Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pakistan vs South Africa Test series in Pakistan

+13
taipan
SG
Chandan
Henry
bliksem
Juicy Fruity
please don't yell
Makaveli
PearlJ
doremi
Aathma
Winkle Spinner
filosofee
17 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Pakistan vs South Africa Test series in Pakistan - Page 2 Empty Re: Pakistan vs South Africa Test series in Pakistan

Post by embee Thu 27 Sep 2007, 09:53

I'd give Boucher slightly more than that , Trev
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Pakistan vs South Africa Test series in Pakistan - Page 2 Empty Re: Pakistan vs South Africa Test series in Pakistan

Post by SG Thu 27 Sep 2007, 09:56

Good link for Pak fans,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPzjMaDfNQ0

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 27 Sep 2007, 09:57

Henry wrote:Boucher will never be considered great. He'll be remembered as a great servant to South African cricket, who was 'solid' with both bat and gloves.

The fact that he will set up records that will probably never be beaten means nothing
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 27 Sep 2007, 09:59

embee wrote:I'd give Boucher slightly more than that , Trev

But imo he's only ever been a slightly better than average 'keeper. He's dropped some clangers in his time and he's never had to keep to a truly quality spinner. Batting wise he's made some handy contributions down the order, but I think a Test average of 30 is an underachievement for a guy with his talent and technique.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:06

Henry wrote:

But imo he's only ever been a slightly better than average 'keeper. He's dropped some clangers in his time and he's never had to keep to a truly quality spinner. Batting wise he's made some handy contributions down the order, but I think a Test average of 30 is an underachievement for a guy with his talent and technique.

Well your opinion has never meant much.

Check out his wicket per innings ratio against people like Knott for instance.

If SA had a world class spinner he would have had the record long ago.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:09

And your opinion is gold dust? If you're measuring the quality of a 'keeper based purely on his stats then you havent got a farking clue. Good fast bowlers get the batsmen to nick the ball a lot, meaning the 'keeper gets more catches. Donald, Pollock, and Ntini have ensured plently of easy chances for Boucher over the years.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:13

Henry wrote:And your opinion is gold dust? If you're measuring the quality of a 'keeper based purely on his stats then you havent got a farking clue. Good fast bowlers get the batsmen to nick the ball a lot, meaning the 'keeper gets more catches. Donald, Pollock, and Ntini have ensured plently of easy chances for Boucher over the years.

Well compared to some of the carp you have posted over the years it is.

Of course the fact that he holds the test record for the most delieveries without conceding a bye makes him an average keeper in your eyes.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:17

taipan wrote:
Henry wrote:

Well your opinion has never meant much.

Check out his wicket per innings ratio against people like Knott for instance.

If SA had a world class spinner he would have had the record long ago.

Yes, better than Knott but falling short statistically of the true indicator of greatness set by Geraint Jones...
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:19

Gary 111 wrote:Yes, better than Knott but falling short statistically of the true indicator of greatness set by Geraint Jones...

GOJ's dismissals to matches ratio is awesome.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:20

Like I said, he's never kept against a quality spinner. It's usually not hard to stop a delivery from a fast bowler from 20 yards behind the wicket, but I do remember on South Africa's tour of England in 2003, he could hardly catch the ball.

He's not a terrible 'keeper, but he's far from being a great one. And there's no way on earth statistics alone can put him ahead of the likes of Knott, Marsh, and Healy.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:26

Henry wrote:Like I said, he's never kept against a quality spinner. It's usually not hard to stop a delivery from a fast bowler from 20 yards behind the wicket, but I do remember on South Africa's tour of England in 2003, he could hardly catch the ball.

He's not a terrible 'keeper, but he's far from being a great one. And there's no way on earth statistics alone can put him ahead of the likes of Knott, Marsh, and Healy.

Yep, he had one bad season in England.

Marsh kept to Lillee and Thompson so why are his stats lower then?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:33

Caught Marsh bowled Lillee is a household phrase in Australia. You just need to have seen Marsh keep to know that he is better than Boucher.

In world cricket at the moment, id place Boucher behind Sangakkara, McCullum, Gilchrist, and probably Dhoni as a 'keeper. Regardless of stats. Mike Atherton has more runs than Don Bradman. Does that make Atherton the better batsman? Going by your theory, it must do.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:35

Henry wrote:Caught Marsh bowled Lillee is a household phrase in Australia. You just need to have seen Marsh keep to know that he is better than Boucher.

In world cricket at the moment, id place Boucher behind Sangakkara, McCullum, Gilchrist, and probably Dhoni as a 'keeper. Regardless of stats. Mike Atherton has more runs than Don Bradman. Does that make Atherton the better batsman? Going by your theory, it must do.

No, you go by the averages, which is exactly what I am doing.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:37

taipan wrote:
Henry wrote:Caught Marsh bowled Lillee is a household phrase in Australia. You just need to have seen Marsh keep to know that he is better than Boucher.

No, you go by the averages, which is wxactly what I am doing.

taips, you would really need to look at the success rate of dismissals to chances to compare the way you are trying to.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:42

Boucher is the best keeper around today. Statistically Gilchrist is and he's not far behind Boucher in the technical stakes.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:42

tac wrote:
taipan wrote:

taips, you would really need to look at the success rate of dismissals to chances to compare the way you are trying to.

Not quite with you there tac.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:45

taipan wrote:
tac wrote:
taipan wrote:

I've only skimmed through this because reading Henry's crap usually makes me sick, but you seem to be comparing keepers on wickets per match. Yes?
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:48

tac wrote:
taipan wrote:
tac wrote:
taipan wrote:

I've only skimmed through this because reading Henry's crap usually makes me sick, but you seem to be comparing keepers on wickets per match. Yes?

Basically, yes.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:51

Urgh....He's saying that you need to find out how many catches Boucher has dropped compared to how many he has caught to get a truer reflection of how good he is.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:52

I think that the only fair way to compare apples with apples is to look at the 'keepers success rate. How many catches do they take as a percentage of chances offered by batsmen.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:54

tac wrote:I think that the only fair way to compare apples with apples is to look at the 'keepers success rate. How many catches do they take as a percentage of chances offered by batsmen.

Unfortunately no-one keeps records of dropped chances, allowing the myth that Knott / Evans / Oldfield (insert old keepers name here) never dropped a catch in their life and any modern keeper isn't fit to lace their boots.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:56

That myth seems to have been attached to Chris Read as well, Gary.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:57

Word. What I do know is Gilly should have the best ratio. Too many great bowlers providing too many chances. Stats say 4.21 dismissals per match compared to 3.9 for Boucher.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Thu 27 Sep 2007, 11:01

Henry wrote:That myth seems to have been attached to Chris Read as well, Gary.

Well he is the best keeper around in the international game at the moment. But we have howls of protest everytime he fails with the bat (and even recently when he succeeds with it) so instead we get to watch some bald bloke keeping like coco the clown.

At the very least he should be forced to wear a big curly green wig, size 20 shoes and have a big red nose to make the spectacle complete.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Thu 27 Sep 2007, 11:02

Batfink Begins wrote:Word. What I do know is Gilly should have the best ratio. Too many great bowlers providing too many chances. Stats say 4.21 dismissals per match compared to 3.9 for Boucher.

Gilchrist is a better keeper than many give him credit. Struggling to find a better one currently in international cricket at the moment.

Last edited by on Thu 27 Sep 2007, 11:03; edited 1 time in total
Gary 111
Gary 111

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next