Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have Australia slid further than expected?

+24
Eric Air Emu
Basil
G.Wood
andolini
The One
PeterCS
furriner
lardbucket
LeFromage
WIFAN
Anniyan
*Buckaroo*
Chandan
Chivalry Augustus
taipan
JGK
Merlin
Hass
Nath
Batman
Naeem
Mick Sawyer
HH_pink
Henry
28 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Have Australia slid further than expected? Empty Have Australia slid further than expected?

Post by Henry Tue 30 Dec 2008, 05:42

Everyone knew they would come back to the pack after the retirements of Warne, Mcgrath, and Gilchrist. But did anyone expect them to fall this far this quickly?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Have Australia slid further than expected? Empty Re: Have Australia slid further than expected?

Post by HH_pink Tue 30 Dec 2008, 05:47

Tricky.

Yes, yes to the question in the title and no, no to the question in the post.

Now let me have my peace.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Have Australia slid further than expected? APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3353
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Have Australia slid further than expected? Empty Re: Have Australia slid further than expected?

Post by Mick Sawyer Tue 30 Dec 2008, 05:48

This far, this quickly? FFS, they weren't beaten by Zimbabwe. It was the #2 team.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 30 Dec 2008, 05:51

They've been basically thrashed by India and South Africa in the last 2 months.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Tue 30 Dec 2008, 05:53

Mick Sawyer wrote:This far, this quickly? FFS, they weren't beaten by Zimbabwe. It was the #2 team.

You forget daylight.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Have Australia slid further than expected? APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3353
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Naeem Tue 30 Dec 2008, 07:51

Well they havent played Zimbabwe...
Naeem
Naeem

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2008-07-10
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Tue 30 Dec 2008, 08:08

Henry wrote:Everyone knew they would come back to the pack after the retirements of Warne, Mcgrath, and Gilchrist. But did anyone expect them to fall this far this quickly?

Said they would come crashing down and recalled saying their slide would be exposed after they tour India. Still I reckon many Aussies still thought back then that barring India, they would still be good enough for a couple of years and would still do very well at home......
Batman
Batman

Number of posts : 8881
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Tue 30 Dec 2008, 08:37

Batman wrote:
Said they would come crashing down and recalled saying their slide would be exposed after they tour India. Still I reckon many Aussies still thought back then that barring India, they would still be good enough for a couple of years and would still do very well at home......

True dat. Also expected to get more out of MacDill to bide more time to develop a spin option at Shield level.
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11981
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Tue 30 Dec 2008, 09:28

Henry wrote:They've been basically thrashed by India and South Africa in the last 2 months.

That's crap.

In both these tests against South Africa the Proteas have ended up winning comfortably. But Australia were on top for long periods of both matches.

In India Australia were the better side in the first test but couldn't put India away.

Australia lost the second test by an innings. That was an unmitigated disaster. But we lost by an innings in Calcutta in 1998 when we were supposedly the best team in the world.

I'm not saying everything's fine and rosy. It looks like Australia is only the third best team in the world. Australia had to fall off the perch one day, but they haven't started sliding down the ladder at rapid pace.

This is the first home series loss in 16 years FFS. It's been two years since Warne and McGrath retired, so it hasn't happened overnight.

Cheers.

Hass

Have Australia slid further than expected? MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 30 Dec 2008, 09:45

Hass,

It hurts and will get worse ... so just ride the blows!
Claiming domination for certain sessions or fractions of a test match doesn't cut the mustard.
England dominated India convincingly for 11 sessions in Chennai - and lost the match in just over 3 !!

The emphatic win margins and consumate ease with which the Saffers have crushed Australia over these past 2 weeks does not bode well for your lot ... and I reckon things are going to get a shed lot worse before they even remotely begin to pick up.
Like I said - ride the blows ... portions of test match domination don't mean diddly squat when your arse is being handed to you !!

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Tue 30 Dec 2008, 12:00

Of course winning mere portions of a mere test match means diddly squat.

But it does help assess how far you have "slid".

Australian teams of yore seized the initiative during crucial moments - this team flopped during the crucial moments.

This series makes me think of the 1997 Australian tour of South Africa. Australia won the first test by an innings and pulled off a great comeback to win the second test.

That series confirmed Australia's position as the best team in the world, but it didn't mean South Africa were shot ducks. They were still the second best team in the world and a very talented side.

This series loss seems more dramatic because it marks the end of an empire - but it's no worse than countless other losses that other sides have experienced over the years.

Coming back to the pack isn't just a figure of speech. When you come back to the pack you run the risk of getting your arse handed to you occasionally.

Hass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Dec 2008, 12:28

Australia - the Moral Victors of the series.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 30 Dec 2008, 12:51

Coming back to the pack isn't just a figure of speech. When you come back to the pack you run the risk of getting your arse handed to you occasionally.

Does having your arse handed to you twice in succession (and 4 times out of 6 immediate past Tests) rate as just "occasionally" ? Shocked

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 30 Dec 2008, 12:55

Merlin wrote:

Does having your arse handed to you twice in succession (and 4 times out of 6 immediate past Tests) rate as just "occasionally" ? Shocked

Of those 4 losses, Aust were in winning or at least upper hand positions in 3 of them. The problem has alternated between been cleaning up the tail and taking second innings wickets, which is a pretty weird problem to explain.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Tue 30 Dec 2008, 12:57

Merlin wrote:

We did beat New Zealand in between (I know, I know, but a win's a win).

I don't think anyone really expected to win in India - we struggled there when we had a side of all-time greats.

I'm just asking for some perspective.

This is the first, that's right, the first home series loss in 16 years. It ain't the end of the world... yet.

Hass

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 30 Dec 2008, 12:58

This is funny. The poms are getting more excited about it than us saffies.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Tue 30 Dec 2008, 12:58

I think they've been very unimpressive. England probably gave the Saffers a slightly better run for their money than this and could so easily have tied or even won that series but for a few poor Umpiring decisions. Australia, though they've been on top at times, have not let games slip merely but let them flood away over short spaces of time. Their batting looks fragile with only Ponting in form, and it's hard to see them getting 20 wickets whatsoever against a good batting side. I think that's the worst thing. Their batting has some strength with the likes of Rogers, Jaques, Marsh and Hughes all competing for Hayden's spot, then with Hussey, Pomersbach, et cetera, all capable of coming into the middle order, but where are Australia going to take twenty wickets on decent pitches at the moment?

Siddle looks like an honest enough bowler, but I don't see him as a long-termer. Lee's shot, Mitch is improving but it's yet to be seen whether he shall improve enough and/or have any sort of longevity to his performances. Hauritz has done alright in fairness, considering how rubbish he is. But where's all the bowlers gone?

I like to think it's karma :D.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Have Australia slid further than expected? Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 30 Dec 2008, 13:00

Augustus wrote:I think they've been very unimpressive. England probably gave the Saffers a slightly better run for their money than this and could so easily have tied or even won that series but for a few poor Umpiring decisions.

Yep, it's always the umpire's fault.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 30 Dec 2008, 13:02

I tend to agree with Hass - the problems are not terminal. What is worrying is the panic (and general brainlessness) from the NSP and the continuing poor captaincy of Ricky Ponting. Until those are fixed we will continue to struggle against good sides that we can't just blow away.

On the positives, this series alone has seen the emergence of Siddle as a bowler with real promise, the consolidation of Midge as our No 1 quick, Brad Haddin taking the next step in his test career, Katich and Clarke's continuing consistency and Ponting's return to batting form.

The spinner merry go round and the negligible contribution of Hayden, Hussey, Lee and Symonds have been worries but the latter are all players nearing the end of their careers.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 30 Dec 2008, 13:05

Augustus wrote:

Siddle looks like an honest enough bowler, but I don't see him as a long-termer. Lee's shot, Mitch is improving but it's yet to be seen whether he shall improve enough and/or have any sort of longevity to his performances. Hauritz has done alright in fairness, considering how rubbish he is. But where's all the bowlers gone?

I like to think it's karma Very Happy.

Huh? There's a lot to like. Pace, bounce, some swing, aggression. He's only played 15 FC matches so is still learning the art of bowling, particularly back to back to back spells and matches. If he stays fit, he'll be good. I admit that the NSP got his selection right.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Chandan Tue 30 Dec 2008, 13:12

JGK wrote:
Merlin wrote:

Of those 4 losses, Aust were in winning or at least upper hand positions in 3 of them. The problem has alternated between been cleaning up the tail and taking second innings wickets, which is a pretty weird problem to explain.

JGK, upper position in 3 of the 4 losses? Can't think you had any upper position even once at Perth or Mohali. Even at Nagpur, you just had a whisker of chance of getting on top.

So which three were you in top position?

Chandan

Number of posts : 1780
Registration date : 2007-09-01
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Tue 30 Dec 2008, 13:14

Henry wrote:Everyone knew they would come back to the pack after the retirements of Warne, Mcgrath, and Gilchrist. But did anyone expect them to fall this far this quickly?

the Empire was crumbling .. they used insidious means to win at Sydney and baited Harbhajan. But when that plan did not completely fructify, the will and means to fight back was lost.

And the credit for creating that breach in the wall goes to India. Esp that famous nine over spell by I.Sharma.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 30 Dec 2008, 13:16

Nagpur, Perth (v Safs) and MCG.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Anniyan Tue 30 Dec 2008, 13:35

Hass wrote:
Merlin wrote:

We did beat New Zealand in between (I know, I know, but a win's a win).

I don't think anyone really expected to win in India - we struggled there when we had a side of all-time greats.

I'm just asking for some perspective.

This is the first, that's right, the first home series loss in 16 years. It ain't the end of the world... yet.

Hass, don't become a flying Potato yet again...............
Anniyan
Anniyan

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : sl

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Tue 30 Dec 2008, 18:07

I must admit I had my suspicions about this Australian sides future when they were 17/5 against a West Indies attack without Jerome Taylor.

They got away with that because their batting is still decent and our batting is so terrible, but I thought that better sides than us would exploit these new weaknesses and they clearly have.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Have Australia slid further than expected? 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2857
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next