South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Page 26 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by Brass Monkey on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:51

taipan wrote:
No, because I would have picked them as they are better players. But as I said, matter of opinion.

In which case, why did you get all squealy when people didn't perform the obviously necessary proskynesis for the mighty South African top 6? Other people can have opinions too.
avatar
Brass Monkey


Number of posts : 44858
Age : 109
Reputation : 413
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by taipan on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:53

Okay, you want the win, you got it.
avatar
taipan


Number of posts : 46921
Age : 117
Reputation : 121
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by Brass Monkey on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:58

taipan wrote:Okay, you want the win, you got it.

Win? What win? There isn't a win. As you can see, you got all incredulously uppity because people didn't agree with something you obviously think is a fact.

See for yourself below

taipan wrote:
Merlin wrote:Smith - No - we've got two more than decent openers who've strung a few century partnerships together of late. No need for another left handed opener.
Amla - Yes - for certain.
Kallis - No ... too slow and getting on a bit - no room for red-inkers.
AB - maybe - if IRB fails to deliver!

Wink

Fark me, the poms are coming over all bannie.

First Trev reckons Jimmikins is better than Steyn.

Now this PMSL

Act suddenly all aloof and like I've hounded you into concession if you like. It's not the case, though.
avatar
Brass Monkey


Number of posts : 44858
Age : 109
Reputation : 413
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by Red on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:18

The one out of the poms I would question is Strauss. You'd have to consider Sooky ahead of him given that both have played almost the identical number of tests with the former averaging 41 with a scoring rate of 49 and the latter 50 at a scoring rate of 60. In Australia Strauss has always looked a bit ordinary, though thrives on flat pitches a la Brisbane.
avatar
Red


Number of posts : 15588
Reputation : 14
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by Brass Monkey on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:30

Strauss - doubly damning as he was facing some sh!thouse bowling in Australia.
avatar
Brass Monkey


Number of posts : 44858
Age : 109
Reputation : 413
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by Red on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:37

True but the Indian attack was even more popgun once Zaheer departed after a few overs for the series.
avatar
Red


Number of posts : 15588
Reputation : 14
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by Brass Monkey on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:39

Aye and don't even get me started on the Sri Lanka 'attack'.
avatar
Brass Monkey


Number of posts : 44858
Age : 109
Reputation : 413
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by Brass Monkey on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 13:07

Player Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50
JH Kallis 6 11 4 823 201* 117.57 57.23 5 1
IR Bell 12 16 4 1164 235 97 63.32 5 5
AN Cook 12 17 1 1504 294 94 51.31 6 4
KP Pietersen 12 16 1 1055 227 70.33 64.6 3 5
AB de Villiers 6 9 1 517 278* 64.62 64.78 2 0
HM Amla 6 11 1 629 140 62.9 65.79 3 3
IJL Trott 10 15 2 810 203 62.3 50.21 3 3
GC Smith 6 10 1 425 101* 47.22 65.68 2 1

Hardly worth a pull on the old scrot, Nidgy. I mean, in essence I agree with you that ironically the two I don't rate behind your precious top six are the naturalised Brits, but going on the last year's cricket....
avatar
Brass Monkey


Number of posts : 44858
Age : 109
Reputation : 413
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by taipan on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 13:13

Well Dan, as I mentioned, I was picking openers as against openers as is the normal convention when picking combined teams. I notice that Strauss is missing from your list.

As I have said it goes on opinion and I actually thought Troot ahs outbatted KP and Bell recently.
avatar
taipan


Number of posts : 46921
Age : 117
Reputation : 121
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by taipan on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 13:17

And anyway, are we agreed that no Aussie would get in this combined team, which is where the debate started.
avatar
taipan


Number of posts : 46921
Age : 117
Reputation : 121
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by Brass Monkey on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 13:31

taipan wrote:Well Dan, as I mentioned, I was picking openers as against openers as is the normal convention when picking combined teams. I notice that Strauss is missing from your list.

As I have said it goes on opinion and I actually thought Troot ahs outbatted KP and Bell recently.

Add in the Pakistan Tests and he outbats them. I've only listed the top four scorers in that period from each side. Going on how it has panned out and going with the normal convention my composite team would be:

Smith
Cook
Trott
KP
Kallis
Bell

Same amount of Saffies, just different ones. I recognise the fact that you aren't using stats in your judgement and that's the way I'd usually be, I just happen to think these stats are undeniable.

But anyway, the point is no Aussies would get in there, but then they're not in the top 2 in the world at the moment and hence their batsmen's form isn't.
avatar
Brass Monkey


Number of posts : 44858
Age : 109
Reputation : 413
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by Gary 111 on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 14:00

Brass Monkey wrote:
taipan wrote:Well Dan, as I mentioned, I was picking openers as against openers as is the normal convention when picking combined teams. I notice that Strauss is missing from your list.

As I have said it goes on opinion and I actually thought Troot ahs outbatted KP and Bell recently.

Add in the Pakistan Tests and he outbats them. I've only listed the top four scorers in that period from each side. Going on how it has panned out and going with the normal convention my composite team would be:

Smith
Cook
Trott
KP
Kallis
Bell

Same amount of Saffies, just different ones. I recognise the fact that you aren't using stats in your judgement and that's the way I'd usually be, I just happen to think these stats are undeniable.

But anyway, the point is no Aussies would get in there, but then they're not in the top 2 in the world at the moment and hence their batsmen's form isn't.

Katich for Smith?

*runs and hides*
avatar
Gary 111


Number of posts : 5717
Reputation : 29
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by Brass Monkey on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 14:03

Someone said Katich had only been averaging 27 in his last 7 Tests, so arrogant big-nose would pip him to the post.
avatar
Brass Monkey


Number of posts : 44858
Age : 109
Reputation : 413
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by Gary 111 on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 14:09

Its 42.00 in his last 7 Tests.

And the bowlers he's faced in those games are good - Vettori, Asif, Amir, Zak, Ishant, Swanner, Anderson, Broad, Tremlett.

Plus he was injured in one of those games, so morally he's averaging almost 50.

Shoo-in!
avatar
Gary 111


Number of posts : 5717
Reputation : 29
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by Brass Monkey on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 14:15

Get him in then, just don't tell taips. His ears are already bleeding with "Hypertensional Non-Saffie recognition". This could put him right over the edge.
avatar
Brass Monkey


Number of posts : 44858
Age : 109
Reputation : 413
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by taipan on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 15:00

Phurt. Katich can't even make a crappy Aussie team.
avatar
taipan


Number of posts : 46921
Age : 117
Reputation : 121
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by Red on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 04:59

taipan wrote:
JGK wrote:From crocinfo:

The grapevine suggests that Vernon Philander and Imran Tahir are in line for Test debuts. Watch this space for more.

If Philander plays it is a blatant racist selection.

Suppose a stellar first class record means nought if you're black!
avatar
Red


Number of posts : 15588
Reputation : 14
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by Red on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 05:01

taipan wrote:
skully wrote:I believe it was. Sad that a mighty side can be undermined by bullsh!t policies and politics.

I still can't see Plilander palying.

Wonder if you were happy he was when he rolled oz in the second innings.
avatar
Red


Number of posts : 15588
Reputation : 14
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by Red on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 05:03

taipan wrote:
Red wrote:
embee wrote:
Red wrote:It's gone all black here and we also have dire weather warnings and torrential rain. Quite expect to lose power at some stage. Giant hailstones pelting the windows now!

Are you in Cape Town?

This is all happening in Melbourne, though I did report the torrential rain in CT earlier.

Maxwell and co. also reported that the word is that Philander will play. Is it a racist selection though? He would displace Tsotsobe who is black and he's supposed to be the leading wicket-taker in the domestic competition, knows the local conditions, is meant to be more of a containing bowler who might offset Tahir's propensity for conceding runs. On paper he would be a better batsman than any of SA's tail.

The sun is out again according to Maxwell. BTW he's been scathing about the 'indolence' of the local workforce, though Morphett suggested they may have expected further rain so didn't bother mopping up until it had all cleared.

Philander is pure filth.

Next.

Absolutely unequivocal on the matter.
avatar
Red


Number of posts : 15588
Reputation : 14
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by taipan on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 05:35

And your point is?

I have admitted on numerous occasions that I was wrong. The difference is that you have never done likewise.
avatar
taipan


Number of posts : 46921
Age : 117
Reputation : 121
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by Red on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 06:00

But your pontifications about Philander (and compare them with my reasonable statements) showed an ignorance of cricket you often accuse me of.
avatar
Red


Number of posts : 15588
Reputation : 14
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by taipan on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 06:03

Red wrote:But your pontifications about Philander (and compare them with my reasonable statements) showed an ignorance of cricket you often accuse me of.

Once again what is your point? I have admitted I was wrong on Philander.

When are you going to take responsibility for your comments, do don't you have the balls?
avatar
taipan


Number of posts : 46921
Age : 117
Reputation : 121
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by Red on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 06:10

My point is that someone who claims to be such a cricket expert (must be to belittle others) should have been able to make a more nuanced assessment of Philander.
avatar
Red


Number of posts : 15588
Reputation : 14
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by taipan on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 06:22

Red wrote:My point is that someone who claims to be such a cricket expert (must be to belittle others) should have been able to make a more nuanced assessment of Philander.

One doesnt't need to be a cricket "expert" to have a better knowledge of the game than you. My pet Lab springs to mind. He at least barks when a good shot is played.
avatar
taipan


Number of posts : 46921
Age : 117
Reputation : 121
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by Red on Tue 09 Jan 2018, 10:29

taipan wrote:
Red wrote:
embee wrote:
Red wrote:It's gone all black here and we also have dire weather warnings and torrential rain. Quite expect to lose power at some stage.  Giant hailstones pelting the windows now!

Are you in Cape Town?

This is all happening in Melbourne, though I did report the torrential rain in CT earlier.

Maxwell and co. also reported that the word is that Philander will play. Is it a racist selection though? He would displace Tsotsobe who is black and he's supposed to be the leading wicket-taker in the domestic competition, knows the local conditions, is meant to be more of a containing bowler who might offset Tahir's propensity for conceding runs. On paper he would be a better batsman than any of SA's tail.

The sun is out again according to Maxwell. BTW he's been scathing about the 'indolence' of the local workforce, though Morphett suggested they may have expected further rain so didn't bother mopping up until it had all cleared.

Philander is pure filth.

Next.



Glad to see you rated Philander. Think the selectors made a wise decision.
avatar
Red


Number of posts : 15588
Reputation : 14
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: South Africa v Australia, 1st Test, Cape Town, 9-13 November, 2011

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum