Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gilchrist's greatest innings

+3
Brass Monkey
tricycle
DJ_Smerk
7 posters

Go down

Gilchrist's greatest innings Empty Gilchrist's greatest innings

Post by Guest Sun 12 Jul 2015, 18:52

There was a short interview with Gilchrist on Sky Sports 2 just now where he was asked what his greatest innings was. He nominated the 49 he scored in this match

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/64100.html

It was the 7th highest score in the match, scored at a decent but not massively out of the ordinary strike rate. The match ended in a draw.

Am I missing something? Of all the outstanding innings he made I can't fathom how he considers this his greatest.

Back to top Go down

Gilchrist's greatest innings Empty Re: Gilchrist's greatest innings

Post by DJ_Smerk Sun 12 Jul 2015, 18:58

Best Gilly innings was during the 2000/2001 series in India. His 122 in Mumbai turned the game in Australia's favour.

In fact it was his only notable performance with the bat in that series.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Jul 2015, 19:12

Did you see the innings I mentioned? I can't see how a non match winning performance that seems to be the 7th best batting performance in the match could be seen as his best.

Could be trolling I guess.

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Sun 12 Jul 2015, 19:12

Went to that match. F*cking Gillespie. Captaining the side and taking the call to bat at 3 definitely influenced his choice imo. Not to mention, what in the next match became, by then, a very rare series win in India. Martyn was better in that innings.

As Smerk says, Mumbai in 2001 was his best in India.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun 12 Jul 2015, 19:38

Hmm, strange one!
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Sun 12 Jul 2015, 21:29

I understand what you mean now Vilko.

Very strange choice from Gilly.

But then again it might be under particular circumstances. Problems on the field, off the field, low moral in the squad during the tour, injuries, the pressures of captaining the team and so on.

Rain washed out the final day, and there was a worry of Sehwag going into beast mode. Without Gilly's 49, 181 to win would have looked a straight forward chase with a day in hand. Maybe he thought with a monsoon due, the 49 bought enough time to see out the day and save the match.

Take out that 49 and you're left with 13.4 spare overs (80 balls), on top of the additional 3 that India actually batted on the fourth day. Sixteen or so overs to make 181, Sehwag would have given it a go for sure.

Still makes no sense though.

Or like you say, he's just playing witcha.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 12 Jul 2015, 23:19

That was the Last Frontier serie. If Aust lose that match they probably don't win the series.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 12 Jul 2015, 23:47

He took the attack to Kumble late on Day 3 (as MrK says - on the Last Frontier tour - Gilly lead us to victory in T1 & T3 to secure the series after Drunky had busted a finger in a lead up to T1). It was a brilliant display on a turning wicket. He was looking for quick runs to set a target. Kumble got him very late with a wrong'un that turned from outside leg and clipped leg stump. Marto batted well on Day 4 (with nightwatchman Dizzy - who outlasted him) to get the target to a challenging 229. The last day was rained out with the game very evenly balanced.

A top knock but not his greatest IMHO. His 140-odd not out in his 2nd Test was a thing of rare beauty. He scored two big tons in NZ when we were struggling at 5 for not that many. He added 2x200 stands for the 6th wickets in successive Tests - one with Fleas and one with Marto. Then there was his brilliant 200 v SAf in SAf. He had many Ashes masterpieces. Very hard to pick his best.

I miss Gilly.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105983
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Jul 2015, 08:36

Me too. Particularly 2005 Gilly Twisted Evil .

Not so much 2006/7.... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Jul 2015, 08:37

Although that's actually not really true. Anyone who can score a century pretty much as quickly as Viv is someone I want to see playing cricket, no matter what team he is on.

Can't believe he's been gone for so long, doesn't feel that long ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 13 Jul 2015, 10:32

vilkrang wrote:There was a short interview with Gilchrist on Sky Sports 2 just now where he was asked what his greatest innings was. He nominated the 49 he scored in this match

It was the 7th highest score in the match, scored at a decent but not massively out of the ordinary strike rate. The match ended in a draw.

Am I missing something? Of all the outstanding innings he made I can't fathom how he considers this his greatest.

Are you sure you didn't mis-hear him? You heard 49. Perhaps you heard 149 and this match?-

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63855.html
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 13 Jul 2015, 10:39

I think he must have nominated that game because he was captain and because he decided to bat at number 3, when we were under real pressure, against bowlers who were well on top. His innings made the difference between a loss and a draw, I think. Martyn's innings was better but that wasn't the question Gilly was asked; he was asked what HIS best innings was.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Mon 13 Jul 2015, 11:28

Henry, definitely heard it right. I've seen him claim it's his best innings too and he's mentioned it in his autobiography too. A few of us have mentioned above the possible reason. That was also one of the loudest crowds I was in (didn't go in 2001). Chasing was usually tough there, but still thought India were in a very good position when it rained.

vilkrang wrote:Although that's actually not really true. Anyone who can score a century pretty much as quickly as Viv is someone I want to see playing cricket, no matter what team he is on.

Can't believe he's been gone for so long, doesn't feel that long ago.
Unless he's Misbah in his sedate form.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Jul 2015, 12:29

Henry wrote:
vilkrang wrote:There was a short interview with Gilchrist on Sky Sports 2 just now where he was asked what his greatest innings was. He nominated the 49 he scored in this match

Are you sure you didn't mis-hear him? You heard 49. Perhaps you heard 149 and this match?-

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63855.html
100% sure, he mentioned batting at 3 and the fact he was captain for it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down