Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Atherton on Lara

+15
Paul Keating
tac
Makaveli
lardbucket
holcs
Basil
WideWally
Leo
Merlin
PearlJ
furriner
Brass Monkey
taipan
JKLever
Henry
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Atherton on Lara Empty Atherton on Lara

Post by Henry Tue 08 Apr 2008, 12:46

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/serialisations/article3694486.ece

Real quality cricket writer, is Athers. The best in the business at the moment, imo.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Atherton on Lara Empty Re: Atherton on Lara

Post by JKLever Tue 08 Apr 2008, 12:53

Only one reason prevents this observer from placing Lara at the apex of modern West Indian batsmen. Against extreme pace he got hit too often, and he could seem extraordinarily jumpy at the crease. I’ve often wondered what kind of effect removing helmets would have on modern-day players, a hypothetical that doesn’t apply to Vivian Richards.

Well said Athers.

And thats why I said IVA was the best batsman i've ever seen on the other thread.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 08 Apr 2008, 13:01

JKLever wrote:
Only one reason prevents this observer from placing Lara at the apex of modern West Indian batsmen. Against extreme pace he got hit too often, and he could seem extraordinarily jumpy at the crease. I’ve often wondered what kind of effect removing helmets would have on modern-day players, a hypothetical that doesn’t apply to Vivian Richards.

Well said Athers.

And thats why I said IVA was the best batsman i've ever seen on the other thread.

And Bradman compared to the likes of SRT.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 08 Apr 2008, 13:08

Yeah, a good article. However, it's a little trite for me as is always the case with Atherton. He seems to feel that if he denigrates himself he can say what he likes as matter of fact as he wishes. It's a bit: "Yeah, I see what you're saying Athers, now f*ck off you c*nt".
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue 08 Apr 2008, 13:37

JKLever wrote:

Well said Athers.

Rubbish. Not your preference for Viv, but the "I’ve often wondered what kind of effect removing helmets would have on modern-day players.." $hit.

Oh yeah? I wonder what would have been the affect of playing non stop Tests, ODI and now 20:20 cricket on Bradman.

The answer is the same both ways. The great players would have adjusted fine. The rest would have coped. So f*ck off.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12508
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 08 Apr 2008, 13:39

Disagree there Furry.

Sure they would have adapted but the way modern players can plant their foot down the wicket at ease these days is a joke...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 08 Apr 2008, 13:42

furriner wrote:
JKLever wrote:

Well said Athers.

Rubbish. Not your preference for Viv, but the "I’ve often wondered what kind of effect removing helmets would have on modern-day players.." $hit.

Oh yeah? I wonder what would have been the affect of playing non stop Tests, ODI and now 20:20 cricket on Bradman.

The answer is the same both ways. The great players would have adjusted fine. The rest would have coped. So f*ck off.

So what would SRT have averaged against bodyline?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Tue 08 Apr 2008, 14:15

taipan wrote:
furriner wrote:
JKLever wrote:

Well said Athers.

Possibly 45.56.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Atherton on Lara ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue 08 Apr 2008, 14:29

JKLever wrote:Disagree there Furry.

Sure they would have adapted but the way modern players can plant their foot down the wicket at ease these days is a joke...

Fair point. But good and great players adjust. Had the modern players been born in that era they too would have adjusted. That is why they are good at what they do.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue 08 Apr 2008, 14:31

taipan wrote:
furriner wrote:
JKLever wrote:

Well said Athers.

I'll answer that if you tell me how long would Bradman have lasted playing the virtual 24/7/365 cricket of these days? How long before someone worked him out via video analysis?
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue 08 Apr 2008, 14:31

PearlJ wrote:
taipan wrote:
furriner wrote:
JKLever wrote:

Well said Athers.

Possibly 45.56.

Disagree. 51.22. I am certain of it.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 08 Apr 2008, 14:32

Personally I loathe this "Oohh, they play SO much cricket these days". Bullshit. They play more international cricket, certainly. Not more cricket though, IMO.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 08 Apr 2008, 14:33

furriner wrote:

I'm think more along the lines of 25.67.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue 08 Apr 2008, 14:35

Brass Monkey wrote:Personally I loathe this "Oohh, they play SO much cricket these days". Bullshit. They play more international cricket, certainly. Not more cricket though, IMO.

Personally I loathe this "Oooh, cricketers in 't'old days wuz giants walking the earth, mun, not the pansies you see today".

Bradman aside, they're the same.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue 08 Apr 2008, 14:36

Brass Monkey wrote:
furriner wrote:

You missed a couple of not outs. That changed the average a fair bit.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 08 Apr 2008, 14:42

PearlJ wrote:
taipan wrote:
furriner wrote:
JKLever wrote:

Well said Athers.

Possibly 45.56.

Does he even average that against SA?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 08 Apr 2008, 14:54

furriner wrote:
Personally I loathe this "Oooh, cricketers in 't'old days wuz giants walking the earth, mun, not the pansies you see today".

I'm not from Yorkshire, you Delhi c*nt.

You only have to look at the inordinate amount of overs bowled or batting innings faced to see how much they played.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 08 Apr 2008, 14:55

furriner wrote:
You missed a couple of not outs. That changed the average a fair bit.

Retired hurts. You're right.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue 08 Apr 2008, 15:00

Brass Monkey wrote:
furriner wrote:

I'm not from Yorkshire, you Delhi c*nt.

You only have to look at the inordinate amount of overs bowled or batting innings faced to see how much they played.

I'm not from Delhi, you which -city- were- you- from- again c*nt.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 08 Apr 2008, 15:02

Brass Monkey wrote:
furriner wrote:

18.25 is my calculation ... 8 innings, 8 not outs.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 08 Apr 2008, 15:03

furriner wrote:

I didn't think you were. I just wanted to show you the pain it causes when you get accused of being some **** from some ****hole.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo Tue 08 Apr 2008, 15:16

My personal experience has been that I played fast bowling better without a helmet. Never got hit, except when the helmet sucked me into playing lazy shots.

Of course, the bowlers were not Wasim Akram or Allan Donald! So the comparison hardly applies, but I'm not necessarily sure a helmet is an unalloyed plus. It might mean slower reactions against a spinner, for example.
Leo
Leo

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2007-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 08 Apr 2008, 15:22

Leo wrote:My personal experience has been that I played fast bowling better without a helmet. Never got hit, except when the helmet sucked me into playing lazy shots.

Of course, the bowlers were not Wasim Akram or Allan Donald! So the comparison hardly applies, but I'm not necessarily sure a helmet is an unalloyed plus. It might mean slower reactions against a spinner, for example.

Depends on the standard. Personally I never even wore a thigh pad.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue 08 Apr 2008, 15:26

Brass Monkey wrote:
furriner wrote:

I didn't think you were. I just wanted to show you the pain it causes when you get accused of being some **** from some ****hole.

It only hurts when I larf.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Tue 08 Apr 2008, 15:27

What's the situation these days regarding helmets? How frequently are they used in various grades of cricket?

I think I had retired before they were invented.
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9702
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next