Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sounds like Collys about to hang up the boots

+11
beamer
PeterCS
lardbucket
taipan
Basil
LeFromage
Gary 111
furriner
DJ_Smerk
PlanetPakistan
JKLever
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sounds like Collys about to hang up the boots Empty Sounds like Collys about to hang up the boots

Post by JKLever Mon 03 Jan 2011, 18:32

In the line of fire following a miserable Ashes form, England middle order Paul Collingwood has admitted that he faces an uncertain future and the Sydney Test, starting on Monday, could be his last.

Collingwood, who has scored just 70 runs in five innings in the four Ashes Tests so far, conceded he is standing "at the crossroads" of his Test career.

The three-time Ashes hero, who was appointed an MBE after the 2005 victory, has been struggling for runs after scoring a double-century against Australia in Adelaide in 2006-07.

Former captain Andrew Flintoff has called for dropping Collingwood if England wants to be a world-beating side.

"My form during this series and most recently my latest failure in the fourth Test in Melbourne means the subject of my Test future was bound to be raised sooner or later," said Collingwood, who led England to World Twenty20 success in the Caribbean last May and remains an integral part of their one-day side.

"If this does turn out to be my last Test match, if, after this week, the selectors come to me and say it's time to go or I felt that myself, I'd leave very proud of what I've contributed to the England cricket team," Collingwood was quoted as saying by 'Mail on Sunday'.

Collingwood, who captained England to Twenty20 World Cup triumph last year, accepted that his primary job was to score runs and if he was not doing that he does not deserve a place in the Test side.

"I'm obviously disappointed with the series I've had with the bat so far. I can't get away from the fact that scoring runs is my job in the side, so I won't hide away. This is a big week for me in Sydney. I'm at the crossroads and what happens in the final Test may well determine what direction I go in.

"I'm sure by the end of this Test I'll know more myself and be better able to judge what the general feeling is in terms of where I am as a Test player and the contribution I can still make to the England team in future and what is the best way forward," he said.

"Yet, at the same time, I understand the arguments 100 per cent and I understand there are other batsmen after my spot. And the bottom line is that, at my age, if you're not scoring runs yourself you don?t deserve a place in the side," said 34-year-old Collingwood who has scored 4246 runs from 67 Tests.

Collingwood said if he has to quit Test cricket after Sydney match, he would still be a happy man with his achievements.

"No matter what happens from this point on, though, I can safely say that, after what I went through at the start of my career, if someone had offered me three Ashes wins, a Twenty20 World Cup and 10 Test hundreds I would have snapped their hand off," he said.

Only 34. Having a bad trot but then he had bad trots when he was in his 20's.... got to say I never thought he'd make a decent fist of test cricket - can go down as one of my many 'bad calls' on the other thread. Think Dello was also particularly scathing at the time.

What is weird that it'll just be a 5 year test career - it seems a lot longer.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Sounds like Collys about to hang up the boots Empty Re: Sounds like Collys about to hang up the boots

Post by PlanetPakistan Mon 03 Jan 2011, 18:48

'Sounds like Collys about to hang up the boots'

About time!
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Sounds like Collys about to hang up the boots Empty Re: Sounds like Collys about to hang up the boots

Post by JKLever Mon 03 Jan 2011, 19:00

yeah, not fast enough
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 03 Jan 2011, 19:18

That's a quick one, Lever.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Mon 03 Jan 2011, 19:27

Mr. Standfast.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Mon 03 Jan 2011, 19:32

JKLever wrote:

Only 34. Having a bad trot but then he had bad trots when he was in his 20's.... got to say I never thought he'd make a decent fist of test cricket - can go down as one of my many 'bad calls' on the other thread. Think Dello was also particularly scathing at the time.

What is weird that it'll just be a 5 year test career - it seems a lot longer.

7 years and a month career so far JKL, though it felt a bit like a debut when he was called up for the Ashes test in 2005 he actually played in Sri Lanka in December 2003. He made a dogged 3 hour 36 in that match to help us cling on for a draw - a sign of things to come! If this is his last match even a pair of ducks and his average will remain above 40, plus he has surely been the finest fielder ever to play for England?

Further back, I remember him making his ODI debut in 2001, in England's wretched ODI triangular series against Pakistan and Australia. I hadn't heard much about him at the time and remember thinking his technique looked dreadful (he scored 2, 9, 0 & 9). It was another era then, with names such as Ben Hollioake, Ealham, Mullally, Croft & Alistair Brown on the teamsheet, and with our rotating door policy of the 90s a recent memory I thought he would be another who fast disappeared into obscurity. But it turned out he was another brilliant Fletcher find. Michael Vaughan had a similarly wretched ODI series, and both of them would later find prominence against Australia. Collingwood seems sure to pass 5000 ODI runs, to go with his 100+ ODI wickets and catches. A shining example of someone who made the most of his natural talent as a batsman and doughty bowler, although as a fielder he has been a class apart with his reflexes and athleticism at backward point and 3rd slip. His catch to dismiss Hayden in 2005 was one of those moments when I couldn't believe my eyes that he had just made that.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 03 Jan 2011, 20:06

Forgot all about the 2003 debut! Yet I watched that game, and the 2001 debacle.

He's probably got another 2-3 seasons of one day stuff left in him if he wants it bad enough.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 03 Jan 2011, 20:59

I'm not so sure - he was interviewed after the Melbourne win and seemed to indicate that he had no desire to give it up yet, hoping he still had "a few more years" in the tank.

See how he goes in this game. And, yes, I didn't think Collingwood could play proper cricket. I'm still not convinced he can, but he's gotten away with it for a long time...
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 03 Jan 2011, 21:09

I'm inclined to think Colly should go after this test - his bad trots are becoming more pronounced and last longer, and it's time I think for Morgan to get an extended run.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 03 Jan 2011, 21:19

I'm not sure Morgan's really demanding selection. And Bopara's fallen away. I suppose it'd be easier for them to ease Colly out of it if they had a younger middle-order player really hammering the door down, but they don't.

Only James Hildreth is a heavy scorer in FC cricket. And I'd be cautious in bigging up his claims...
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 03 Jan 2011, 21:35

Here's a left field pick - Andrew Gale
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 03 Jan 2011, 21:50

Not convinced by Gale myself, bit of a pokey thwacker (probably destined for a 60 test career then!)

I'd go James Taylor as a left field before his time style selection. He's killed 2nd Div cricket and I reckon he could just go stale playing that level all the time.

Plus its been years since we've had a midget nudger and nurdler.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Tue 04 Jan 2011, 04:35

JKLever wrote:yeah, not fast enough
Lever, you know he is rubbish(these days)

If Colly fails in this test then even a gay selector who has a crush on Colly won't select him for a long time.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Tue 04 Jan 2011, 04:40

Morgan failed(sort of) due to brilliance of Asif, Aamer and Ajmal(to some extent)

There aren't too many bowlers in world cricket who are any where near as good as Aamer and Asif AND the conditions in general for test batting are a LOT easier than they were in that particular series.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Tue 04 Jan 2011, 04:41

Colly hasn't bowled a 90mph delivery for about 35 years.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Tue 04 Jan 2011, 04:43

DJ_Smerk wrote:Colly hasn't bowled a 90mph delivery for about 35 years.
His parents must be really ashamed of the output
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 04 Jan 2011, 05:56

PlanetPakistan wrote:Morgan failed(sort of) due to brilliance of Asif, Aamer and Ajmal(to some extent)

There aren't too many bowlers in world cricket who are any where near as good as Aamer and Asif AND the conditions in general for test batting are a LOT easier than they were in that particular series.

Aren't those the 2 about to be banned for match fixing?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 04 Jan 2011, 13:19

MBEfor7 isn't finished yet

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38071
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 04 Jan 2011, 13:41

He's put himself about the field a bit. And started to bowl ~ okay.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Tue 04 Jan 2011, 18:37

Collingwood to Hussey, OUT, 75.6 mph, oh, Collingwood has struck! And it's Hussey who goes - what a very good ball from Paul Collingwood! He'd set up Hussey with several wider balls and this one swung back in, getting the inside edge on to the stumps

MEK Hussey b Collingwood 33 (108m 92b 2x4 0x6) SR: 35.86

The speed gun is quite misleading in this case, making the ball appearing slower than it actually was by measuring the speed it was travelling at. Infact Collingwood bowled that delivery at 95 mph, which was why Hussey was deceived. It was just the ball doesn't always go as fast as Collingwood bowls it.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Tue 04 Jan 2011, 19:03

In a successful side you can allow yourselves the luxury of easing out an ageing player who seems to be in decline without it being too much of a gamble. It probably is time to think about giving someone else a go, whether that is Morgan or another candidate. That player can slot in at 6 with Bell moving up a place and an experienced top 4 (well I know Trott hasn't been around for long at this level but is certainly playing like he has).

I think Colly can do a job at ODI/T20 level for another couple of years, age certainly isn't slowing him down in the field, although another World Cup cycle is probably beyond him so it depends if he's got the hunger to carry on just for JAMODIs and the monthly (as it surely will be soon) WT20.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Tue 04 Jan 2011, 19:35

beamer wrote:In a successful side you can allow yourselves the luxury of easing out an ageing player who seems to be in decline without it being too much of a gamble. It probably is time to think about giving someone else a go, whether that is Morgan or another candidate. That player can slot in at 6 with Bell moving up a place and an experienced top 4
Guys, why do you Poms always wnt to f*ck over Bell? He's just fine where he is, and well on the way to legend status.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 04 Jan 2011, 19:46

Zat wrote:
beamer wrote:In a successful side you can allow yourselves the luxury of easing out an ageing player who seems to be in decline without it being too much of a gamble. It probably is time to think about giving someone else a go, whether that is Morgan or another candidate. That player can slot in at 6 with Bell moving up a place and an experienced top 4
Guys, why do you Poms always wnt to f*ck over Bell? He's just fine where he is, and well on the way to legend status.

Because a player of his undoubted talent should have the cojones to bat at five, or even four.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Tue 04 Jan 2011, 19:47

He's your version of Steve Waugh. Mentally tough, and able to get the best out of the tail. Leave him at 6.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 04 Jan 2011, 19:59

Steve's more of a Waughlock than a Belf.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next