Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian squad to tour India - who should go?

+13
Big Dog
WideWally
OP Tipping
Blackadder
Bradman
horace
Fred Nerk
JGK
skully
Red
Nath
embee
lardbucket
17 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Australian squad to tour India - who should go? Empty Australian squad to tour India - who should go?

Post by lardbucket Sat 07 Jan 2017, 12:18

Not named yet, so what do we think? Apparently the squad will be 16 in number.

Personally I would subtract Wade and Cartwright from the squad of 13 that was named for Sydney, leaving Xi. My remaining 5 players for India would be Nevill, Shaun Marsh, Bailey, Voges, and Faulkner.

I don't expect the selectors will agree ... expect they will send all 13 who were selected for the Sydney squad, plus Nevill, Cummins, and either Maddinson or Patterson.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Australian squad to tour India - who should go? Empty Re: Australian squad to tour India - who should go?

Post by embee Sat 07 Jan 2017, 13:39

NCN batted today in grade cricket

probably enough for a call up
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Australian squad to tour India - who should go? Empty Re: Australian squad to tour India - who should go?

Post by Nath Sun 08 Jan 2017, 00:14

apparently squad of 15, with only 1 wicketkeeper.
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11981
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun 08 Jan 2017, 01:00

lardbucket wrote:Not named yet, so what do we think? Apparently the squad will be 16 in number.

Personally I would subtract Wade and Cartwright from the squad of 13 that was named for Sydney, leaving Xi. My remaining 5 players for India would be Nevill, Shaun Marsh, Bailey, Voges, and Faulkner.

I don't expect the selectors will agree ... expect they will send all 13 who were selected for the Sydney squad, plus Nevill, Cummins, and either Maddinson or Patterson.

Wouldn't the oppressive conditions of India be a risk for Cummins?
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 08 Jan 2017, 01:19

embee wrote:NCN batted today in grade cricket

probably enough for a call up

He didn't pull heart muscle running between wickets?
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105982
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 08 Jan 2017, 01:22

lardbucket wrote:Not named yet, so what do we think? Apparently the squad will be 16 in number.

Madman should have his file marked NTPFAA. Wasn't good enough in the first place to be selected. Patterson may be worth a go, but I agree with Bailey to give the middle order some starch against the spinners. Vague was shit in Sri Lanka (3 Tests - 118 runs @ 19). Bog has proven form on the subcontinent. And I still reckon Travis Head is a natural successor to the no. 6 spot, but perhaps India is not the place to blood him.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 08 Jan 2017, 01:29

Red wrote:

Wouldn't the oppressive conditions of India be a risk for Cummins?

Yes, that's why I wouldn't send him (well, that and the fact that he hasn't played a FC match in 4-5 years). The selectors, on the other hand ...

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 08 Jan 2017, 01:36

If the squad is reduced to 15, rather than the 16 originally forecast, I would omit Voges from my list above and expect the selectors would omit the Maddinson/Patterson experiment.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 08 Jan 2017, 01:38

Nath wrote:apparently squad of 15, with only 1 wicketkeeper.

So Wade's not going then?

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 08 Jan 2017, 01:39

Wouldn't think so. Hope not.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun 08 Jan 2017, 02:00

Bit of an ambiguous question - are you asking who should go on the tour (eg Bird, S Marsh), or who should go and never come back (eg Wade, SOK)?

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8821
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun 08 Jan 2017, 02:04

Maddinson and Cartwright might go down as wildcard selections who never make a squad again.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 08 Jan 2017, 02:10

Red wrote:Maddinson and Cartwright might will go down as wildcard selections who never make a squad again.

Fixed
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun 08 Jan 2017, 02:23

Madonna yes, Hoss still maybe.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 08 Jan 2017, 03:59

You are saying yes to Madman being picked??
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun 08 Jan 2017, 05:27

No, Madders is a likely (but at 23 years old not certain) candidate for category B, as in 'go and never darken our doors again!' Most likely Hoss is a 'none of the above' - he won't go to India, but could well play for Oz again some time later on. 37 runs neither damns him nor anoints him, and his 4 overs weren't diabolical but didn't fit the hole they were meant to. He might need to work on that side of his game but hopefully the powers-that-be learnt from the Watto experience.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 08 Jan 2017, 06:28

Ah, cheers.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sun 08 Jan 2017, 07:18

I think we need to avoid assumptions about similarities between subi con pitches. I don't see bog's form in 2 knocks v the Lankans to franc performance in the diversity of Bannie pitches.
My touring party would consist of
The xi from Sydney test plus Bird, but no Hoss.
Swepson or Zampa (agree with TGM).
Cummins
Fork
Head *
Maxwell
I think a leggie shd go - no Agar, no Dutchy.

Of those who have missed only Harris and mytyt can point their current form and say wtf.

Others such as bog, mere, ncn, ferg, monty, are out of form or have injuries.

I think a small factor in selection is whether the player comes from a successful or highly competitive state where there is proven team success in red ball cricket.

Medium pacers unless they are crafty like Bird and Fork seem to struggle in Banindia. I'd include an out and out quick and direct him to bowl flat out in short spells. If Cummins cracks, sobeit.

Head and noshow each add versatility. George just misses.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 08 Jan 2017, 23:12

horace wrote:I think we need to avoid assumptions about  similarities between subi con pitches. I don't see bog's form in 2 knocks v the Lankans to franc performance in the diversity of Bannie pitches.

Except for the fact that everyone else bar Smith failed - most notably Ooze and Vague. So good performance on SL decks IS a fair input to selection for India.

I note that Ashtray and Jadeja are no 1 and 2 bowlers in the current rankings. Josh Hazlewood is at no. 3. Well done him.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 08 Jan 2017, 23:16

Really GCS??

"Vice-captain says Australia's batsmen need to stand up in India, says he's excited by pre-tour camp in Dubai.

David Warner says Australia will have "no excuses" when they head to India in February, adding the tourists can take some heart from England's recent series against the world's No.1 Test side.

The Australians are in high spirits having won their past four Tests matches, but will head to India next month having lost nine consecutive Tests in Asia and with just one series win there since the late 1960s.

Only adding to the magnitude of the task facing Australia is the fact that Virat Kohli's side are unbeaten in their past 19 Tests at home and recently completed a 4-0 series win over England, including two victories by an innings.

But Warner said the fact that England were able to show some fight with the bat during their recent series - they posted 400 or more in three of the five Tests - gave the Australians some confidence."

--------------------------------

No excuses - except for the fact that we are flat track bullies who are woeful on low, slow turners.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sun 08 Jan 2017, 23:35

skully wrote:
horace wrote:I think we need to avoid assumptions about  similarities between subi con pitches. I don't see bog's form in 2 knocks v the Lankans to franc performance in the diversity of Bannie pitches.

Except for the fact that everyone else bar Smith failed - most notably Ooze and Vague. So good performance on SL decks IS a fair input to selection for India.

I note that Ashtray and Jadeja are no 1 and 2 bowlers in the current rankings. Josh Hazlewood is at no. 3. Well done him.

Form in SL should be one of a number of inputs. SL and Bannie decks may be as dissimilar as the Gabba and SCG, Headingly and Lords.

Writing Bog in on the basis of SL is odd. As would selecting NoShow because he's comfortable playing in the IPL.

horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sun 08 Jan 2017, 23:38

form, fitness, mental toughness are key inputs. Some of the players mentioned in the thread have questions over each of these inputs
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 09 Jan 2017, 00:36

horace wrote:
skully wrote:

Form in SL should be one of a number of inputs. SL and Bannie decks may be as dissimilar as the Gabba and SCG, Headingly and Lords.

Writing Bog in on the basis of SL is odd. As would selecting NoShow because he's comfortable playing in the IPL.

Bog has made 2 tons in SL, the nearest thing to Bannie conditions we will ever play in. And using IPL as an indicator of bunsen burner conditions is just ridiculous. They are glass tops in IPL.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 09 Jan 2017, 01:28

Fred Nerk wrote:Bit of an ambiguous question - are you asking who should go on the tour (eg Bird, S Marsh), or who should go and never come back (eg Wade, SOK)?

The former; I thought the first clause of my question might help with that.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 09 Jan 2017, 02:22

Weed clearly has photos of MEW fiddling young stable boys.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next