.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by spangler Wed 08 Dec 2010, 17:19

I guess it would give some people a hard-on to claim their side is the best in the world to all on an internet forum. So in answer to the original question, yeah. OK.
spangler
spangler

Challenge to Indian fans 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2554

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Wed 08 Dec 2010, 19:34

SG wrote:Why would you have to be absolutely dominant like WI of '70s and '80s and Aus of late '90s and '00s to be called no.1 in world?

You don't and I acknowledged that fact SA & India are a ciggie paper above the rest of the teams atm. My point is that there are no outstanding teams so the claim to be 'no.1' in that situation is a bit like claiming the ugliest man crown in an ugly contest. All the sides between SA-Ind-SL-Eng & Aus are much of a muchness in my opinion.

JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Dec 2010, 19:39

I think it might be some time until there is a team as dominant as Aus/WI were. England could potentially have a shot at the number 1 spot in the rankings if they continue to improve and have a bit of luck over the next few years but they definately won't be as dominant as either of those two teams.

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Thu 09 Dec 2010, 03:25

Yep. We can take that as bit of a given.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Thu 09 Dec 2010, 03:28

JKLever wrote:All the sides between SA-Ind-SL-Eng & Aus are much of a muchness in my opinion.
I won't put SL in that group. Firstly, they don't get too many chances to play away from home. And even if they get, they usually flounder.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 09 Dec 2010, 03:52

SA are the leading team...until the bannies can beat ordinairy teams like Oz away from subicon they will continue to lack credibility...england and SL are simply mediocre
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 09 Dec 2010, 05:46

So, as I suspected, no Indian would take the challenge up.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Thu 09 Dec 2010, 05:52

Very Happy

does it make you feel like a man taipan?

The One

Number of posts : 9035

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 09 Dec 2010, 05:55

hey, I said I would acknowledge India if they won.

Obviously you haven't the balls.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next