Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many medals is your country expected to win this year?

+8
embee
Mick Sawyer
lardbucket
Big Dog
The One
beamer
DJ_Smerk
PlanetPakistan
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How many medals is your country expected to win this year? Empty How many medals is your country expected to win this year?

Post by PlanetPakistan Wed 27 Jun 2012, 17:45

Olympics 2012

Pakistan to 'win' zero medals
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

How many medals is your country expected to win this year? Empty Re: How many medals is your country expected to win this year?

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 27 Jun 2012, 18:17

"Win" - do you mean winning via the use of...dare I say it, "drugs"?
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

How many medals is your country expected to win this year? Empty Re: How many medals is your country expected to win this year?

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jun 2012, 19:19

I guess one can't spot fix if one is guaranteed to come last anyway.

Or maybe you can spot fix and still give your all. That might work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jun 2012, 19:36

Would be nice if we could get 50, I'd hope we could, seeing as we got 47 last time, would be pretty embarassing if we bo backward from 2008 considering the amount we've invested into it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jun 2012, 19:53

I suppose the Olympics is one of the few things that actually unites people and doesn't divide them at the same time.

I still hate all the 'Olympics are coming, consume consume consume" though.

I don't really care how well we do. Most of them aren't even team sports and therefore I don't believe the athletes are competing for the country over themselves. However I will probably watch a few events.

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Wed 27 Jun 2012, 20:29

vilkrang wrote:Would be nice if we could get 50, I'd hope we could, seeing as we got 47 last time, would be pretty embarassing if we bo backward from 2008 considering the amount we've invested into it.
Well, Beijing was an exceptional performance, ahead of schedule, and we're not allowed to enter as many cyclists this time either. Will be tough to match that, although hopefully home advantage will inspire a few extra medal successes.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jun 2012, 20:55

beamer wrote:
vilkrang wrote:Would be nice if we could get 50, I'd hope we could, seeing as we got 47 last time, would be pretty embarassing if we bo backward from 2008 considering the amount we've invested into it.
Well, Beijing was an exceptional performance, ahead of schedule, and we're not allowed to enter as many cyclists this time either. Will be tough to match that, although hopefully home advantage will inspire a few extra medal successes.

Is that because our pro cyclists keep being killed on our roads?

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Thu 28 Jun 2012, 06:23

3 or 4. 5 if we are lucky. mostly through boxing, wrestling, weightlifting or shooting. a bit of a chance in tennis as well

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Thu 28 Jun 2012, 08:52

Our medal tally will no doubt reflect the cuts in funding which also allowed many of our top coaches to be poached overseas.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 28 Jun 2012, 08:53

maybe some swimming and walking medals - that is all

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Thu 28 Jun 2012, 09:13

lardbucket wrote:maybe some swimming and walking medals - that is all

....and Cycling. Pearson may get a minor gong but there is not much to come after that.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Thu 28 Jun 2012, 09:20

Big Dog wrote:

....and Cycling. Pearson may get a minor gong but there is not much to come after that.

Hockey, Diving, Gymnastics ........
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Thu 28 Jun 2012, 09:26

Mick Sawyer wrote:
Big Dog wrote:

Meh
Big Dog
Big Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 28 Jun 2012, 09:30

shooting
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Thu 28 Jun 2012, 09:38

embee wrote:shooting

That was Sydney 2000. Those guys need glasses these days.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Thu 28 Jun 2012, 10:02

Big Dog wrote:
Mick Sawyer wrote:
Big Dog wrote:

Meh

Gymnastics meh? columbo
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 28 Jun 2012, 10:11

We'll be lucky to get 2/3
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 28 Jun 2012, 11:39

The host nation usually gets a boost in the medal tally due to home support and extra funding for that particular games but we've pretty much funded our athletes since sydney anyway so not sure we'll get much advantage from that.

We definitely overachieved in Beijing, 19/20 golds and 4th place on the medals table was quite an achievement.

Can one of you aussie types tell me, how was the Aus institute of sport funded. Was it government cash or lottery funded?
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Thu 28 Jun 2012, 11:44

JKLever wrote:The host nation usually gets a boost in the medal tally due to home support and extra funding for that particular games but we've pretty much funded our athletes since sydney anyway so not sure we'll get much advantage from that.

We definitely overachieved in Beijing, 19/20 golds and 4th place on the medals table was quite an achievement.

Can one of you aussie types tell me, how was the Aus institute of sport funded. Was it government cash or lottery funded?

From general revenue. I'm curious why you asked?
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 28 Jun 2012, 11:51

Did that include funding of athletes too? I'm interested because I don't think the UK government would ever dare fund centrally what the lottery has been able to do here.

Why did the Aus funding stop?
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 28 Jun 2012, 11:54

JKLever wrote:Did that include funding of athletes too? I'm interested because I don't think the UK government would ever dare fund centrally what the lottery has been able to do here.

Skully wrote:The pinkos
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Thu 28 Jun 2012, 22:52

JKLever wrote:Did that include funding of athletes too? I'm interested because I don't think the UK government would ever dare fund centrally what the lottery has been able to do here.

The lottery is a good idea. The punters participate or they don't.

Funding for athletes from the taxpayer pool has been cut back strongly though I can't tell you numbers. It hasn't disappeared altogether.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Fri 29 Jun 2012, 06:01

I am hoping for US to win the most golds this year!

Three kids from my university came close to qualifying but no one was able to make the US team... Evil or Very Mad
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Fri 29 Jun 2012, 06:07

I assume you don't give the Yanks much hope in the target shooting events
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 29 Jun 2012, 06:44

PlanetPakistan wrote:I am hoping for US to win the most golds this year!

Three kids from my university came close to qualifying but no one was able to make the US team... Evil or Very Mad

They do at most Olympics
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next