Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England tour of India

5 posters

Go down

England tour of India Empty England tour of India

Post by tricycle Fri 21 Oct 2016, 10:05

Will feature DRS

India have agreed to use DRS for the upcoming Test series against England on a "trial basis" to "evaluate the improvements made" in the system. India had played in the first series with umpire reviews, against Sri Lanka in 2008, but this will be their first bilateral contest since then with all the components of the DRS - including ball-tracking technology - in place.

"We are happy to note that Hawkeye has institutionalised all the recommendations made by BCCI, and we confirm that this improved version of DRS will be used on a trial basis during the forthcoming series against England," the BCCI president Anurag Thakur said. "Based on the performance of the system and the feedback that we will receive, further continuation in forthcoming series will be decided."

link

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

England tour of India Empty Re: England tour of India

Post by Aditya Fri 21 Oct 2016, 11:28

not good

Aditya

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2010-12-08
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by jim rich Sat 22 Oct 2016, 12:03

tricycle wrote:Will feature DRS

India have agreed to use DRS for the upcoming Test series against England on a "trial basis" to "evaluate the improvements made" in the system. India had played in the first series with umpire reviews, against Sri Lanka in 2008, but this will be their first bilateral contest since then with all the components of the DRS - including ball-tracking technology - in place.

"We are happy to note that Hawkeye has institutionalised all the recommendations made by BCCI, and we confirm that this improved version of DRS will be used on a trial basis during the forthcoming series against England," the BCCI president Anurag Thakur said. "Based on the performance of the system and the feedback that we will receive, further continuation in forthcoming series will be decided."

link
As long as you have an umpire like Bruce Oxfart functioning under the auspices of the ICC as one who gets 95% of his decisions correct, people will always see the UDRS as essential (not that it isn’t). The man is as blind as a bat and as deaf as a white cat with blue eyes. I’ll refrain from saying anything about his phobia of being hit.

The UDRS is undoubtedly essential, but in my opinion it will always remain flawed if one does not incorporate the automatic intervention of the tv umpire for every “out” decision. How does one explain away the “umpire’s decision” in reviews? The ICC, by keeping this option as an alternative, is only covering its own back and factually affirming that the very system they wish to introduce could, at times, be flawed. A batsman is either out or not out if and when the system says so because the projected bath of the ball is allegedly precise. That would be the implication of introducing the system.

Limiting the amount of reviews flaws the system even further and could easily be done away with by requiring the third umpire to intervene (even without an appeal) when a gaffe becomes clearly evident. The umpire is human but the captain of a team isn’t. After conceding his quantum of reviews he gives carte blanche to a perhaps blundering umpire.

jim rich

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 24 Oct 2016, 19:24

Jimmy will miss the first two tests apparently. I wonder if we're beginning to see then end. He's at that age when bowlers often don't come back well from a long lay-off
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Tue 25 Oct 2016, 16:27

Who next when he goes? I'd like to cheer that Batty might play, but the Udal memories are still around.

Also, if Dharmasena's umpiring, thank f*ck for DRS.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 25 Oct 2016, 18:14

[quote="tricycle"]Who next when he goes? I'd like to cheer that Batty might play, but the Udal memories are still around.

Also, if Dharmasena's umpiring, thank f*ck for DRS.[/quote

The nearest to a like-for-like replacement would be Woakes and he's already in the side. So, in terms of filling the spare place, there's Ball, Finn, and Wood (if/when fit). Don't rule out David Willey either.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Fri 28 Oct 2016, 23:28

Basil wrote:Jimmy will miss the first two tests apparently. I wonder if we're beginning to see then end. He's at that age when bowlers often don't come back well from a long lay-off

I really hope we aren't, Bas - but if he's only got a few more internationals I'm heartened by the fact that our attack doesn't look completely hopeless when he's absent. Woakes is a different bowler altogether from a couple of years ago, and Stokes is improving all the time.

I've hardly seen any cricket this year, so can't really say much - but I still fear we're prone to falling in a heap batting wise, and think we'll turn Buttler into a test batsman before we make Bairstow anything like a proper wicketkeeper.
Growler
Growler

England tour of India MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 30 Oct 2016, 10:55

Some serious thinking needs to be done by England's selectors - Ballance is done I think, for this tour at any rate.

And I hope that they abandon the three-spinner / three seamer attack - it has hardly ever served us well.

I would send for Liam Plunkett - he is far and away our quickest bowler now that Wood is injured.

My team for the first test:

Cook
Duckett
Root
Moeen
Buttler
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes
Rashid
Broad
Plunkett