Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII)

+16
Red
Henry
Blackadder
Paul Keating
Hass
WideWally
G.Wood
Fred Nerk
Big Dog
horace
lardbucket
taipan
JGK
embee
Bradman
skully
20 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII) - Page 20 Empty Re: Aus Federal Politics thread (XII)

Post by embee Tue 02 Dec 2014, 05:20

horace wrote:Lap-band Jo's actual words were

"It’s not time for panic, it’s time for a rational approach to the challenges before us … we want Australians to spend money, we want them to have the confidence to go out there … we want Australians to go out and spend for Christmas, don’t let Santa down,” Hockey said.

It's an attempt at humour , h

Not as good as Smirky Pete's 'one for mum , one for dad and one for Australia' ...but way better than Fishnet Al's 'things that batter'
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26215
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII) - Page 20 Empty Re: Aus Federal Politics thread (XII)

Post by skully Tue 02 Dec 2014, 05:27

Well, aren't the Stooges in a lather. Cool
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105969
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 02 Dec 2014, 05:32

embee wrote:Political Trivia for skully

Which of the following was/were written by Ross Gittins.....

THIS budget isn’t as bad as Labor will claim ... I give Joe Hockey’s first budgetary exam a distinction on management of the macro economy, a credit on micro-economic reform ... the truth is most of us have been let off lightly ... everyone will be angry about the resumption of the indexation of fuel excise, so worked up they forget it will raise the price of a litre of petrol by about one cent a year ... Any experienced voter who allowed themselves to be persuaded that “Ju-liar” Gillard was the first and last prime minister to break an election promise should pay their $7 and ask a GP to check for amnesia. Labor supporters want to believe that ... we don’t really have a problem. They are refusing to face reality. After running budget deficits for six years in a row, we faced the prospect of at least another decade of deficits unless Hockey took steps to bring government spending and revenue back together ... The economy is expected to be a lot stronger by the time Tuesday’s measures take full ­effect.

WHO could have predicted what a hash a Coalition government would make of its first budget? ... In 40 years of budget-watching I’ve seen plenty of unfair budgets, but never one as bad as this.

THE notion that deregulating tuition fees would turn universities into an efficient, price-competitive market with no adverse consequences to speak of is first-years’ oversimplification, not evidence-based economics worthy of PhD-qualified econocrats.

THIS carefully measured approach is what wins Hockey high marks for macro-economic management. He claims his reforms will improve the economy’s performance. His best measures along those lines are the ­increased competition between ­universities ...

I wouldn't need a lifeline or phone-a-friend if this was the $million Q on Who Wants to Headbutt Eddie.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackadder Tue 02 Dec 2014, 07:47

http://www.news.com.au/national/university-reforms-package-voted-down-in-senate/story-fncynjr2-1227142460499

Another failure for the Govt, but the denial of this lot is seen by the attack Poodle Pyne saying a new bill will introduced into the House of Reps tomorrow and “It will be passed and sent to the Senate early next year. Great reform takes time.”

Blackadder

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII) - Page 20 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3959
Registration date : 2008-12-27
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 02 Dec 2014, 07:58

rofl at the brownies....

Embee - L-B Jo is very, very keen to keep up consumer demand. But he has a problem. The great unwashed (those in the bottom 9 household income deciles) are fearful for their jobs, their future and that of their kids and are at risk of being especially thrifty.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Tue 02 Dec 2014, 08:32

Another poll another pummelling.

Another day another defeat.

Another policy another failure.

A shambles of a government.

Election now!
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII) - Page 20 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 02 Dec 2014, 08:39

horace wrote:rofl at the brownies....

Embee - L-B Jo is very, very keen to keep up consumer demand. But he has a problem. The great unwashed  (those in the bottom 9 household income deciles) are fearful for their jobs, their future and that of their kids and are at risk of being especially thrifty.

horrie

In my 30 plus years of experience in tax returns I can say that whatever the economic climate , whatever the socio economic group , whatever the level of income , whatever the level of education , the taxpayers of Australia have an ability to spend every cent they earn (and more) and they always have enough for booze ciggies and christmas
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 02 Dec 2014, 08:48

embee wrote:
horace wrote:rofl at the brownies....

Embee - L-B Jo is very, very keen to keep up consumer demand. But he has a problem. The great unwashed  (those in the bottom 9 household income deciles) are fearful for their jobs, their future and that of their kids and are at risk of being especially thrifty.

horrie

In my 30 plus years of experience in tax returns I can say that whatever the economic climate , whatever the socio economic group , whatever the level of income , whatever the level of education , the taxpayers of Australia have an ability to spend every cent they earn (and more) and they always have enough for booze ciggies and christmas

Sage, and I don't think that is confined to Australia.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Tue 02 Dec 2014, 09:18

Serious question MB.

People who can afford to pay for tax returns are hardly a wide cross section of society.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 02 Dec 2014, 09:23

Is that a question or a statement?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Tue 02 Dec 2014, 09:24

Lol. Sorry it was statement.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 02 Dec 2014, 10:23

'people who can afford to pay for tax returns'

Do you mean 'taxpayers'? Mekong fused.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38112

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Tue 02 Dec 2014, 10:40

If I have a basic tax return I can go to an accountant and pay them $100

If it is more complex then I might be charged $400-$2000 to do a tax return.

These people can afford it.

There are others who lodge their tax returns directly with the ATO and don't get charged. They might be astute or they might not be able to afford getting a professional to help them.

Then there are people who might not lodge returns at all for various reasons. Can't be bothered, evading authorities, strategy whatever.

My point being is people who pay a professional to do a return is not representative of society.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 02 Dec 2014, 11:46

Glenn Lazarus 'doesn't want Australia to be a dumb country', full of dumb ...

Apparently he leaves on an overseas trip shortly, in line with his expressed wishes.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 02 Dec 2014, 11:54

Ponts

Not counting the mum and dad businesses that ran at losses

I've done tax returns for people who earned a full year of the dole (remembering I started in the 80's and that was fauck all) and people who earned over $400 000 and just about every number in between

and they all managed to spend every cent and cut out stuff to get their smokes and grog ...and celebrate christmas
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 02 Dec 2014, 12:04

exactly

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 02 Dec 2014, 12:45

embee wrote:Ponts

I've done tax returns for people who earned a full year of the dole (remembering I started in the 80's and that was fauck all) and people who earned over $400 000 and just about every number in between  

and they all managed to spend every cent and cut out stuff to get their smokes and grog ...and celebrate christmas

You've been dealing with the ATO that long? You are a saint.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 02 Dec 2014, 12:50

JGK wrote:

You've been dealing with the ATO that long?  You are a saint.

Don't you submit electronically?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 02 Dec 2014, 12:52

lardbucket wrote:Glenn Lazarus 'doesn't want Australia to be a dumb country', full of dumb ...

Apparently he leaves on an overseas trip shortly, in line with his expressed wishes.

Perhaps he should take Pyne with him...

During a defence of his relationship and dealing with the crossbenchers, Mr Pyne said he had a great relationship with his PUP senator "Dio Wong".

When questioned by 7.30 host Leigh Sales whether he had mispronounced Senator Wang's name, Mr Pyne said: "Some pronounce it Wang, some Wong - it depends on where you are in the spectrum."

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 02 Dec 2014, 12:53

taipan wrote:
JGK wrote:

Are you asking me or MB?

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 02 Dec 2014, 12:54

JGK wrote:
taipan wrote:
JGK wrote:

Are you asking me or MB?

Both I guess.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 02 Dec 2014, 13:03

yes

but you still have to deal with them "person to zombie" occasionally
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 02 Dec 2014, 13:04

Maybe I'm lucky. I push the button and they send me money the next day.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 02 Dec 2014, 13:43

But MB is a tax agent so inevitably will have to deal with the ATO from time to time.

FYI Taips - it was only last year that you could do your tax return on a Mac. Qunts. That's why I used a tax agent even though my background is tax as well.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 02 Dec 2014, 13:54

I chased the tax agent when he went 100>200>500

Also originally from a tax background.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next