Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You can't drop Woakes so who goes?

+2
beamer
whitburn
6 posters

Go down

You can't drop Woakes so who goes? Empty You can't drop Woakes so who goes?

Post by whitburn Sun 12 Aug 2018, 06:31

Who moves over to allow Stokes back? Nightclub bully is one of our best 11 so we need him back, but at the expense of who I Y O?

whitburn

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2009-04-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

You can't drop Woakes so who goes? Empty Re: You can't drop Woakes so who goes?

Post by beamer Sun 12 Aug 2018, 12:02

Well, it will be a case of horses for courses. If Trent Bridge is going to seam we could even go in without the spinner.

Otherwise, Broad has probably been the least effective of our bowlers (not that he’s been bad, just the bar is pretty high) this series but surely won’t be benched on his home ground, so young Curran could be the temporary fall guy, but it’s a nice problem to have. I’d be surprised if Stokes is mentally and physically ready for next week whatever the outcome, so it’s probably one for later in the series at the earliest.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Sun 12 Aug 2018, 12:04

whitburn wrote:Who moves over to allow Stokes back? Nightclub bully is one of our best 11 so we need him back, but at the expense of who I Y O?

the new guy.
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11958
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sun 12 Aug 2018, 12:06

Nath wrote:
whitburn wrote:Who moves over to allow Stokes back? Nightclub bully is one of our best 11 so we need him back, but at the expense of who I Y O?

the new guy.
Pope, you mean? Move Woakes up to 4? Wink

We could have a complete team of all-rounders before long. Jimmy needs to work on his batting to stay in there...

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 12 Aug 2018, 12:23

beamer wrote:Well, it will be a case of horses for courses. If Trent Bridge is going to seam we could even go in without the spinner.

Otherwise, Broad has probably been the least effective of our bowlers (not that he’s been bad, just the bar is pretty high) this series but surely won’t be benched on his home ground, so young Curran could be the temporary fall guy, but it’s a nice problem to have. I’d be surprised if Stokes is mentally and physically ready for next week whatever the outcome, so it’s probably one for later in the series at the earliest.

Agreed on Stokes mental state, but how can you actually tell?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sun 12 Aug 2018, 12:30

taipan wrote:
beamer wrote:Well, it will be a case of horses for courses. If Trent Bridge is going to seam we could even go in without the spinner.

Agreed on Stokes mental state, but how can you actually tell?
See if he does a Gazza when you tell him he’s not playing? Wink

I don’t know how much longer the trial is likely to last, if he’s cleared though a 4th Test return looks most likely. Obviously any custodial sentence will rule him out for some time and cast doubt on his short to medium term future at least. If he gets a suspended/community sentence I don’t expect we will see him again this summer or probably in the winter either - perhaps an agreement with Australia, given the Smith issue, that both sides will reattach nose to face in time for the World Cup and Ashes.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 12 Aug 2018, 15:53

So it's not going to be Broad.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Aug 2018, 20:13

Quite right. For all his faults when he clicks he is probably the most devastating bowler in world cricket at the moment. 7 times he's got a 5fer in a single spell, can't be many active players who have done that. Would have done it again today if rain hadn't intervened.

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sun 12 Aug 2018, 20:18

And so close to being the first bowler to take three Test hat-tricks. (Well, that third ball wasn’t actually that close, it went for four byes down the leg side... Laughing )

That’s just what he does, for long spells he can look unthreatening, then when it clicks he’s unplayable.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Aug 2018, 21:43

He's probably been my favourite England bowler since that spell at the Oval in 2009. The long periods of dross are more than made up for when he goes mental. It's exhilarating to watch when he's on song.

He often comes good in key moments of big series as well, big game player.

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 12 Aug 2018, 23:44

That Sturat inswinger to castle Poonjabber was a cracker.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105884
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Mon 13 Aug 2018, 08:06

He has now moved into the top 10 of all time Test wicket takers... he and Anderson now have 977 between them.

Which pairs of bowlers have played together with a combined 1000 wickets to their name? Probably just Warne and McGrath, and Murali and Vaas, I would guess. Certainly not two seamers, given only Walsh and McGrath had previously reached the half-millennium themselves.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 13 Aug 2018, 18:28

Stokes is not in the squad for TB, but could in theory be added after the verdict is known.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down