Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

catches by sub fielders - not counted in overall stats

+2
taipan
lardbucket
6 posters

Go down

catches by sub fielders - not counted in overall stats Empty catches by sub fielders - not counted in overall stats

Post by lardbucket Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:54 pm

This post is provoked by Jackson Bird's performance here ... he's taken 4 catches in the match, 3 of them very good close to the wicket grabs, but none will go to his overall stats, which show that he has only taken two catches at Test level.

I wonder how good the records are for Tests taken by sub fielders, i.e. the identities of those fielders.

Suspect he has at least shown that he fields better than Mennie ...

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38092
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

catches by sub fielders - not counted in overall stats Empty Re: catches by sub fielders - not counted in overall stats

Post by taipan Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:00 pm

I have noticed that the names of the sub fielders are now shown on the scorecards, as are those involved in run outs.

I suspect that historical records are poor but possibly could be recreated from match reports.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

catches by sub fielders - not counted in overall stats Empty Re: catches by sub fielders - not counted in overall stats

Post by Big Dog Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:02 pm

As twelfth man, he is still part of the team & therefore his performances should be recognised imho.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:06 pm

Big Dog wrote:As twelfth man, he is still part of the team & therefore his performances should be recognised imho.

Yes, but sometimes the sub fielder is not the official twelfth man. How do you recognise the performance of someone who has not been capped?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:08 pm

taipan wrote:
Big Dog wrote:As twelfth man, he is still part of the team & therefore his performances should be recognised imho.

Yes, but sometimes the sub fielder is not the official twelfth man. How do you recognise the performance of someone who has not been capped?

Well, you can't. I'm suggesting that only the official twelfth man be recognised.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:09 pm

They've never been counted in a player's overall stats in the past.

I'm not sure this is ideal; however it would be difficult to deal with the catches taken by those sub fielders who never played in a Test eleven, and there have been a few of them in modern times.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:10 pm

Big Dog wrote:
taipan wrote:

Well, you can't. I'm suggesting that only the official twelfth man be recognised.

In principle I agree with you, but there are a number of grey areas.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:54 pm

Given that the WSC stats are not even counted as first class, this seems a minor issue.

There has been so much 'test'' cricket since those days that inflates player records.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:50 am

Recognition for Gary Pratt at last!
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:32 pm

And Peter Cantwell (?), the Queenslander who took two blinding catches in the gully on the Sunday morning on the Brisbane Test in 90-91. At least he was a regular first-class cricketer, unlike Gary 'Where the hell's MY MBE?' Pratt

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8811
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:45 pm

Peter Cantrell.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:30 pm

taipan wrote:I have noticed that the names of the sub fielders are now shown on the scorecards, as are those involved in run outs.

I suspect that historical records are poor but possibly could be recreated from match reports.

I'm not so sure. That would be quite a project ...

Apparently the first catch ever taken by a sub fielder in a Test was by Murdoch, then Australian captain, acting as a sub fielder for England against his own side!

I think I recall John Hampshire taking at least one catch in the 1970-71 series v Australia, here, as a sub fielder, towards the end of that series.

Some more recent local examples include Cantrell (two catches in 1999), Marcus Labuschagne, Chris Sabburg (who caught Kevin Pietersen in an Ashes Test), and perhaps even Ryan Broad.

Peter Cantrell was (allegedly) out until 3am at The Underground nightclub before taking two outstanding catches at gully during the Australia v England Test in 1999.

At present Jackson Bird has taken more uncredited catches in one match (as sub fielder) than he has otherwise in his whole Test career.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:02 pm

Gideon Haigh tells the story: In 1986 former England keeper Bob Taylor, who by this stage was 45 years old and had not played any competitive cricket for three years, was at Trent Bridge doing the corporate catering when the home team keeper broke a finger and had to be replaced. Using borrowed kit and gloves which didn't fit him properly, he kept spotlessly for more than two sessions and took a catch, then the designated second England keeper arrived and took over. Taylor was given a standing ovation as he left the field, absolutely appropriately for a good bloke and dedicated craftsman who had uncomplainingly been a sub keeper for the first two-thirds of his career.

In Adelaide in Jan 82, the local Shield team were practising next door when team management was asked to release FOUR players for subbing duties after Greg Chappell and Rod Marsh busted fingers, Dennis Lillee's back started acting up again and another player also reported ill. From the team which won the last non-final Sheffield Shield, but provided a grand total of zero spots in the Test team for the summer, Rick Darling, Peter Sleep, David Hookes and Wayne Phillips all subbed all day....with Marsh's spot filled not by 'Wayne Bloody', but by Hookes. The four subs at once has to be close to a record.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8811
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:11 pm

India must have had a few in that West Indian test where half the team didn't bat in the last innings.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Most catches by a sub in one test.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283623.html
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:01 pm

aye, saw that list

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:12 pm

found this when looking for anything we'd ever done on dropped catches ... interesting thread

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down