Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Six Nations 2012.

+11
mynah
beamer
Mick Sawyer
Merlin
Brass Monkey
Basil
taipan
Big Dog
Henry
Yorkie Jill
PeterCS
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Six Nations 2012. - Page 3 Empty Re: Six Nations 2012.

Post by tricycle Sat 17 Mar 2012, 16:33

And Grand slam for Wales, top job. Shame that I'd had to stick to the french matches.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 17 Mar 2012, 16:58

Well played Smerky.

Unlike the great Welsh teams of the past, the performances relied very heavily on defence, but the covering and tackling skills were top class. Dan L'Idiot took over today from where Warburton had led by example against the English, with thumping, well-timed and well-aimed tackles. The way you should tackle - low and comprehensive - and the way so few seem to know how to these days, even in international rugby.

Perhaps Gatland will go on from here and build up the sidestepping and flying skills as of yore. (Surprisingly, Lee Halfpenny, who I always thought was a star against England, now seems to make little headway with his curious head-down crouching runs. ~ ~ D'ohhh. Stupid me, of course, he used to play on the right wing, now he's full back and finds himself having to try to break down the shackles of a whole team. Fine distance kicker though. Best since that fella from Neath who used to put them over from 70 yards a few years back. What was his name again?)

RIP Merv the Swerv, by the way. Gerald Davies was shown wiping away a tear as the ground commentator remembered him.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 17 Mar 2012, 17:06

England v Ireland now. On Paddy's Day.

Let's see how England go. Their last match was very encouraging - adventurous, skilful, attacking, dangerous rugby ... even though in the second half, Dickson started to return too much into the shell of infinite long waits before distributing the ball from scrums and rucks .... maddening and entirely counter-productive for scoring tries. Of course I'm not talking about the last two or three minutes, when any team with a small lead would slow things down. There was some reversion to dull, pessimistic type there.

The ref last weekend was a disaster - seemed to be doing all he could give the win to the home side (and land of his fathers).

As for this game, personally, I woudl prefer England to keep going, and if necessary lose (narrowly) to a better team, than fluke a victory. There's more to be learnt about the players, and the team, and more impetus to be gained, from going forward than playing slo-mo rugby (and still dropping the ball - maybe through narcolepsy and catatonia?) as England have done too often over the last 20-odd years.

Which doesn't mean they shouldn't continue to cover and tackle like tigers (or is that Dragons?).
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 17 Mar 2012, 19:19

Well, rubbish conditions. During the better part of the match, it was just drizzling. Otherwise pouring down.

The Irish uncharacteristically fatigued during the second half. They looked like they needed gloves, spilling the ball so much, and looked weary also from dealing with the England pack (both in scrums and rampaging). They did show some spirit towards the end, but too late, and too little.

Not a great performance from England either, but generally forgivable given the weather. Handling errors were not surprising. Farrell's kicks for the first time were both overdone and lacking accuracy - I guess also in part at least a function of those conditions.

Curious reversal of roles in the White #9 shirt. Dickson, first choice at the start fo the match, played like Youngs had at the start of the Six Nations - fussily, and way too slow. Whereas the later restored Youngs played like Dickson had done when he came in as his replacement. Sparky, full of intent, alert and fast. He is ideally built for a good scrum half, and now plays like one again.

England as a team (and squad) have come on in leaps and bounds under Lancaster. And have improved steadily over the five matches. I don't recall any England team playing this enterprisingly (despite those few poor kicks by Farrell in the rain), or even as much of a cohesive, meaningful force, under Johnson. Even when they put together some sort of a win.

I hope Lancaster gets the gig. His men seem combative, increasingly confident and competent, play for each other, and look as if they would now be competitive against any team.

The only cloud is, still not sure why the admirable Toby Flood is no part of the plans. Presumably Lancaster has done the bold thing (considering his short contract) and built on youth - giving Farrell an unconditional nod - and Flood, for all his skills, is considered one of yesterday's solutions. Harsh if so, as he should still really be at least a back-up, one would have thought.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sat 17 Mar 2012, 20:40

Holy Nellie! PeterCS writing an in-depth thoughtful analysis of a sports event without resorting to puns or flowery verbiage. A remarkable day in FB history.

And a good match report Pete.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 17 Mar 2012, 22:05

One of those on each of the previous three pages, zat.

I thought you were a man not given to wild hyperbole? Very Happy
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sat 17 Mar 2012, 22:09

PeterCS wrote:The only cloud is, still not sure why the admirable Toby Flood is no part of the plans. Presumably Lancaster has done the bold thing (considering his short contract) and built on youth - giving Farrell an unconditional nod - and Flood, for all his skills, is considered one of yesterday's solutions. Harsh if so, as he should still really be at least a back-up, one would have thought.
If Flood is yesterday's man then what is the much older Charlie Hodgson, who has been backup 10 for most of the tournament? Think he might have even been in the World Cup winning squad! Guess Flood's omission is based on form and/or association with recent failures, either way seems harsh as I don't think he did too much wrong compared to some others in the later Johnson years.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sat 17 Mar 2012, 22:35

At the start of the Six Nations, I would have settled for 2 wins (against Scotland and Italy) As it is, we were worthy runners-up, and weren't that far away from beating Wales. If Stuart Lancaster doesn't get the full-time gig as coach, I am going to buy myself a gun.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sat 17 Mar 2012, 22:36

Pete, I'm also not a man given to worrying about some second-rate rugby tournament.

Razz

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sat 17 Mar 2012, 22:38

Zat wrote:Pete, I'm also not a man given to worrying about some second-rate rugby tournament.

Razz

No need to be so harsh about the Tri Nations
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sat 17 Mar 2012, 22:40

Basil wrote:At the start of the Six Nations, I would have settled for 2 wins (against Scotland and Italy) As it is, we were worthy runners-up, and weren't that far away from beating Wales. If Stuart Lancaster doesn't get the full-time gig as coach, I am going to buy myself a gun.
Think the old farts, as Will Carling famously called them, have decided they want a Southern Hemisphere coach this time and nothing's going to change their minds. All indications are they're going to go for "Timmy" Mallett, so expect back-row forwards at scrum half before long!

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sat 17 Mar 2012, 22:44

beamer wrote:
Basil wrote:At the start of the Six Nations, I would have settled for 2 wins (against Scotland and Italy) As it is, we were worthy runners-up, and weren't that far away from beating Wales. If Stuart Lancaster doesn't get the full-time gig as coach, I am going to buy myself a gun.
Think the old farts, as Will Carling famously called them, have decided they want a Southern Hemisphere coach this time and nothing's going to change their minds. All indications are they're going to go for "Timmy" Mallett, so expect back-row forwards at scrum half before long!

In a stroke all Lancaster's good work will be wasted
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sat 17 Mar 2012, 22:53

No prizes for second place Bas.

And there's a reason it's now called The Championship.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 18 Mar 2012, 01:12

As indicated above, when it comes to the Six Nations, I'd prefer a close second from a squad continuing to make visible progress (flair, tries, team spirit), to a tired cynical squad that is passing or past its sell-by date hanging on grimly to an undeserved cup (ground out, penalties, shutting down play from the 5th minute).
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3