Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IPL in another greed shock

+3
Makaveli
Lara Lara Laughs
Josh Carney
7 posters

Go down

IPL in another greed shock Empty IPL in another greed shock

Post by Josh Carney Sat 05 Apr 2008, 00:45

link

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

IPL in another greed shock Empty Re: IPL in another greed shock

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Sat 05 Apr 2008, 01:01

Not quite as greedy as KP:

"It's silly to think that you're losing up to a million [dollars] over six weeks. As long as it doesn't interfere with me playing for England, then I'm all for the IPL,” he said. “I won't jeopardise my England career for the IPL just yet, but the schedules have to be sorted because the England players are the only ones missing out. There are guys in our team who could be earning a lot of money. Chris Gayle [the West Indies captain] texted me the other day to ask why I'm not playing and I said, ‘I can't.' He just sent dollar signs in the next text message. I'm not being paid [extra] playing for Hampshire, while he'll be copping a hundred grand a game.”

Cor Kev. "Not going to jeopardise your England career just yet"? There's commitment for you.

Anyone would think you were a destitute bum, living in abject poverty, instead of a multi-millionaire with loads of endorsements. Poor old you.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Sat 05 Apr 2008, 01:04

Lol deep down it's burning him to the core, don't worry KP i'm sure they will sort something out soon, you will be in the $$$ too.
Makaveli
Makaveli

Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 05 Apr 2008, 07:52

Says a lot about the problems for the Windies too - while their better players barely get anything, of course they are going to chase the cash.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Sat 05 Apr 2008, 10:53

Drop Him. Twat.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

IPL in another greed shock Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864

Back to top Go down

Post by rey Sat 05 Apr 2008, 12:56

so much for this -

Pietersen says 'no way' to IPL

Cricinfo staff

February 29, 2008

Kevin Pietersen has insisted no amount of money will tempt him to join the Indian Premier League (IPL). Despite offers coming his way to play in the multi-million dollar tournament, Pietersen says he's focused on his England career, which is too important to him.

No England player was involved in the first IPL auction as the tournament clashes with the start of the county season. However, interest was shown in a few leading stars such as Pietersen and Andrew Flintoff.

"I know there is interest and, yes, there have been offers, etc etc, but it's not something I'm particularly interested in," Pietersen told BBC Five Live. "Money's not really too important, it's not as if I need money right now," he said. "I'm really enjoying doing what I'm doing. I love playing for England, I love playing for the spectators."
rey
rey

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Sat 05 Apr 2008, 18:52

It's sickening, it really is. While us lucky rabbits scrape and scroung our way by, those poor fat cats at the top are having to survive on a mere £2-£3m a year (endorsements included). They NEED this extra money to SURVIVE, and their countries simply don't matter.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Sat 05 Apr 2008, 19:01

rey wrote:so much for this -

Pietersen says 'no way' to IPL

Cricinfo staff

February 29, 2008

Kevin Pietersen has insisted no amount of money will tempt him to join the Indian Premier League (IPL). Despite offers coming his way to play in the multi-million dollar tournament, Pietersen says he's focused on his England career, which is too important to him.

No England player was involved in the first IPL auction as the tournament clashes with the start of the county season. However, interest was shown in a few leading stars such as Pietersen and Andrew Flintoff.

"I know there is interest and, yes, there have been offers, etc etc, but it's not something I'm particularly interested in," Pietersen told BBC Five Live. "Money's not really too important, it's not as if I need money right now," he said. "I'm really enjoying doing what I'm doing. I love playing for England, I love playing for the spectators."

This is what you'd expect a millionaire player who's proud of playing for his country to say. Shame he's changed his mind.

I'm a bit disappointed by his lust for money.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sat 05 Apr 2008, 19:15

Come on guys, stop being so bloody puritanical.

Cricketers career's last 9 years tops (if they're lucky); they're prone to injuries which could mean a dramatic loss of earnings / getting dropped; they get castigated when not performing (not averaging over 50 a series); and they get a pittance for CC matches and
sponsorship isn't a quarter of what the footballing cheats get.

Footballers earn twice as much for less performance (90 minute matches) and, like Cashley, Lumphard and Ferdinando always want MORE ... FFS Cashley dumped on Arsenal for £5000 a week more at Chelski (that's £56 per minute more basis 1 game per week) !! Go figure.

So give KP a break. He's turned it on for England when its mattered and has said clearly that he won't do IPL if it clashes with England.

So be honest - all you puritans out there - given half the chance, if you were offered $500,000 for a months work, would YOU turn it down?

Yeah ... sure you would!

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Sat 05 Apr 2008, 19:26

Nobody would turn down the money, but kicking your heels and whoring yourself in advance is out of order, especially when it's disrespectful to your current employers, who just happen to be representative of two whole countries, and thus, millions of fans.

It's even worse when the person in question already has a reputation as a mercenary, and much more so when he contradicts a very recent opinion he gave on the matter.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Sat 05 Apr 2008, 19:35

Merlin wrote:

So be honest - all you puritans out there - given half the chance, if you were offered $500,000 for a months work, would YOU turn it down?

Yeah ... sure you would!

I wouldn't. Not if I was already very very rich, a regular for my country and guaranteed millions in sponsorship and endorsements. I certainly wouldn't go crying to a broadsheet and make veiled threats like some spoiled, petulant child, complaining that my mate Chris Gayle is making £250,000 that I could be making.

There's just something a bit sickening about a millionaire moaning that he hasn't got enough money when there are people starving throughout the world. Nothing do with puritanism, just simply decency.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sat 05 Apr 2008, 19:44

Yep!
Haul out the wooden cross and get ready with the hammer and nails.

Are these the same millions of fans who don't hesitate calling KP a canut (or something similar) if he fails to get a 50 in three straight innings!

Why is he a whore FFS? What's disrespectful and to whom? The ECB ?? Wow!
**He made a statement before any knowledge of the IPL dates/programme.
**He was approached (presumably) with a healthy short term contract for a serious wedge of money by the IPL.
** He changed his mind ... a prerogative open to any person living in a democracy consisting of fickle fans!!
**He signed the contract.

As long as his IPL committments don't clash with England what's the problem?
Let's not get overly moralist on the issue Rolling Eyes

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sat 05 Apr 2008, 19:48

LLL - I don't read this statement as a complaint citing Chris Gayle

Chris Gayle [the West Indies captain] texted me the other day to ask why I'm not playing and I said, ‘I can't.' He just sent dollar signs in the next text message. I'm not being paid [extra] playing for Hampshire, while he'll be copping a hundred grand a game.”

I read it more as a mate (Gayle) taking the p!ss sending the $$$$ signs ... teasing KP ...
who knows - they could be close buddies ... why would Gayle text KP in the first place?
You have to ask yourself that question before crucifying the guy.

He quoted that text to a rag ... so what ? I'm sure Gayle isn't losing sleep over it!
It's not like he actually said - hey I'm poor and I need the dosh - or actually walking out of England for the massive $$$$ on offer!

Storm in a tea cup IMO.

Last edited by Merlin on Sat 05 Apr 2008, 19:49; edited 1 time in total

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Sat 05 Apr 2008, 19:49

As for footballers - if any of the United side whinged to a newspaper that he wanted to go and play in some joke 5-aside tournament in Brazil during the premiership season, Ferguson would probably kick him out and he'd probably be booed by his own fans.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sat 05 Apr 2008, 19:52

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:As for footballers - if any of the United side whinged to a newspaper that he wanted to go and play in some joke 5-aside tournament in Brazil during the premiership season, Ferguson would probably kick him out and he'd probably be booed by his own fans.

They're paid enough anyway not to tempt them LLL.
So that isn't an argument.
£860 per minute - basis 1 game a week
£450 per minute if 2 games a week.
Plus sponsorship and bonuses.

I'm sure if Hants offered KP that kinda money, he too wouldn't consider a 5 a side tourney in Brazil nor the IPL !! Wink

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down