Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England in Oz, the warm-ups, the wind-ups

+13
PeterCS
horace
Brass Monkey
Neil D
Red
Merlin
Gary 111
LeFromage
embee
Big Dog
Henry
Nath
Basil
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

England in Oz, the warm-ups, the wind-ups Empty England in Oz, the warm-ups, the wind-ups

Post by Basil Sat 26 Oct 2013, 00:35

Tymal Mills is going over ahead of the Development squad to give the batsmen a taste of left-arm quickishness. Good call - he's rather swift; Essex were curiously reluctant to play him last season.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

England in Oz, the warm-ups, the wind-ups Empty Re: England in Oz, the warm-ups, the wind-ups

Post by Nath Sat 26 Oct 2013, 00:58

is he a pie chucker?
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11981
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

England in Oz, the warm-ups, the wind-ups Empty Re: England in Oz, the warm-ups, the wind-ups

Post by Basil Sat 26 Oct 2013, 01:15

Nath wrote:is he a pie chucker?
He's gun barrel straight, but he's only 21. Decent potential - one tour too early methinks.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sat 26 Oct 2013, 01:19

Oh, and David Saker has committed himself to England until at least 2015.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sat 26 Oct 2013, 01:30

I wouldn't say Johnson is a certain starter for Aus, and Starc is out for the season. Strange that England would go so out of their way to prepare themselves for one Australian fringe bowler, who overall hasn't really troubled them in tests before.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Sat 26 Oct 2013, 06:11

Basil wrote:Oh, and David Saker has committed himself to England until at least 2015.
Hope he's a better coach than he was a bowler.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Sat 26 Oct 2013, 13:59

Henry wrote:I wouldn't say Johnson is a certain starter for Aus, and Starc is out for the season. Strange that England would go so out of their way to prepare themselves for one Australian fringe bowler, who overall hasn't really troubled them in tests before.
The last test the poms lost to Oz was because of Johnson ...he's probably due another good test soon

embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 26 Oct 2013, 20:10

Basil wrote:Tymal Mills is going over ahead of the Development squad to give the batsmen a taste of left-arm quickishness. Good call -  he's rather swift; Essex were curiously reluctant to play him last season.
I said he was an outside shot for an Ashes tour. I was sort of right.

He's rapido. Looks a decent athlete too. It should be good for his development to spend the winter working with Saker and bowling at international batsmen and Johnny Bairstow.

Bet he injured ones of them, though...
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 26 Oct 2013, 20:14

Henry wrote:I wouldn't say Johnson is a certain starter for Aus, and Starc is out for the season. Strange that England would go so out of their way to prepare themselves for one Australian fringe bowler, who overall hasn't really troubled them in tests before.
They obviously don't fancy facing left-arm quicks. Cook doesn't, for sure. And Johnson roughed up Trott in particular in the ODI series last summer. Throw in Faulkner and possibly Starc (is he really out for the whole season?) and it's an area they need to brush up on. Is Dougie Bollinger still playing?

Of course, Ryan Harris and Seter Piddle were the best bowlers in the last Ashes, with their RFMs - let's hope they brush up on facing that as well.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Sat 26 Oct 2013, 20:23

embee wrote:
The last test the poms lost to Oz was because of Johnson ...he's probably due another good test soon

Yep, not only did he take 9/82 at Perth the last match before that that Aus won at Headingley in 2009 Mitch took 6/99. Gave Trott the hurry up in that Perth game and in the ODI's recently, also has dismissed Bell several times.

Barring a dramatic loss of form I think he's a shoo-in so good thoroughness from England bringing Mills over (as long as he doesn't injure one of our batters again)
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 26 Oct 2013, 20:44

Dello wrote:
Bet he injured ones of them, though...
Apologies for the quality of that sentence. I'm out of form.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sat 26 Oct 2013, 22:04

embee wrote:

yep.
He impressed back end of the recent tour here.
I reckon he's a shoe-in for Starc. . . . and one not to be underestimated.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun 27 Oct 2013, 02:04

Was amused when Warner said that if we get into the poms early they will go to water. Seems he won't learn to zip it.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil D Sun 27 Oct 2013, 07:27

Good move with Mills. England have been absolute dogshit against left-armers in recent years.
Neil D
Neil D

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2007-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 27 Oct 2013, 19:21

Harry Gurney's been drafted in as well. Seems they're taking left armers seriously. Either that or he's there for the batsmen who don't fancy facing Mills in the nets trying to smash their faces in.

Handy bowler himself.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun 27 Oct 2013, 21:01

Gurney? Meh he's alright. I thought he had something going for him as a raw tearaway at Leics - Notts have vanillad him up good and proper though.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 28 Oct 2013, 00:58

So Reece Topley has fallen right off the radar then?
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 28 Oct 2013, 01:13

toppled off it would seem....is Topsy now considered a flopsy?
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 28 Oct 2013, 06:57

Henry wrote:So Reece Topley has fallen right off the radar then?
I think he's with the development squad. Topley is of no great pace - 80mph ish; he wouldn't trouble decent batsmen or give ours worthwhile practice. His time will come though I think as he fills out and puts on a yard of pace.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 28 Oct 2013, 21:57

Two spots up for grabs in these warm up games before the first test- The number six spot, and the third quick. I'd go for Ballance and Rankin respectively. Although there's question marks over Rankin's stamina. He rarely bowls more than 15 overs an innings for Warwickshire.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 28 Oct 2013, 22:17

I hope Ballance does well and grabs the opportunity as he's looked all class whenever I've seen him. Is he ready? I guess we'll find out.

I think any one of Finn, Rankin, Tremlett and (back permitting) Bresnan is a flawed pick to some degree, so it's not one England can really get wrong (or right). It's just a punt.

It's a no brainer if they honestly believe Tremlett is fully fit and bowling at his pre-injury level. But I'm unconvinced he is.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 28 Oct 2013, 22:33

Dello wrote:I hope Ballance does well and grabs the opportunity as he's looked all class whenever I've seen him. Is he ready? I guess we'll find out.

I think any one of Finn, Rankin, Tremlett and (back permitting) Bresnan is a flawed pick to some degree, so it's not one England can really get wrong (or right). It's just a punt.

It's a no brainer if they honestly believe Tremlett is fully fit and bowling at his pre-injury level. But I'm unconvinced he is.
...Ballance was the only player on the lionette tour here to have left with his reputation enhanced
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 28 Oct 2013, 22:38

No lack of Ballance on this thread.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 28 Oct 2013, 22:41

jokes aside I think he is potentially the best english born bat since gower
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 29 Oct 2013, 00:02

horace wrote:jokes aside I think he is potentially the best english born bat since gower
Andrew Symonds
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next