Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Referral System - who's seen it in action then?

+13
LeFromage
Merlin
PeterCS
embee
Eric Air Emu
Basil
spangler
Gary 111
taipan
JKLever
doremi
horace
Zat
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Referral System - who's seen it in action then? Empty Referral System - who's seen it in action then?

Post by Zat Thu 24 Jul 2008, 21:34

OK, there were a couple of referrals in the Ind/SrL match yesterday, who saw them?

Thee's no broadcast to Aus, so I have to go off cricifno's coverage which seems to suggest that the ICC has taken something potentially simple and screwed it right up.

Dilshan had made just 1 when Zaheer Khan slanted one across his bat. There was a big plume of dust as the ball passed over the top edge of the bat, and a sound as well. As the Indians appealed, Mark Benson thought for a moment and then raised his finger. The celebrations had already begun by the time the Indians suddenly realised that Dilshan had no intention of leaving the crease.

As Benson signalled for the replay, all eyes turned to the TV screens. Replay followed replay, yet no one could be absolutely sure whether there had been the thinnest of edges, or if the sound heard was merely bat striking ground...

With Rudi Koertzen, the third umpire, as undecided as anyone watching, Benson, who had no access to the replays, had little option but to change the decision.

To make the video referral system fair (note - not to make it work properly, that's impossible with 2D replays of 3D events) surely it should be the replay has to show conclusive video evidence to overturn the decision.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Referral System - who's seen it in action then? Empty Re: Referral System - who's seen it in action then?

Post by horace Thu 24 Jul 2008, 21:37

if crocinfo is right ....that is rather depressing news...agree benson's initial decison should stand...may have prompted a SL declaration too if the decision stood and made the game more interesting
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Referral System - who's seen it in action then? Empty Re: Referral System - who's seen it in action then?

Post by doremi Thu 24 Jul 2008, 21:41

Saw the first one, where Kumble seemed to just want to test it. LBW appeal, checked for a no-ball, checked to see whether it hit the bat, showed where the ball pitched, where it hit the pads, inconclusive and so the umpire's decision stood.

And I totally agree, if it doesn't definitely prove otherwise, the field umnpire's decision should stand.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu 24 Jul 2008, 21:46

The ICC should be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes.

Or maybe the second.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 24 Jul 2008, 21:49

Zat wrote:

To make the video referral system fair (note - not to make it work properly, that's impossible with 2D replays of 3D events) surely it should be the replay has to show conclusive video evidence to overturn the decision.

Totally agree - that's how the system was in England when they trialled it. You had to prove that the umpire had conclusively made an error and if you couldn't the decision stood.

Doesn't sound right the way they are doing it at all.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 24 Jul 2008, 21:50

Zat wrote:The BCCI should be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes.

Or maybe the second.

Fixed
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Thu 24 Jul 2008, 21:55

I thought Mickey Arthur and Andre Nel were the first to request to use the referral system to overturn a correct decision, not a Sri Lankan.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu 24 Jul 2008, 21:58

taipan wrote:
Zat wrote:The BCCI should be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes.

Or maybe the second.

Fixed
Careful taips, you'll upset a couple of cubi sunts. They'll say you're obsessed. (The stupid pillocks.)

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 24 Jul 2008, 21:59

Gary 111 wrote:I thought Mickey Arthur and Andre Nel were the first to request to use the referral system to overturn a correct decision, not a Sri Lankan.

Still sooking after all these years days
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu 24 Jul 2008, 22:01

JKLever wrote:
Zat wrote:

Totally agree - that's how the system was in England when they trialled it. You had to prove that the umpire had conclusively made an error and if you couldn't the decision stood.

I haven't seen it JKL, so I live in hope that cricinfo's report isn't clear, or has made a booboo, after all, cricket authorities couldn't stuff up something so simple.

I'll get me coat.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Thu 24 Jul 2008, 22:07

Zat wrote:
JKLever wrote:
Zat wrote:

I haven't seen it JKL, so I live in hope that cricinfo's report isn't clear, or has made a booboo, after all, cricket authorities couldn't stuff up something so simple.

I'll get me coat.

I can see it causing chaos with the caught behind decisions.

There are lots of time you are given out as a batsman and know you haven't hit it. But how can a 2D replay prove that a batsman definitely didn't hit it? Rarely is there a massive gap between bat and ball.

Then batsmen who get a very thin edge might start hanging around just to try their luck too.

And the umpire's authority is further eroded all the while...
Gary 111
Gary 111

Back to top Go down

Post by spangler Thu 24 Jul 2008, 22:11

Is it purely video that the 3rd umpire has at his disposal?
No Hot-spots, snickos, hawkeyes, stump mikes, wiz-wizzes, timtams or flimflots?
spangler
spangler

Referral System - who's seen it in action then? 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2554

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Thu 24 Jul 2008, 22:13

I think it's good. I didn't catch the Dilshan referral live, but later on when the commentators were mentioning it, didn't seem they thought it too controversial. Could be wrong as I was too depressed to see the discussion on TV after stumps.

With snicko, and hopefully they're using it as they said in that article thingy, the caught behind decisions should be clear 9 times out of 10.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Thu 24 Jul 2008, 22:19

Although if you want to be pedantic (and I do) you could argue that snicko doesn't prove that the batsman didn't hit it, only that it didn't make a noise...

The referral system will be very useful on the inside edge onto pads that are often given out LBW. This is often very difficult to detect with the naked eye, but with slow motion replays it becomes obvious.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Fri 25 Jul 2008, 01:54

Hopefully the system will be 'refined' following this series.

Somebody at the ICC should watch some NFL games and see how they do it with the video replays. It works there, FFS. And they're Seppos...

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Feb 2009, 23:32

So, what do we think about it so far?

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 04 Feb 2009, 23:37

Don't think much more or less of it. It wasn't on offer in Aus over summer.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Feb 2009, 23:38

Why is it being offered to some and not others?

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Wed 04 Feb 2009, 23:40

It's not universal yet - this is the first series that England have been involved in where it has been employed.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 04 Feb 2009, 23:41

I believe it'll be used for the Aus matches in Jaapan.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Wed 04 Feb 2009, 23:44

[This is Rachel]

There are basically three sets of ultra demanding fans:

1. Indians. They had the first trial, back in July, and it seemed to go ok, bar some teething troubles.

2. English. Happening now.

3. Australians. Happening when they tour South Africa shortly.

Once these three groups have had a chance to rip into it (i.e. when its their team that is on the wrong end of an overturned decision), we'll see whether the system is any good or not. My guess is that it will take a while to bed down, but that if it is allowed to do so, it will simply blend into the scenery, like going to the third umpire for Run outs. Wasn't so long ago that they only did this for close ones - now it is rare to see anything but the very most obvious cases where the batsman is yards out being given on the field (although personally I think this is A Bad Thing).

The measure of success will be in a couple of years' time, all being well, when fora like this one let whole series pass them by without a single mention of an umpiring 'howler'.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Wed 04 Feb 2009, 23:46

[This is Rachel]

Demelza,

See my comment on the Eng WI match thread about the system being experimental. If you went to the I.C.C. website as I suggested, you could read all about which series it was being used in. The plan is to let every Test-playing nation trial it in as short a time as possible, then get I.C.C.'s Cricket Committee to consider the feedback from the teams and umpires.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 04 Feb 2009, 23:47

Eric Air Emu wrote:Once these three groups have had a chance to rip into it (i.e. when its their team that is on the wrong end of an overturned decision), we'll see whether the system is any good or not.
So they're burying it on Aus matches in the middle of our night. Good move. Gotta love those qunts at the ICC.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Wed 04 Feb 2009, 23:50

[This is Rachel]

Zat,

Oh please. You're a nation of sports obsessives (your popular culture even references cricket - we have nothing like that in the UK). Like you won't be pointing out all the faults of the system in the finest detail even though it's on in the middle of the night? We'll hear nothing else for weeks!
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 04 Feb 2009, 23:54

I'll watch some of it, sure, but there are a whole host of casual sports fans who won't see it due to time difference, and because the tour is only available via pay TV here. I can't see why it wasn't trialled in Australia, in the flesh, in front of the biggest live crowds the game has to offer.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next