Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phillip Hughes dies, aged 25

+40
basit
PlanetPakistan
Lara Lara Laughs
Growler
Henry Nolonga
Winkle Spinner
Invader Zim
SG
eowyn
Paul Keating
OP Tipping
tac
MoH
Bradman
Blackadder
Chivalry Augustus
PeterCS
tricycle
furriner
Brass Monkey
Merlin
Fred Nerk
lardbucket
WideWally
LeFromage
beamer
Neil D
Red
Basil
Big Dog
Nath
horace
skully
G.Wood
Ethics? The Gall!
JGK
embee
Henry
taipan
Hass
44 posters

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Go down

Phillip Hughes dies, aged 25  - Page 3 Empty Re: Phillip Hughes dies, aged 25

Post by taipan Tue 25 Nov 2014, 09:54

Fred Nerk wrote:No lardy, according to wiki (yeah I know) he tried to eat a Lever bouncer, I think we know the rest....wasn't pdy a VoR incarnation, which pretty much rules him out as a suspect in this particular 'spot the moron' contest?

Congrats taips, your Brownie points are in the mail.

Thanks.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Tue 25 Nov 2014, 09:59

Red wrote:An ABC tweet understandably caused consternation.

"Cricket NSW could not confirm if Phil Hughes was alive when he left SCG.
ab.co/1xQddgn"

If that was an actual ABC employee, the $254 million cut can be reduced by one wage.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8822
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:09

The more I hear about this, the more I think 'David Hookes' and a scenario very similar to 'one punch'.

I really hope the outcome is better, and perhaps even more fervently hope that it is not worse.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38126
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:23

lardbucket wrote:Re-reading the Knox piece, and just in the interests of accuracy, wasn't Chatfield struck over the heart, rather than in the head?

you might be thinking of Rick Darling being hit by Willis.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:24

The Indians have also rallied behind Phil Hughes, releasing a statement regarding his condition.

"The touring Indian cricket team extends its best wishes to Phil Hughes and his family at this time.

"We join with the rest of the cricket community around the world to offer our support and prayers to Phil and his family as well as our friends within Australian Cricket."

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Tue 25 Nov 2014, 10:26

Martin Bedkober was hit near his heart playing first grade in Brisbane.
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9702
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ethics? The Gall! Tue 25 Nov 2014, 11:13

lardbucket wrote:The more I hear about this, the more I think 'David Hookes' and a scenario very similar to 'one punch'..
especially with the thread title
Ethics? The Gall!
Ethics? The Gall!

Number of posts : 1911
Registration date : 2012-08-23
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue 25 Nov 2014, 11:48

Best wishes to Hughes and my prayers are with him and his family.

furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12508
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Tue 25 Nov 2014, 11:49

Awful news. Wish he recovers well.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 25 Nov 2014, 12:27

'I STILL HAVE GOOSEBUMPS': WITNESS SPEAKS
Nine News reporter Will Dempsey was watching the match at the ground when Phil Hughes was struck by the ball.
'I have still goosebumps. It was chilling,' Dempsey told Daily Mail Australia.
'There was this crack that echoed through the grounds. It was an eerie feeling, you knew something wasn't right.
'It didn't sound like leather hitting hard metal, it looked like a bouncer crept under his grill.
'Players ran to him as soon as he collapsed face first.
'Brad Haddin rolled Hughes onto his side and doctors were immediately at the grounds.
'Tom Cooper and David Warner stayed by his side for more than half an hour.
They worked on Phil for around 45 minutes.
'There was dead silence at the ground. No one in the stands spoke or move. No one left, unless they were moving closer to Hughes to help.
'Steve O'Keefe came off the ground crying. Hughes was loaded into one of two ambulances. It appeared that the helicopter landed at Paddington Barracks.
'Steve Smith came to the stands, visibly distressed.
'Speaking with Moises Henriques and Mark Waugh, Steve motioned to indicate that Phil had been hit underneath his jawline..
'Sean Abbott, who had bowled to Hughes, was in the dressing room the entire time. Players were comforting each other, many were crying.'
'It was the second ball to hit a player in five overs. It was fast bowling but Abbott's ball to Hughes was a bit sharper than usual.
'The ambulance changed direction to avoid the crowds. People and guards were yelling at people who were trying to take photos of Phil as they loaded him into the ambulance.
'Umpires were shouting 'get away, get away'
'David Warner had been at Phil's side and walked up to his fiancé and daughter in the stands for a warm hug - he was really upset.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-2848353/Australia-Test-cricketer-Phil-Hughes-induced-coma-struck-head-ball-collapsing-pitch.html#ixzz3K5BhHWH8
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Tue 25 Nov 2014, 12:40

Can think of one former NSW Premier who would have known exactly what to do regarding the candid camera crowd....

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8822
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 25 Nov 2014, 18:50

When a sudden death occurs to a sportsman, present or past, a common statement - perhaps almost a cliche' - is that "it puts it all in perspective".

It's not always clear the perspective lasts long, however.

This is one of those times that gives most people pause. If brief.

Clearly, you can argue it was a fluke: a not particularly express rising ball caught Phil Hughes in a small unprotected spot under the back of the helmet, as he swung (too fast?) to hook it.

But I have to say it reminds me why I dislike what Derek Birley called "the virility cult" that grew up in 19th century cricket. The famous quotes about blood on the pitch, hit you on the heart, crunching bone, etc.  To repeat, Abbott is no Thommo, Lillee, Peter Heine, etc etc, in terms of speed. A fluke.

Still, even a part-jesting relishing of physical damage is dodgy, I think. It's taking necessary aggression (in effort, willpower and determination) one step too far (towards wilful, malicious damaging intent).

It was noted on p1 above that Phil Hughes has copped a lot of flak on this forum. For poor technique, and worse still, an apparent refusal to address the technical shortcomings that have greatly reduced his effectiveness at Test level.

I don't see any contradiction between this criticism, on the one hand (as posters will know, I personally find humour-abandoning uber-levels of Anglo-Saxon rage a bit overrated: losing it beyond perspective can sound a bit desperate - but hey ... just a personal view): and on the other, a genuine desire for the batsman's speedy recovery,  and wishing him and those nearest to him the very best.

Anyway, the main thing is, like just about everyone above - another occasion which brings some of the best out of this Forum - I sincerely hope Hughes pulls through. (No pun intended!) And makes a full recovery.

And that meanwhile, those around him, and those closely involved in the incident, also keep their courage and spirits high.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Tue 25 Nov 2014, 19:14

Ahmed Shehzad makes a strong case again to be the twat of the year

My case was the same as Hughes's bt due 2 huge prayers 4m my mom frnds n fans made me able 2join training 2day.Alhamd

Wonder if the sun shines from his arse too? Or should that be rs?

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Tue 25 Nov 2014, 19:17

It's a terrible incident. I've always liked Phil Hughes and his eccentric style. I also think he's quite under-rated and will make a good international cricketer one day. Things look bleak now but I'm sure he'll pull through.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Phillip Hughes dies, aged 25  - Page 3 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Tue 25 Nov 2014, 20:35

This is a wake-up call for cricket even bigger than F1 has had recently... even in today's sanitised F1, there was always the thought in the background that motorsport will always carry risk and something serious will happen again one day. But professional cricket, with helmets? Barring perhaps an incident with a reckless close fielder minus headgear, it was barely foreseeable.

With the decline of Caribbean cricket we've all at times longed for a return to the days of the battery of bouncers from that fearsome pace attack, and others of that era. We've come to accept bouncers being routinely aimed at any tailender who tries to stick around, other than perhaps Chris Martin who was the only one in recent times really not skilled enough to defend himself.

Even accidental, or not-so-accidental, beamers... we tend to see these as a source of humour in the game more than anything else. Wouldn't have picked it as a username otherwise! I even find myself wanting pacemen to resolve a spat by letting one go with the token raised hand of apology. Like Jimmy Anderson with Jadeja, and Dale Steyn recently with Michael Clarke... the same Aussie captain who spent today visiting one of his team-mates left critically ill by what by all accounts was an unremarkable delivery.

Time for us all to reassess then, however this turns out, and another issue for the sport to address and come to terms with in this troubled era for it.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 25 Nov 2014, 21:02

Is it really a wake up call? Regrettable as today was, it was in truth a bit of a fluke accident. Similar to the Boucher incident.

Before someone gets on their high horse and accuses me of being insensitive I am saddened by today's occurrence and wish Hughes a speedy recovery.

But we must also beware of a knee jerk reaction and the fact is that cricket is safer today than ever before. If the rules are changed to limit fast bowling we will destroy an intrinsic part of the game. I would also suggest that people look into the head injuries inflicted in the various rugby codes.

Let's learn a lesson from this, try and improve the protective gear but not make wholesale changes.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 25 Nov 2014, 21:12

In addition umpires should be empowered to take more control of the game. There are rules about intimidatory bowling in place and the umpires should be encouraged and protected to enforce those rules. We all know what happened when they were stopped from calling throws.

It would also help if we stopped circuses like the Brett Lee/Piers Morgan farce. That really was a stain on the game.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Tue 25 Nov 2014, 21:13

I'm not saying "ban bouncers" or anything, though there will probably be people who do... just that we maybe need to rethink the way we view that sort of bowling.

Players will probably change the way they deal with it as well, it won't be such a casual thing for a while at least like it had become, the hooking, ducking and turning your back etc.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 25 Nov 2014, 22:09

Let's be honest- the danger involved, the adrenalin fast bowling and bouncers create....it's a drawcard. Safety is important, but the fact that players risk injury (as this incident has reminded us) is what makes cricket that little bit more exciting to watch and play. If we aim to make the game ultra-safe, say, by banning bouncers entirely, the crowds will be smaller, and the TV audience less.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Tue 25 Nov 2014, 22:19

Same as in many sports, really... motor sport as we've already mentioned, rugby, American football, boxing and martial arts, horse racing, all carry that sort of risk to participants which is part of the spectacle - we perhaps tend to overlook that in cricket compared to the sports of direct physical contact and high speed racing.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 25 Nov 2014, 22:35

There's not a lot else cricket can do to minimise the risks - a batsman could just as easily top edge a sweep off a spinner straight into his noggin and do himself a mischief if it catches him just under the lid.

Thankfully, these days, really serious incidents like this are incredibly rare. That doesn't make them any less gut wrenching but an element of danger is part of the deal the players all sign up for.

Except Tuffers. He had a note from his mum.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 25 Nov 2014, 23:06

It's thought that Hughes was wearing the older form of the Masuri (or similar make) helmet....
or so it was inferred on the ITN News.

They also had the MD of Masuri on the News this evening, explaining that their latest lid
has the grille attachment moved  6 cm further back along the helmet behind the ears
with the back of the helmet dropping down a further 2 to 3 cm so as to protect the back of the head/neck.

But yeah, as Taips mentioned earlier on this page, the hope is that this incident, frightening as it is,
should not in any way prohibit the use of bouncers. This must be retained as part of a quicks armoury.

Ban it and you take away the fundamental battle between bat and ball ... albeit, I do see the
Bannies supporting the idea, given their abhorrence of fast bowling (at them) and their inability
to produce a decent quick !!

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 25 Nov 2014, 23:22

Aaron is pretty sharp from what I've seen.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 25 Nov 2014, 23:23

Hmmnn...every post on this 'topic' makes sense...even when I disagree with it...I like this place, its love of cricket and humanity...hopefully the little fella pulls through but if he does and most importantly it is without significant long term brain injury.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackadder Tue 25 Nov 2014, 23:59

horace wrote:Hmmnn...every post on this 'topic' makes sense...even when I disagree with it...I like this place, its love of cricket and humanity...hopefully the little fella pulls through but if he does and  most importantly it is without significant long term brain injury.

Aye, nothing but best wishes for Phil Hughes.

Blackadder

Phillip Hughes dies, aged 25  - Page 3 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3959
Registration date : 2008-12-27
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next