Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'my duds better than your duds'

+11
Big Dog
JGK
embee
Bradman
Blackadder
Nath
tricycle
Fred Nerk
taipan
Basil
lardbucket
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

'my duds better than your duds' - Page 2 Empty Re: 'my duds better than your duds'

Post by embee Thu 01 Jan 2015, 11:49

lardbucket wrote:Hmmm ... My 1 Test Dud keeper is either Phil Emery or Graham Manou

Hammy Love ...5&3 and 3 catches

played the last bodyline test after Oldie got injured

embee
embee

Number of posts : 26204
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

'my duds better than your duds' - Page 2 Empty Re: 'my duds better than your duds'

Post by lardbucket Thu 01 Jan 2015, 11:57

Aye.

Paul Hibbert does make my OTDs (one test duds); I thought he had had a second chance, but no ... he's a lock in with two low scores and no catches.

I like the look of 1932's Bill Hunt, too, as my left arm spinner.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38092
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Thu 01 Jan 2015, 11:57

Same situation as Manou or Emery, but I'd vote for Hammy Love just for his name....

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8810
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 01 Jan 2015, 11:58

Fred Nerk wrote:What about that Tasmanian back in the very early days that they picked as keeper and they when they got to England they found the selectors had mixed him up with another bloke, and he'd never kept wicket in his life?

That was Ken Burn, IIRC. I've got nothing else for you about him, but you can thank me for that.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Thu 01 Jan 2015, 12:03

Although 3 catches is an innings and a half is only average rather than bad. Dim Tim or Greg Diabolical were quite capable of dropping that many before the shine was off. Any record of the Hamster dropping any?

EDIT: Ken Burn played two Tests as a batsman (before he was fired....) and averaged 10.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 01 Jan 2015, 12:05

so far I've got:

Paul Hibbert
Ken Eastwood (bit worried about his wicket though)
Shaun Young
Joe Burns
Les Joslin
Roy Park
Hammy Love
Ross Duncan
Bryce McGain
Bill Hunt
Dan Cullen

That's a low-scoring, poor bowling mob, but I'm sure with a bit more effort I can find an Australian XI who concede more runs, take fewer wickets, and score fewer runs themselves.

It is worth noting that Jeff Thomson and Shane Warne might well have made this side after their first tests, as would Graham Gooch for England. Many who performed as they did on debut never got another go.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Thu 01 Jan 2015, 12:09

Confusion reigned about Burn right to the end. He's listed by Crocinfo as "Edwin James Kenneth" but his Wisden obit called him Kenneth Edward.

Paul Wilson has to get a gig ahead of Duncan, who at least was economical and only got to play half a Test before doing his knee.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Thu 01 Jan 2015, 12:13

If you're going to name three spinners who all can't bat in the one XI I think you should also nominate which selection panel picked the team...

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Thu 01 Jan 2015, 12:14

Four spinners who couldn't bat if you count Clint....

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Thu 01 Jan 2015, 12:22

Hugh Morley Thurlow played in Hunt's match and scored 0, opened the bowling and conceded 86 runs without taking a wicket. He never played another Test.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 01 Jan 2015, 12:34

What about Thurlow. Picked as the strike bowler. Couldn't take a wicket in a match McCabe took two (though Stan was a useful change bowler) and contributed nothing with the bat by getting run out and leaving Bradman stranded on 299 (wear that one Sean).

TTBF we may not have seen the best of his batting because he may not have even faced a ball.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 01 Jan 2015, 12:46

Fred Nerk wrote:Paul Wilson has to get a gig ahead of Duncan, who at least was economical and only got to play half a Test before doing his knee.

yep, good point

Ross Duncan played a ROW "Test" as well and he was actually useful at Shield level

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 01 Jan 2015, 12:48

Fred Nerk wrote:Hugh Morley Thurlow played in Hunt's match and scored 0, opened the bowling and conceded 86 runs without taking a wicket. He never played another Test.

Bye bye Dan Cullen

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 01 Jan 2015, 12:51

progress on The Duds:

Paul Hibbert
Ken Eastwood (bit worried about his wicket though)
Shaun Young
Joe Burns
Les Joslin
Roy Park
Hammy Love
Hugh Thurlow
Bryce McGain
Bill Hunt
Paul Wilson

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 01 Jan 2015, 12:55

You don't want to differentiate between the selections on "merit" and the stop-gap selections? Reading some of the player profiles there's a couple who might be worthy additions to your team, particularly in the early years, but were seat warmers.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 01 Jan 2015, 13:01

No, leave the criteria as outlined in the initial post ... the only additional criterion I thought about was one that required 20 dismissals to have occurred in the selected side, so that The Duds were all out twice for their disgraceful total. I thought that was too difficult.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 01 Jan 2015, 13:04

I spose. No pairs amongst the oncers anyway.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 01 Jan 2015, 13:04

John McIlwraith (RHB), the Les Joslin of 1886, comes in to replace Joe Burns, who wouldn't have stayed in my side for long anyway.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 01 Jan 2015, 13:21

Clint McKay.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 01 Jan 2015, 13:59

Bradman wrote:What about Thurlow.  Picked as the strike bowler.  Couldn't take a wicket in a match McCabe took two (though Stan was a useful change bowler) and contributed nothing with the bat by getting run out and leaving Bradman stranded on 299 (wear that one Sean).

TTBF we may not have seen the best of his batting because he may not have even faced a ball.

Yes - the fact he he stranded The Don may have had something to do with the fact he stayed at one test.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Thu 01 Jan 2015, 14:39

Wasn't it Bradman that called for the 2 to get to 300 before tea?

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 02 Jan 2015, 00:03

Harry Musgrave (1885) might come in for Roy Park, despite the latter's stellar one ball career, or perhaps for Ken Eastwood* ... on the grounds that he was dismissed twice for very low scores, and *did not take a cheap wicket.

Clint McKay is a good suggestion, but I think the total duds in my bowling unit keep him out.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Fri 02 Jan 2015, 00:26

Took a catch too, but a lot of the duds did.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 02 Jan 2015, 01:39

GF Grace? Not only a pair but this.

On 22 September 1880, Two weeks after his Test appearance, Fred Grace died in Basingstoke, Hampshire of pneumonia, caught, it was said, as the result of sleeping in a damp bed.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Grace

taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Fri 02 Jan 2015, 01:41

Obviously didn't follow the standard rule about wet patches.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum