Giving a new meaning to “spin bowling”...

Go down

Giving a new meaning to “spin bowling”...

Post by beamer on Fri 09 Nov 2018, 21:41

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-09/spin-bowling-360-degree-twirl-falls-foul-of-umpires/10480738

Shame about the spoilsport umpiring... Laughing

beamer


Number of posts : 10814
Reputation : 57
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Giving a new meaning to “spin bowling”...

Post by Big Dog on Fri 09 Nov 2018, 21:54

Known as the Whirling Dervish delivery. Laughing
avatar
Big Dog


Number of posts : 14865
Age : 28
Reputation : 84
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

View user profile http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Re: Giving a new meaning to “spin bowling”...

Post by skully on Fri 09 Nov 2018, 23:01

Quaint.
avatar
skully


Number of posts : 95037
Age : 107
Reputation : 212
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Giving a new meaning to “spin bowling”...

Post by embee on Sat 10 Nov 2018, 00:20

beamer wrote:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-09/spin-bowling-360-degree-twirl-falls-foul-of-umpires/10480738

Shame about the spoilsport umpiring... Laughing

41.4 Deliberate attempt to distract striker

41.4.1 It is unfair for any fielder deliberately to attempt to distract the striker while he/she is preparing to receive or receiving a delivery.

41.4.2 If either umpire considers that any action by a fielder is such an attempt, he/she shall immediately call and signal Dead ball and inform the other umpire of the reason for the call. The bowler’s end umpire shall

- award 5 Penalty runs to the batting side.

- inform the captain of the fielding side, the batsmen and, as soon as practicable, the captain of the batting side of the reason for the action.

Neither batsman shall be dismissed from that delivery and the ball shall not count as one of the over.

Together with the other umpire report the occurrence as soon as possible after the match to the Executive of the offending side and to any Governing Body responsible for the match, who shall take such action as is considered appropriate against the captain, any other individuals concerned and, if appropriate, the team.



The whirling dervish was deliberate and had no technical part in the bowler delivering the ball ....therefore it falls straight into this Law

Dont blame an umpire for applying the Laws ...
avatar
embee


Number of posts : 24072
Age : 51
Reputation : 238
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Giving a new meaning to “spin bowling”...

Post by tricycle on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 04:29

Weirdly, he had been allowed to bowl it in the recently concluded Vijay Hazare trophy.

Have no idea about the umpires in each tournament, but would assume that the Hazare trophy has a higher level of umpires and they missed the rule.

tricycle


Number of posts : 12855
Age : 19
Reputation : 44
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Giving a new meaning to “spin bowling”...

Post by skully on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 06:41

embee wrote:
beamer wrote:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-09/spin-bowling-360-degree-twirl-falls-foul-of-umpires/10480738

Shame about the spoilsport umpiring... Laughing

41.4 Deliberate attempt to distract striker

41.4.1 It is unfair for any fielder deliberately to attempt to distract the striker while he/she is preparing to receive or receiving a delivery.

41.4.2 If either umpire considers that any action by a fielder is such an attempt, he/she shall immediately call and signal Dead ball and inform the other umpire of the reason for the call.  The bowler’s end umpire shall

- award 5 Penalty runs to the batting side.

- inform the captain of the fielding side, the batsmen and, as soon as practicable, the captain of the batting side of the reason for the action.

Neither batsman shall be dismissed from that delivery and the ball shall not count as one of the over.

Together with the other umpire report the occurrence as soon as possible after the match to the Executive of the offending side and to any Governing Body responsible for the match, who shall take such action as is considered appropriate against the captain, any other individuals concerned and, if appropriate, the team.  



The whirling dervish was deliberate and had no technical part in the bowler delivering the ball ....therefore it falls straight into this Law

Dont blame an umpire for applying the Laws ...

Cheers A.

Was 5 runs awarded in this case?
avatar
skully


Number of posts : 95037
Age : 107
Reputation : 212
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Giving a new meaning to “spin bowling”...

Post by tricycle on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 08:40

Didn't see any mention of five penalty runs in the papers.

And maybe I'm imagining things, but I seem to remember Gillespie have a arms spread out eagle like run up on one or two occasions? And Gough's tongue out as well.

tricycle


Number of posts : 12855
Age : 19
Reputation : 44
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Giving a new meaning to “spin bowling”...

Post by skully on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 08:55

Your memory is sound, t.
avatar
skully


Number of posts : 95037
Age : 107
Reputation : 212
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Giving a new meaning to “spin bowling”...

Post by beamer on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 17:06

tricycle wrote:Didn't see any mention of five penalty runs in the papers.

And maybe I'm imagining things, but I seem to remember Gillespie have a arms spread out eagle like run up on one or two occasions? And Gough's tongue out as well.
Not forgetting Andre Nel, and his alter-ego, Gunther was it? Also worked in the coffee shop in Friends Wink

beamer


Number of posts : 10814
Reputation : 57
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Giving a new meaning to “spin bowling”...

Post by embee Yesterday at 12:52

tricycle wrote:Weirdly, he had been allowed to bowl it in the recently concluded Vijay Hazare trophy.

Have no idea about the umpires in each tournament, but would assume that the Hazare trophy has a higher level of umpires and they missed the rule.

It might have been discussed

A former FC umpire said he would have dealt with it by telling the bowler to stop being a dick head



avatar
embee


Number of posts : 24072
Age : 51
Reputation : 238
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Giving a new meaning to “spin bowling”...

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum