Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paul Collingwood joins England coaching staff for Windies Tour

+7
PeterCS
beamer
LeFromage
lardbucket
spangler
Brass Monkey
eowyn
11 posters

Go down

Paul Collingwood joins England coaching staff for Windies Tour Empty Paul Collingwood joins England coaching staff for Windies Tour

Post by eowyn Wed 12 Feb 2014, 18:17

Paul Collingwood will join the England coaching staff for the West Indies tour & ICC World Twenty20 in Bangladesh.

“I am delighted that Paul has agreed to join the England coaching staff for the trips to the West Indies and Bangladesh. He was an outstanding performer for England and proved himself to be a successful captain in Twenty20 cricket and the county game. We are looking forward to the enthusiastic approach Paul brings to all the teams that he has been involved with over the years."
- Paul Downton, Managing Director England cricket

A Paul picking a Paul, like Giles n Giles, is it a new trend?

http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/articles/collingwood-joins-england-coaching-staff

Last edited by eowyn on Wed 12 Feb 2014, 18:25; edited 2 times in total
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Paul Collingwood joins England coaching staff for Windies Tour Empty Re: Paul Collingwood joins England coaching staff for Windies Tour

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 12 Feb 2014, 18:23

It'll be good to see how he gets on. PeterCS reckons he's top banana.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Paul Collingwood joins England coaching staff for Windies Tour Empty Re: Paul Collingwood joins England coaching staff for Windies Tour

Post by eowyn Wed 12 Feb 2014, 18:28

I hope he does OK, he always seemed a decent bloke.

England could do with a no nonsense down to earth northerner...
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by spangler Wed 12 Feb 2014, 19:24

Is Bumble the only non no nonsense Northerner?
spangler
spangler

Paul Collingwood joins England coaching staff for Windies Tour 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2554
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 12 Feb 2014, 20:07

If nothing else the fielding should improve ... I suspect he will bring a lot more to the team.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38101
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Wed 12 Feb 2014, 22:13

I had thought Collingwood would be a good bloke to join the set-up.

Then I read a "round table" interview with various cricket folk, including him, ponding where England go next after the Ashes debacle, and he wheeled out the benign platitudes of the Flower era: "Good players don't become bad players overnight." And: "These guys have great records stretching back a number of years."

His belief was that basically nothing much needed to change, they just needed to do better.

So I've reviewed my position on Colly and concluded that he's still too close to the previous regime - and the majority of the players - to be objective, and is likely to be just another cheerleader appointment, blowing smoke up their jacksies and steadfastly not rocking the boat.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Wed 12 Feb 2014, 22:20

He's going to be tainted by association with the coming era, in any case. Anyone with a bit of sense would stay away for a couple of years while the meltdown runs its course, and then hop on board with the new era of clean slate, no stale senior players and a fresh, ambitious head coach - and maybe captain - to build things up again.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 12 Feb 2014, 22:45

Both of those may prove to be correct.

In spite of all that, I still think it's at last a piece of good news re England cricket.

(In case that sounds contradictory, I'd rather have a tainted, too positive good influence than yet another drag and qunt.)
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 12 Feb 2014, 23:28

agree with Petey...I think Collingwood is a sensible bloke and will help England's slow recovery....less impressed with Angus Fraser's involvement

Last edited by horace on Wed 12 Feb 2014, 23:42; edited 1 time in total
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 12 Feb 2014, 23:32

Good luck to Colly.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105947
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 13 Feb 2014, 08:10

I agree with Dello, Colly is too close to the previous regime and too close to some of the current side to be effective. Give it two or three years and it might be a different story.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 13 Feb 2014, 08:48

After Dello's revelation, I'm liking him less
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 13 Feb 2014, 09:57

At least he's not a selector.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:41

Dello wrote:I had thought Collingwood would be a good bloke to join the set-up.

Then I read a "round table" interview with various cricket folk, including him, ponding where England go next after the Ashes debacle, and he wheeled out the benign platitudes of the Flower era: "Good players don't become bad players overnight." And: "These guys have great records stretching back a number of years."

His belief was that basically nothing much needed to change, they just needed to do better.

So I've reviewed my position on Colly and concluded that he's still too close to the previous regime - and the majority of the players - to be objective, and is likely to be just another cheerleader appointment, blowing smoke up their jacksies and steadfastly not rocking the boat.

He was one of the "but I average 40+" justifiers around 2008-09 when England's batting was going off the rails under Peter Moores.

Still, he was always a fiesty competitor. But as has been mentioned, he's unlikely to get stuck into them.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 13 Feb 2014, 14:49

spangler wrote:Is Bumble the only non no nonsense Northerner?

Athers. He's full of non-no-nonsense. And himself.

Then there's Harmi. He's been full of pretty much nothing in particular since 2004-05.

There are one or two others.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down