Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saker: Swann, Anderson as good as McGrath/Warne

+7
Henry
JKLever
horace
embee
skully
JGK
Red
11 posters

Go down

Saker: Swann, Anderson as good as McGrath/Warne Empty Saker: Swann, Anderson as good as McGrath/Warne

Post by Red Wed 30 May 2012, 04:35

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/england/9298418/James-Anderson-and-Graeme-Swann-as-good-as-Glenn-McGrath-and-Shane-Warne-says-England-bowling-coach.html

In Saker's mind for sure but statistically they have a long way to go. Also at times Anderson seems to have that saturnine disposition when things aren't going his way as if he's about to drop his head.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Saker: Swann, Anderson as good as McGrath/Warne Empty Re: Saker: Swann, Anderson as good as McGrath/Warne

Post by JGK Wed 30 May 2012, 04:38

Saker's a Victorian right?

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Saker: Swann, Anderson as good as McGrath/Warne Empty Re: Saker: Swann, Anderson as good as McGrath/Warne

Post by skully Wed 30 May 2012, 04:54

Deary me. Tell him he's dreamin'. Rolling Eyes
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105947

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 30 May 2012, 04:59

PhaPhuk is well named
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26213
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 30 May 2012, 05:01

Did he also add a rider? "And it's all because of me." Rolling Eyes
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 30 May 2012, 06:36

JGK wrote:Saker's a Victorian right?

he is an ex Victorian, no longer welcomed in this State
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Wed 30 May 2012, 10:37

Seems to be one or two remarks coming out like that in recent months, always risks a big fall.

I know we strived for ages to knock them off the top, but no need to act all quntish like them now we occupy the no.1 slot. Wink
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 30 May 2012, 10:42

I honestly hope you stay there a while, JKL. The dark years can be long and gloomy (a fact I don't really need to remind you of). Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 30 May 2012, 11:20

Well, I reckon they're as good as anything South Africa can put on the park, at least.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 30 May 2012, 11:21

Henry wrote:Well, I reckon they're as good as anything South Africa can put on the park, at least.

Nice one Horrie
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Wed 30 May 2012, 12:29

Saker's right.

For the past eighteen months, these guys have been as good as anything in Test Cricket for a very long time. Unfortunately, eighteen months isn't a decade, the kind of time-frame for which McGrath and Warne dominated. But even statistically, in that time-frame I quoted, they compare favourably to almost anyone as a foursome:

James Anderson - 62 wickets @ 25.11
Stuart Broad - 62 wickets @ 22.74
Graeme Swann - 62 wickets @ 29.06
Tim Bresnan - 32 wickets @ 23.65

Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Saker: Swann, Anderson as good as McGrath/Warne Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Wed 30 May 2012, 13:47

Chivalry Augustus wrote:Saker's right.

For the past eighteen months, these guys have been as good as anything in Test Cricket for a very long time. Unfortunately, eighteen months isn't a decade, the kind of time-frame for which McGrath and Warne dominated. But even statistically, in that time-frame I quoted, they compare favourably to almost anyone as a foursome:

James Anderson - 62 wickets @ 25.11
Stuart Broad - 62 wickets @ 22.74
Graeme Swann - 62 wickets @ 29.06
Tim Bresnan - 32 wickets @ 23.65

Suppose Philander's 51 at 14 isn't bad. Pity he doesn't have a support cast. Smile
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 30 May 2012, 17:46

Saw this, thought to post it but then I knew he was bonkers:

“The Australians were stand-out bowlers, a great group for a long time. McGrath was the true great among the quicks but they had Brett Lee, Jason Gillespie and Andy Bichel as well - they were all fantastic bowlers. We should be saying our group is as good as them.”

Riiiiiggghhhhhtto. I thought.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Wed 30 May 2012, 20:37

After years of roads, pop-gun attacks and a bowling average of low 30s being world class, things really seem to have swung back the way of the ball in the last couple of years. Is it DRS, livelier pitches, or just the emergence of some better bowlers and some of the top batsmen retiring or declining in form? A combination of all of the above?

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 30 May 2012, 20:42

Don't both Anderson and Broad have averages in the low 30s?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Wed 30 May 2012, 20:46

taipan wrote:Don't both Anderson and Broad have averages in the low 30s?
Well in overall career terms they do, but both were pushing 40 two or three years ago... let's say their Test careers didn't exactly have flying starts. It's remarkable how quickly those averages have come down recently.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 30 May 2012, 20:51

beamer wrote:
taipan wrote:Don't both Anderson and Broad have averages in the low 30s?
Well in overall career terms they do, but both were pushing 40 two or three years ago... let's say their Test careers didn't exactly have flying starts. It's remarkable how quickly those averages have come down recently.

Yep, there's no doubt that DRS has tilted the scale towards the bowlers somewhat. Not that I disagree with that.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down