Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian Test Squad Announced for West Indies Tour in May

+14
Leo
Ross
peterg
Fred Nerk
Mick Sawyer
Chandan
WIFAN
WideWally
tac
Henry
JGK
skully
Nath
DJ_Smerk
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Australian Test Squad Announced for West Indies Tour in May Empty Australian Test Squad Announced for West Indies Tour in May

Post by DJ_Smerk Tue 01 Apr 2008, 08:30

Test Squad

Ricky Ponting (c)
Michael Clarke (vc)
Beau Casson
Stuart Clark
Brad Haddin (wk)
Matthew Hayden
Ben Hilfenhaus
Michael Hussey
Phil Jaques
Mitchell Johnson
Simon Katich
Brett Lee
Stuart MacGill
Ashley Noffke
Andrew Symonds

A possible long term spin option for the Aussies? Look's like a good young squad IMO, especially with Hilf being in there. Katich is an interesting pick however.

Shaun Marsh and Cameron White are also in the ODI squad.

Link
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Australian Test Squad Announced for West Indies Tour in May Empty Re: Australian Test Squad Announced for West Indies Tour in May

Post by Nath Tue 01 Apr 2008, 08:48

DJ_Smerk wrote:Katich is an interesting pick however.

well he was the highest run scorer in the Pura Cup this season.
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11981
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Australian Test Squad Announced for West Indies Tour in May Empty Re: Australian Test Squad Announced for West Indies Tour in May

Post by skully Tue 01 Apr 2008, 09:21

And justice was served. Would've been a farkin travesty if Fleas wasn't rewarded.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105983
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Tue 01 Apr 2008, 09:25

I'll laugh my arse off if MacGill breaks down
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11981

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 01 Apr 2008, 09:45

And Clarke's first official go at VC.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 01 Apr 2008, 09:57

To go with his first official go at marriage.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 01 Apr 2008, 09:59

I know a lot of fans from less successful countries are hoping Australia will fail as they bring in new players, but I find the idea of Haddin and the other new boys very exciting . . . as I'm sure other Aussie fans do. I'm sure he'll do well in the tests and I would love to see Hilf or Noffke get a trundle in a test as well, though I doubt Lee, Clark or Midge will be dropped anytime soon.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 01 Apr 2008, 10:01

Australia wont fall dramatically, but don't kid yourself- Haddin is nowhere near as good as Gilchrist, and Noffke and Hilfenhaus are honest triers, but hardly likely to become world beaters.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 01 Apr 2008, 10:05

Who is anywhere near as good as Gilly? FFS, Trev . . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 01 Apr 2008, 10:10

So who gets BG#400? Haddin or Casson?

JGK

Number of posts : 41790

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 01 Apr 2008, 10:10

JGK wrote:So who gets BG#400? Haddin or Casson?

Casson, if selected.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Tue 01 Apr 2008, 10:21

Nath wrote:I'll laugh my arse off if MacGill breaks down

I won't.

Some time ago I had a bet with some friends that Haddin will be test cap number 400. If MacGill breaks down, Casson will probably be number 400 & I won't collect. Fortunately none of my friends selected Casson so at least I won't lose.
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9702
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Tue 01 Apr 2008, 14:22

It doesn't matter what squad you pick you will still win 3-0:evil:

But Casson is a very interesting selection. I would say that the Caribbean is an excellent place to start your career as Sarwan, Chanderpaul and perhaps Bravo apart, the new generation of West Indies batsman are terrible against spinners. The top 5 wicket takers in our domestic competition are all spinners, that should tell you just how much they dominate our batsmen. I'm looking forward to seeing Noffke to judge how much he has improved and if he is now up to test standard, as he certainly wasn't on the last tour.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Australian Test Squad Announced for West Indies Tour in May 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2857
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by Chandan Tue 01 Apr 2008, 18:02

tac wrote:

Casson, if selected.

Why? Why not Haddin, who'll certainly make his debut and will also bat above Casson?

Chandan

Number of posts : 1780
Registration date : 2007-09-01
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Wed 02 Apr 2008, 00:13

Chandan wrote:
tac wrote:

Casson, if selected.

Why? Why not Haddin, who'll certainly make his debut and will also bat above Casson?

Think about it . . .

Casson

Haddin

Why do you think Casson comes before Haddin?
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Wed 02 Apr 2008, 01:37

Good job by the selectors.

Katich deserves another crack & West Indian wickets should suit him.

Great to see them bold enough to select another left arm wrist spinner.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Wed 02 Apr 2008, 01:54

Simon's just the bench-warmer and unless somebody busts a leg I can't see him getting much of a look-in.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8821
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by peterg Wed 02 Apr 2008, 02:08

Haddin doesn't have huge boots to fill.

In his last two or three years, Gilchrist averaged little above 30 and dropped an uncomfortably high number of catches.

That's not too high a bar. Haddin's no Gilchrist but, of late, Gilchrist wasn't either.

peterg

Number of posts : 377

Back to top Go down

Post by Ross Wed 02 Apr 2008, 02:25

Haddin's averaged over 50 at state level for the last five or six years.

Oh, and Vics have been robbed as usual.
Ross
Ross

Number of posts : 1033

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo Wed 02 Apr 2008, 02:35

Good squad, though I hope Noffers and the Kat won't be needed.

I wish Hilfenhaus was in front of Johnson, personally.
Leo
Leo

Number of posts : 622

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Wed 02 Apr 2008, 02:44

Does this mean Bracken's Test career is over? I seem to remember Leo was a big fan.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Wed 02 Apr 2008, 02:47

Bracken's having surgery on his knee and is probably being rested so that he can recover fully . . . . unlike the way Flintoff was managed . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Wed 02 Apr 2008, 02:48

Cheers.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 02 Apr 2008, 04:45

aah magoo...you've been picked again...suspect he will be carted pick up some cheap wickets, shared either with beau brummel or fleas (if the latter is selected again it may be for his bowling - see below)

casson finished the moomoo with an average of around 35 per wicket - hardly the top season the ACB alluded to..plus half his matches were at the spin friendly scg (brummel makes Piggsy look like a quality bowler) and as for fleas - repeatedly tried and found wanting at test level - he gets what is called the bevan spot reserved for spiv bats not up to higher hons but who are decent net bowlers.

ah well good luck to them...hopefully only one will get a game and the others can have a holiday
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Chandan Wed 02 Apr 2008, 06:25

Henry wrote:To go with his first official go at marriage.

horace wrote:just as well we have their skills to admire as the materialism of many cricketers is quite odious...not just having a go at indians...the aussies are pretty ordinairy too...eg. that dill michael clarke just spent $200K(aus) on an engagement ring for his gf

Who did he get engaged with? I mean what is the name of the girl?

Chandan

Number of posts : 1780
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next