Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Owais Shah - anyone remember him?

+7
lardbucket
PeterCS
Basil
Merlin
JKLever
Henry
Lara Lara Laughs
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Owais Shah - anyone remember him?  Empty Owais Shah - anyone remember him?

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Mon 17 Jan 2011, 20:06

Well he's kicking off! Strange when you think about all the Bell vs Shah debates.

Sprawled on the couch in the living room of his North London home, Owais Shah greets questions with a shrug. “If you chase something, it never comes,” he says wistfully, yet it is not long before a burning sense of injustice emerges.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been given a fair go at playing Test cricket. You look at other players who have four or five games not playing well and people say this is their last chance and they get a score. If you get four or five games, of course you’ll get a score. But I have two bad games and bang, I’m out.

“Look at Ravi Bopara, who’s a very good friend of mine. He got three back-to-back hundreds against the West Indies, then got dropped at the end of the Ashes. But Ravi had four Tests not to do well, not two.” Strictly, Shah had the last three in against West Indies in 2008-09, averaging 22.16 in six innings.

The couch is perhaps a fitting location for someone whose career has been subject to Freudian levels of analysis. A talented, wristy batsman, he had to wait 10 years for a Test debut. But his international appearances have been spasmodic and he last played a one-day international more than a year ago. The most recent of his six Test appearances came seven months before that in March 2009 in Trinidad. The ghost of Mark Ramprakash is hard to escape. After 15 years at his boyhood county, Middlesex, he was released controversially at the end of the season and was recently signed by Essex.

Moving from one Division Two side to another is not perhaps the obvious choice for a player who wants a return to the England set-up. Shah, now 32, sounds as if he is trying to convince himself as much as anyone else that he still wants to resurrect his international career.

“I used to approach my seasons saying to myself that, if I do well, I’ll play for England and that’s not always worked,” he says. “I now like to be in the present and do well for my county. If the England thing comes along, that’s a bonus. It’s not to say I don’t want to play for my country – because I do – but to keep myself grounded I just try to focus on the day-to-day. I’m not bitter about it but I am disappointed that some people in cricket have had an easier ride than I have. But I’ve also come to accept that’s how life goes.”

So why did he not cement a place with England? “You’ll have to ask the selectors, the captains and the coaches,” Shah says. “None of them seem to want to persevere with someone like myself. I was told the reason I wasn’t picked was that I wasn’t consistent enough and my fielding’s not good enough. I didn’t think the consistency issue was correct but I’ve tried to improve my fielding this summer. I’m addressing the problem, if there is one. I can’t say I’m an absolute gun of a fielder but the odd dropped catch was always highlighted more with me than it was with others. It’s the same with the run-out issue.”

Shah joins a lengthy list of talented British Asian batsmen who have failed to nail down a place in the England side. So is there an issue? “The people who make the decisions are not looking at the stats alone and the black and whiteness of those stats. It’s not about performing well and getting a fair go. I think there are other issues and other boxes that you need to tick for them. I don’t know if British Asians are ticking those boxes.”

Despite having time to get used to feeling let down by England, it was a new experience at Middlesex last summer. Shah has given most of his career to the county, for whom he first played when he was 16. He scored more than 20,000 runs in all forms of the game in his 16 seasons at Lord’s but, with only one Championship century last summer, hitting 633 runs in 12 games at an average of 33.31, he failed to live up to his own standards. In August it was announced he would not be offered a new contract.

What might have been a difficult decision was made easy for Middlesex’s managing director of cricket, Angus Fraser, and chief executive, Vinny Codrington, by the statistics Shah says he should be judged on. If Shah felt stabbed in the back by Middlesex’s decision, the way it was handled certainly twisted the knife. Primed for a meeting to discuss his future, he claims to have known bad news was on its way. But discovering his time was up via the internet before being told in person, due to a bungled embargo on a press release, was a painful and very public wounding. Middlesex were appalled and very quick to apologise. Shah and his agent were just as quick to bemoan what they perceived as a lack of loyalty and professionalism.

Once the news was out he lost little time in proving his worth, hitting an unbeaten 58 to help beat Derbyshire in a CB40 game and 117 in a Championship match against Worcestershire. After the latter he pointedly declined to acknowledge the applause from the Lord’s pavilion, choosing to reserve his celebration for Middlesex supporters either side.

He said: “It was a conscious decision but it was nothing to do with my team-mates. It was towards Middlesex CCC to remind them that I’m good enough to play at this standard and to tell them they’d disappointed me.”

A few months down the track, and with a new Essex contract successfully negotiated, he is more stoical. He even admits that he himself approached his new county as far back as May last year to sound out a possible move. But he still paints an unflattering picture of the state of Middlesex cricket.

“They’ve signed an overseas batsman [Chris Rogers] who’s 33, so where’s the logic in that? I had a horrible season but I still had a lot to offer. It’s the first dip I had in 10 years and I’m told that’s it. If you look at the Middlesex team that won the Twenty20 [in 2008], their first trophy in 20 years, not many players are still there. It’s not a coincidence that people are leaving. If you keep changing your team every 18 months, you’re not going to have any team spirit. You aren’t going to win anything with kids.”

Kids, though, are what Essex have at the moment. Four of their top six in the final Championship game of last season were 25 or under, and three of them had yet to reach their 22nd birthday. Essex clearly disagree with Middlesex’s statement that Shah’s performances were not justifying his high salary. Shah’s riposte to that is simple and might possibly earn him an unwanted nickname: “The reason I’m expensive is because I’m worth it.” Essex are about to find out.

Why we released him
By Vinny Codrington,
Middlesex chief executive

“Cricket can be a cruel world now and players just have to deliver. Players like Owais, who are highly paid, have to perform because counties can’t afford to retain them if they don’t live up to their salaries. If he’d averaged 50 throughout the Championship season, we would have retained him. Instead he averaged less than 35 and we didn’t score 400 or more runs in the first innings enough, so we had to shake it up.
By his own admission Owais came back from England this spring and his head was all over the place. He recognised for the first time that he wasn’t going to be an England player and his international career was all but over. That then meant that his performances for us were not what we wanted them to be for a very highly rewarded cricketer.
It is interesting that he says all is not right at Middlesex. If he felt it that way, why didn’t he say anything? He had plenty of opportunities to do so because we were talking to him about any number of issues over the last few years. He didn’t indicate at any point that he was unhappy.”

Why we signed him
By Paul Grayson,
Essex coach

“Owais is not an old man by any stretch of the imagination and along with Mark Ramprakash and Marcus Trescothick, I think Owais is one of the three best players in the country not currently playing for England.
My coaching philosophy at Essex is that we want to produce England players. If we help Owais get back his international place, then we’ll be doing something right. It will be good for him working with Graham Gooch at Chelmsford, which might give him an incentive to get back playing with England. Graham might have one or two influences with the England coaching staff and I’m sure he’ll want to impress.
I’ve had some good conversations with Owais and he’s very excited about joining us, and in particular teaming up with Ravi Bopara. He had other opportunities at counties in the north and the Midlands but he wanted to stay in this area so we held the aces when it came to a deal. Owais wants to play Division One cricket and our ultimate goal next season is to get back into that competition.”

The Shah File

Born October 22, 1978, Karachi, Pakistan
England Under-19 captain 1997-98
Led England to U19 World Cup win in 1998
Cricket Writers’ Club Young Player of the Year 2001
County debut August 1995 Middlesex v Notts, Lord’s
ODI debut June 2001 v Australia, Bristol
Test debut March 2006 v India, Mumbai

Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Owais Shah - anyone remember him?  Empty Re: Owais Shah - anyone remember him?

Post by Henry Mon 17 Jan 2011, 20:32

He was unlucky in 2006. Made 88 on debut in India at number three, then was mysteriously overlooked for all of the home tests against Sri Lanka and Pakistan in favour of Ian Bell and Paul collingwood

His attitude has always been a bit of an issue with any Coach he plays under. Despite that 88, Duncan fletcher was apparently annoyed that Shah hadn't trained as if he was going to play that test match (he was a last minute replacement for the injured Alastair Cook). And there's always been a cockiness about him that some have taken the wrong way.

Of course, his fielding has always been an issue, and his running between the wickets has gotten worse and worse over time. He's a nervous, fidgety cricketer who sometimes puts his teammates on edge by the way he goes about things. Compare that to Jonathan Trott, who just oozes calm.

There's no questioning his natural ability, but those that matter obviously don't think the overall package is worth it.

Wont play for England again unless he has a truly stunning start to the County season and England are struck down by a few injuries to their batsmen.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 17 Jan 2011, 21:19

Essex Legend...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 17 Jan 2011, 21:22

Muddlesex Reject .....

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 17 Jan 2011, 21:23

Shah's England career is well and truly over. Essex may well get their money's worth out of him!
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 17 Jan 2011, 21:24

There had to be more to his departure from Middlesex than just a lack of runs. He'd been averaging over 50 for the last 9 seasons before the last one. Surely he's allowed one off season in 10.

And by Middlesex standards, averaging 33 wasn't terrible. It's about the same as what Dawid Malan has averaged his whole career so far, and yet they're persisting with him.

I reckon Malan could do with a move to another county. His career seems to have stalled at the 'sex.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 17 Jan 2011, 21:28

It could be money - I bet Shah was one of Middlesex's highest earners. In these straightened times, they might have thought that losing his runs was worth it just to balance the books.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 17 Jan 2011, 21:31

It's a crying shahme.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 17 Jan 2011, 21:32

Henry wrote:There had to be more to his departure from Middlesex than just a lack of runs.

Didn't see eye to eye with the El Supremo "All Worship Me" Fraser - who 'demands' more ... despite his hiring of two non-performing Aussies for the T20 squad last year... and now .... the 33 year old Chris Rogers (?? who ??) for the CC season...

Strange goings on at HQ.

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 17 Jan 2011, 21:33

When are you moving in with the uzi squad, Merls?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 17 Jan 2011, 21:35

You don't know who Chris Rogers is, Merls? He's been an ever-present on the County scene for the last 7 years now. He should make good runs for you.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 17 Jan 2011, 21:35

PeterCS wrote:When are you moving in with the uzi squad, Merls?

I signed off Muddlesex this season, Petey ... like I said ... strange goings-on there ...

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 17 Jan 2011, 21:39

Henry wrote:You don't know who Chris Rogers is, Merls? He's been an ever-present on the County scene for the last 7 years now. He should make good runs for you.

Yeah, I do Trev ... but Derby, Leicestershire, Northants and back to Derby (all in 6 years) ain't exactly a reccommendation! Wink

PS - ...and Wiltshire 'midst that lot !!!!!

Last edited by Merlin on Mon 17 Jan 2011, 21:43; edited 1 time in total

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 17 Jan 2011, 21:40

Could be money. We're not exactly rolling in it though.... seems like Shah is going to fill our overseas player slot (in cash terms) and we'll just get Styris for the T20
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 17 Jan 2011, 21:42

Enough of that high and mighty talk! Middlesex have dropped down the ladder and are well and truly wallowing in the common muck now. Deal with it! Wink
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 17 Jan 2011, 21:45

Henry wrote:Enough of that high and mighty talk! Middlesex have dropped down the ladder and are well and truly wallowing in the common muck now. Deal with it! Wink

Not high and mighty mate .... just relating the facts!
Good luck to Rogers ... like I said, I'm outta Muddlesex 'til there's a "regime" change.
Not a fan of Fraser ...

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 15 Jul 2015, 10:54

Merlin wrote:
Henry wrote:There had to be more to his departure from Middlesex than just a lack of runs.

Didn't see eye to eye with the El Supremo "All Worship Me" Fraser - who 'demands' more ... despite his hiring of two non-performing Aussies for the T20 squad last year... and now .... the 33 year old Chris Rogers (?? who ??) for the CC season

Chris Rogers - I think he's done OK for you, maybe better than 'Whim' Owais.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 15 Jul 2015, 12:42

Chris Rogers was an exceptional signing.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 15 Jul 2015, 13:36

lardbucket wrote:
Merlin wrote:

Didn't see eye to eye with the El Supremo "All Worship Me" Fraser - who 'demands' more ... despite his hiring of two non-performing Aussies for the T20 squad last year... and now .... the 33 year old Chris Rogers (?? who ??) for the CC season

Chris Rogers - I think he's done OK for you, maybe better than 'Whim' Owais.

A bad case of pre-judgment on my part.
Rogers has been an excellent signing - a great captain and a willing coach/tutor/mentor to the young guns at Middlesex.
Robson did well opening with him ... but sadly missing him of late.
Met Chris a few times - a lovely bloke.... glad he's returning for one more season.

Shah was another Ramprakash.
Nurtured through the ranks, looked after when crocked, good paycheck, guaranteed 1st team place...
Then f**ks off to Hants (for more money, alleged) - just as the rabbit in headlights Ramps did when he buggered off to Surrey in the season immediately following his testimonial (£350K paycheque, tax free).
Both arseclowns

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 15 Jul 2015, 14:03

Just a bad judgement full stop. His record in England should've told you he'd do a good job. For a year. For two years. For four years.....
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 15 Jul 2015, 14:10

that would have required Merls to use facts in forming an opinion
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 15 Jul 2015, 14:50

embee wrote:that would have required Merls to use facts in forming an opinion
Farks sake, is that the best you wozzie can dish out?

Monkeh - I did check the facts.
His previous form was good but not brilliant ... he was 33 years old ... he was/is an Aussie ... and Middlesex
did have Denly and Malam who opened and had been doing a decent job.
So Rogers did seem surplus to requirements ...
Proven different since - so yeah - PRE-judgement was sound ...post judgement am glad to say it's worked out.

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 15 Jul 2015, 16:26

Previous form was good, but not brilliant:

Seasons previous:

61.81, 70.7, 30.92, 40.15, 57.16, 74.68, 73.05, 49.3, 53.54, 27.25.

To summarise:

Previous 5 years - 10009 runs at an average of 55.92

Aren't you a) a hard task master and b) queenish about age? When do county batsmen usually retire?

Just. Poor. Judgement.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jul 2015, 18:13

Merlin wrote:
embee wrote:that would have required Merls to use facts in forming an opinion
he was/is an Aussie ...
Australians have historically done pretty well in the CC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 15 Jul 2015, 20:30

Brass Monkey wrote:Previous form was good, but not brilliant:

Seasons previous:

61.81, 70.7, 30.92, 40.15, 57.16, 74.68, 73.05, 49.3, 53.54, 27.25.

To summarise:

Previous 5 years - 10009 runs at an average of 55.92

Aren't you a) a hard task master and b) queenish about age? When do county batsmen usually retire?

Just. Poor. Judgement.
Wow... must've taken you an age digging that lot up!
I am impressed and  ... mea culpa for sure.
But I did say his career average was "good" ... (49.65) ...perhaps I was understating it a tad!
We did have Malam and Denly, but agree, things did begin picking up after Rogers arrived.

I shall be sure to mention this misdemeanour of mine to Chris and how I was set right by a
certain FB forum member called The Brass Monkeh - be assured, I will accord you all the credit!
Needless to say it won't happen this week ... his mind will be on other things like saving a Test match!
He is returning to the Sexies, but not till next season now.

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next