Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Channel 442 tonight - JKL's big moment tonight

4 posters

Go down

Channel 442 tonight - JKL's big moment tonight Empty Channel 442 tonight - JKL's big moment tonight

Post by GordoninPortsmouth Tue 15 Jan 2008, 17:55

Yes its the 1989 B&H Final on tonight on ESPN Classic (Channel 442) at 8:00pm.

Check out how our left-arm Essex hero handles the pressure expertly and puts that overweight, middle aged offspinner Eddie Hemmings in his place........

......or not as the case maybe Wink

1989 - what a great year!!!!

GordoninPortsmouth

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-01-08
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Channel 442 tonight - JKL's big moment tonight Empty Re: Channel 442 tonight - JKL's big moment tonight

Post by JKLever Tue 15 Jan 2008, 18:38

LOL, I just saw it on the TV listings you bastard!! Very Happy

Fwapped in the Ashes, Essex robbed of the county championship by the Worcs thieves and Eddie hitting a 4 off the last ball to win for Notts.

I'll admit I threw something at the telly in a girly strop.

Think i'll watch it up to the last ball and convince myself we won.

The feckers showed us managing to screw up the 1984 B&H too earlier last week.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Channel 442 tonight - JKL's big moment tonight Empty Re: Channel 442 tonight - JKL's big moment tonight

Post by Basil Tue 15 Jan 2008, 18:43

JKLever wrote:LOL, I just saw it on the TV listings you bastard!! Very Happy

Fwapped in the Ashes, Essex robbed of the county championship by the Worcs thieves and Eddie hitting a 4 off the last ball to win for Notts.

I'll admit I threw something at the telly in a girly strop.

Think i'll watch it up to the last ball and convince myself we won.

The feckers showed us managing to screw up the 1984 B&H too earlier last week.

Is that the faintest smell of sour grapes I detect?
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 15 Jan 2008, 18:47

No, it's a great big glass of whine Bas Very Happy

Seriously, i'm still bitter about 1989 to this day. How the hell we were caned 25 points for a ropey pitch when our rivals got away with playing 2 day games all season at the seamers paradise that was New Road i'll never know.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 15 Jan 2008, 19:07

JKLever wrote:No, it's a great big glass of whine Bas Very Happy

Seriously, i'm still bitter about 1989 to this day. How the hell we were caned 25 points for a ropey pitch when our rivals got away with playing 2 day games all season at the seamers paradise that was New Road i'll never know.

Two games at New Road finished in 2 days - one against the Aussies (which we won Laughing Laughing) - the other against Middlesex, which we lost - not convincing proof is it?

Two of the four day games played finished in three days, but that hardly counts as it is not such a rare occurrence.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 15 Jan 2008, 19:12

Come on, everybody in the country knew you were producing dodgy decks to suit your seamers.

This is the game we were deducted 25 points from
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1989/ENG_LOCAL/CC/ESSEX_KENT_CC_19-20JUL1989.html

Just looks like Kent couldn't handle our world class attack thats all Very Happy
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 15 Jan 2008, 19:14

Actually thinking about the final, if I remember back to when I was 16 - Franklyn Stephenson did Brian Hardie up like a kipper with one of the best slower balls you've ever seen.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 15 Jan 2008, 19:22

JKLever wrote:Come on, everybody in the country knew you were producing dodgy decks to suit your seamers.

This is the game we were deducted 25 points from
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1989/ENG_LOCAL/CC/ESSEX_KENT_CC_19-20JUL1989.html

Just looks like Kent couldn't handle our world class attack thats all Very Happy

Any pitch where Pringle takes ten in a match deserves to be reported FFS! Wink

There was a genuine attempt at New Road in the late 80s to produce pitches with some pace and bounce - don't forget the square there used to utterly lifeless. Granted that co-incided with the recruitment of Radford, Dilley and Botham - but so what? Notts did it some years previously and Trent Bridge was a fair pitch - even Eddie Hemmings got a few wickets.

Sadly, the experiment failed and we ended up with pitches where the ball went sideways off the seam and the bounce was unreliable. Truth be told, I dont think the square has ever truly recovered from that episode.

And we can't blame the flooding - the ground flooded just as often in the sixties and seventies and the pitches were complete roads.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 15 Jan 2008, 19:26

I see New Rd has had another deluge too. What wazzock made their cricket ground on a flood plain?
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 15 Jan 2008, 19:34

Ahem. Aggrieved for years about how Worcs could skittle people on a seamer friendly pitch, yet Northants get docked point for a spinning pitch where the opposition would play three spinners and we'd get 450 and we'd wipe them away twice for next to nothing.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 15 Jan 2008, 19:34

It was the club chairman in the 1890s - we were a minor county at the time, and he decided that a new ground was required for first class cricket.

It floods nearly every winter - so I don't see that as a great problem TBH as far as the playing area is concerned. Once the ground is redeveloped (3 years or so depending on the finance) all the non-playing facilities will be above any likely flood level.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 15 Jan 2008, 19:36

Yeah but thats Northants isn't it? Doesn't really matter much
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 15 Jan 2008, 19:40

JKLever wrote:Yeah but thats Northants isn't it? Doesn't really matter much

Phurt. We were well up there back in that day. So eat some jam toast whilst you're doing an Irish jig.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 15 Jan 2008, 19:43

Batfink Begins wrote:

Phurt. We were well up there back in that day. So eat some jam toast whilst you're doing an Irish jig.

I don't think so. I never really considered Nhants a title threat tbh.

Middx,Notts & Worcs mainly.

You were just a bit too Spurs really Wink
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 15 Jan 2008, 19:52

JKLever wrote:
Batfink Begins wrote:

I don't think so. I never really considered Nhants a title threat tbh.

Middx,Notts & Worcs mainly.

You were just a bit too Spurs really Wink

Phurt. Well yeah, that season. The year you won the title tho, we were unlucky with the wedder producing so many draws. We'dve pumped some of those teams. Didn't lost much.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by GordoninPortsmouth Tue 15 Jan 2008, 20:05

JKLever wrote:Actually thinking about the final, if I remember back to when I was 16 - Franklyn Stephenson did Brian Hardie up like a kipper with one of the best slower balls you've ever seen.

Yep....just seen it.

The ball before was the same and just missed off stump.

GordoninPortsmouth

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 15 Jan 2008, 20:58

Some of the ground fielding was ordinary - and what was garnham doing standing back to lever in that last over? Good game though.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by GordoninPortsmouth Tue 15 Jan 2008, 21:12

JKL definitely cost Essex the game - what with 2 dropped catches and numerous misfields - not to mention that last ball Wink

GordoninPortsmouth

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 15 Jan 2008, 21:15

GordoninPortsmouth wrote:JKL definitely cost Essex the game - what with 2 dropped catches and numerous misfields - not to mention that last ball Wink

Should have been put out to pasture years previously!
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 15 Jan 2008, 21:23

That was his last season, bowed out of first class cricket with a 7-fer at Chelmsford and I was there!

I remembered us as a pretty decent fielding side but FFS we had Gooch,Lever,Pringle & Geoff Miller all carthorses in the field.

I was actually screaming when they were organising the field....'you need some bloody fielders on the off side you muppets!'
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down