Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kim Hughes....

+9
Henry
tac
skully
kkf
JKLever
Basil
WIFAN
Shoeshine
Aberforth
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Kim Hughes.... Empty Kim Hughes....

Post by Aberforth Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:06 am

Laughable actually

The circumstances of the match were largely overlooked. Until it was significantly pointed out by the Australian coach Tim Nielsen, so too was the recent history of the first Test at the Gabba. And comparisons with Australia's similar decline in the 1980s, when their overall win-lost ratio in 92 Tests was 18-36 (5-16 against West Indies), were conveniently ignored.

Instead, we had this supercilious comment from Malcolm Conn, the long-serving writer for the Australian: "Have the West Indies really sent their full-strength team to Australia? Surely the real team must be still on strike, because if this is the best the combined might of the Caribbean can muster, then Test cricket is in terminal decline."

He was in the Caribbean with the Australian team in 1984 when West Indies did not lose a single second innings wicket in the five Tests, winning the series 3-0 on the way to six successive victories. As I recall, no one suggested then that Test cricket was in terminal decline because of it.

Nor was there any consideration by the West Indies board that the series "should be cancelled and all tickets refunded", the line Ben Dorries came up with in the Brisbane Courier-Mail after the Brisbane match. And, as bad as the Aussies were back then, they were not chided that their Test cricket had become "a complete and utter joke", another of Dorries' pearls.

Th captain of Australia during that dismal period was Kim Hughes.In his 28 Tests at the helm, Australia lost 13 Tests, against four victories. He resigned in 1984 after his team had been beaten for the fifth successive time by the West Indies, ironically at the same Gabba.

He cut a forlorn figure as he openly wept in front of the assembled media, pleading: "The constant criticism, speculation and innuendo by former players over the past four or five years have finally taken their toll". Given such a background, he might have been expected to keep his thoughts about the present situation to himself. Instead, he weighed in.

West Indies, he charged, were "an embarrassment to themselves", adding that Chris Gayle doesn't believe in Test cricket and "his body language suggests he doesn't want to captain".

"I'm a passionate person about Test cricket and this was not a Test," Hughes added. It was an observation that could be applied to his last five Tests against West Indies that produced two defeats by an innings, two by ten wickets and one by eight wickets. As he made his whimpering exit from the captaincy, did Hughes think, as he did now, that "it's not fair on sponsors and the public, who would be asking `why did you accept this lot'
".

Aberforth

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2009-02-06
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Kim Hughes.... Empty Re: Kim Hughes....

Post by Shoeshine Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:16 am

Anyone with the interests of world cricket at heart will be deeply concerned by the plight of the West Indies. But it is also true that people are quick to forget that things go in cycles a lot of the time. It's not that long ago we had some people talking about the Ashes dying because it was so one-sided.

Shoeshine

Kim Hughes.... Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-07
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:05 am

That is an absolutely outstanding article by Cozier. IMO he has been pretty disappointing in recent years but he is back to his best in this article, putting the Australian media in their place. The likes of Malcolm Conn, Ben Dories and Jamie Panderam have shown a complete lack of class in the last week or so.

I just pray the players get it together in Adelaide just to shove their crassness back in their faces. Come on guys, do it for West Indians everywhere! We do not deserve this level of abuse from Aussie journalists, who just as someone on cricinfo said, 'are only just above slugs in the evolutionary process.

Last edited by WIFAN on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
WIFAN
WIFAN

Kim Hughes.... 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2857
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:09 am

Shoeshine wrote:Anyone with the interests of world cricket at heart will be deeply concerned by the plight of the West Indies. But it is also true that people are quick to forget that things go in cycles a lot of the time. It's not that long ago we had some people talking about the Ashes dying because it was so one-sided.

All we had to do was to wait for (TGM)2 to get crocked or retire.....

In 2000 and 2004 I shouted in exultation at the Windies' humiliation. They had inflicted too much pain on England for far too long. But now watching them play tests is like watching a puppy get kicked about.

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:20 am

Rob I wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:Anyone with the interests of world cricket at heart will be deeply concerned by the plight of the West Indies. But it is also true that people are quick to forget that things go in cycles a lot of the time. It's not that long ago we had some people talking about the Ashes dying because it was so one-sided.

All we had to do was to wait for (TGM)2 to get crocked or retire.....

In 2000 and 2004 I shouted in exultation at the Windies' humiliation. They had inflicted too much pain on England for far too long. But now watching them play tests is like watching a puppy get kicked about.

Indeed. But we did win the Wisden Trophy back earlier this year, if only for a month Very Happy. It's ok to want to thrash us as a result of what happened in the 80's and if we ever get strong again I will want us to humiliate England and Australia mercilessly for what they have put us through in the last 15 years. But the questioning of our test status, the 2 division test cricket, the constant talking about attendance figures that are no worse than last year etc is just crassness of the highest order.

We did not question Australia's test status when they were at their lowest. In fact as Garner points out, they used us to boost revenues. Some people have really short memories....
WIFAN
WIFAN

Kim Hughes.... 7EoDRAk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:36 am

WIFAN wrote:
Indeed. But we did win the Wisden Trophy back earlier this year, if only for a month Very Happy.

England were complacent. It was just the size 12 in the arse that they needed.

The balance of the side that fought the previous test seemed all wrong to me. What was Bravo doing at #5?

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:41 am

The idea is to give him more responsibility with the bat because whenever he bats up the order he makes far more runs and they know he has the talent and capability to average 40 at test level.

Unfortunately with our current bowling attack he is going to have to bowl 30 overs or more every innings and it is just too much to ask of him to bat at 5, especially when the top order was failing so spectacularly.

The biggest problem with the 1st test was that the batting looked hopelessly undercooked, particularly Gayle (who was still jet-lagged it has to be said) and Chanderpaul (who is not only undercooked but is rumoured to be going through maritial problems as well). Of course Sarwan has been our best batsman this year by some distance and he was injured.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Kim Hughes.... 7EoDRAk

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:50 am

WIFAN wrote:Indeed. But we did win the Wisden Trophy back earlier this year, if only for a month Very Happy.

It was terrible cricket though. The pitches were so lifeless and dull that even hardened test cricket fanatics were bored out of their minds. If that's the way it is to be done in future, then you will get about 4 people coming along and watching, irrespective of the standard of the West Indies team.

Shoeshine

Kim Hughes.... Svlx7uN

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:59 am

Yes but on the only decent wicket we thrashed you with an excellent brand of cricket. Disciplined batting followed by stumps flying all over the place.

At that point things were very much looking up but fate had other ideas.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Kim Hughes.... 7EoDRAk

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:21 am

WIFAN wrote:Yes but on the only decent wicket we thrashed you with an excellent brand of cricket. Disciplined batting followed by stumps flying all over the place.

At that point things were very much looking up but fate had other ideas.

It's not the result that really wound me up - England lost that match and deserved to. No issue at all with that, and please, please don't confuse my point with unhappiness about that result - it's an entirely separate issue. My comment concerned the horrendous rest of the series, when the cricket was turgid enough to turn off anyone. All because of the pitches. That kind of thing kills cricket. If the Windies had 4-0 fine, we'd have had a chance of results. But that series, Jesus it was utterly unwatchable at times, the bowlers didn't have a prayer.

Shoeshine

Kim Hughes.... Svlx7uN

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:27 am

We had our chances to take that series, but:

a) We weren't good enough
b) Strauss's captaincy was too conservative

Saying that, nearly a year later, we are a more hardened/cohesive unit and, frankly, we would butcher the Windies now if that series was re-run.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:36 am

Not sure we would. That's my problem, not the result or the performance, which was lamentable in itself.

My problem was with the way in which dead pitches were prepared and the cost to Test cricket accordingly. The trouble is, if you lose a series, then it's all too easy for people to sneer that it's sour grapes, but it really isn't. Pitches as disastrously flat as those were (I except the Antigua match as they did a remarkable job preparing any pitch in the end) make the game boring. Simple as that. Boring.

Shoeshine

Kim Hughes.... Svlx7uN

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:40 am

Basil wrote:We had our chances to take that series, but:

Saying that, nearly a year later, we are a more hardened/cohesive unit and, frankly, we would butcher the Windies now if that series was re-run.

Well in fairness England have been playing constant cricket whereas we had a players strike and crippling injuries to some of our best performers.

As for shoeshine's comments about the pitches away from Sabina Park, he is of course completely right. Barbados is actually a good surface more often than not with pace and bounce, but they did not leave enough grass on that pitch and so the ball didn't move. Having said that we would have come close to winning that test if all those catches had been taken of Fidel's bowling (the poor guy doesn't have very much luck and has missed out on 20/30 test wickets due to awful fielding).

Unfortunately the other pitches are just roads all the time and the WICB has done absolutely nothing to rectify the situation.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Kim Hughes.... 7EoDRAk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:35 am

Basil wrote:We had our chances to take that series, but:

Fortunately a) Jimmy and Draco improved somewhat due to those flat tracks, while Swanneee!!! advanced as a credible wicket taker and b) Strauss is marginally more adventurous. Or maybe he is not, but the bowling is better.

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:47 am

I still remember WIFAN decrying Swanneeee!!! when he got smacked for 0-159 by who was it? Can't remember - someone who was found out on the return trip.

Good times.

WIFAN and Cozier definitely have a point - though when you're getting your arse whacked every other series having once been a decent side - people do tend to look down their noses at you. I definitely felt that in the 80's - like sh!t, you guys know you're too good for us and are treating us with contempt.

The only way to get over it is on the pitch. It's why Englands win in Jamaica in 1990 is one of my favourite test results.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:02 am

Two guys gave Swanny an absolute hiding. One Lendl Simmons who was a bit of a disappointment against the fast bowlers in May I freely admit.

The other was a certain Adrian Barath. Now he's been in the news a bit recently hasn't he? Very Happy Barath is excellent against spin, unlike Devon Smith who any half decent finger spinner has a field day against.

But yes I was wrong to decry Swanny on that occasion as I had not seen him bowl for a year or so and he had obviously improved a huge amount from his previous performances in totesport cricket live on Sky.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Kim Hughes.... 7EoDRAk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:02 am

JKLever wrote:It's why Englands win in Jamaica in 1990 is one of my favourite test results.

Rrrrrrrrrrrr! Evil or Very Mad But for blatant WI timewasting in the third test, we would have taken that series.

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:16 am

Which may just have been the biggest series upset of all time - Englands side was a complete hotpotch.

Gooch, Smith & Lamb just about the only reliable bats and Angus Fraser leading the attack in his first year in test cricket.

Nasser & Stewie making their test debuts, and bizarrely Wayne Larkins getting a test match.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:18 am

WIFAN wrote:Two guys gave Swanny an absolute hiding. One Lendl Simmons who was a bit of a disappointment against the fast bowlers in May I freely admit.

The other was a certain Adrian Barath. Now he's been in the news a bit recently hasn't he? Very Happy Barath is excellent against spin, unlike Devon Smith who any half decent finger spinner has a field day against.

But yes I was wrong to decry Swanny on that occasion as I had not seen him bowl for a year or so and he had obviously improved a huge amount from his previous performances in totesport cricket live on Sky.

Ah yes Simmons & Barath. Well 1 out of 2 aint bad!
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by kkf Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:10 am

JKLever wrote:
WIFAN wrote:Two guys gave Swanny an absolute hiding. One Lendl Simmons who was a bit of a disappointment against the fast bowlers in May I freely admit.

Ah yes Simmons & Barath. Well 1 out of 2 aint bad!

Don't rule out Simmons yet. He is still young. Very Good bat. Ok bowler, excellent fielder and a decent keeper as well. I think we'll be seeing more of him in the future.

kkf

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:00 am

Now Simmons has had a taste of test cricket he needs to tighten up his technique and stop playing across the line so much. I'm sure he is working on it now and hopefully we will see a truck load of runs in the 4 day competition.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Kim Hughes.... 7EoDRAk

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:42 am

Worrying about what Aussie cricket journos write is akin to worrying about Global Warming. It means fark all and there's nowt you can do about it. shrug
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105942
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:59 am

indeed, like worrying about what vikas or bucky might post next . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:47 am

If they were just writing stereotypical insults it wouldn't be a problem, but these guys are questioning our test status, saying things like the test series should be cancelled and spectators refunded before it even happened.

Once cannot just stand there and take that sort of abuse, particularly the cricketers out in Australia now. If they are not motivated in the 2nd test after this abuse I'm not sure they ever will be.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Kim Hughes.... 7EoDRAk

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:55 am

Darren Bravo has more potential that Lendl Simmons, imo. Kieron Pollard shouldn't be written off either. There's also the prodigy Craigg Braithwaite, who scored something like 50 centuries in junior cricket.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next