Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which browser do you use and why?

+10
Lara Lara Laughs
PearlJ
Henry Nolonga
Brass Monkey
Anniyan
freddled gruntbuggly
HH_pink
*Buckaroo*
LeFromage
mynah
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Which browser do you use and why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Post by mynah Thu 27 Sep 2007, 04:32

*Buckaroo* wrote:It was popular before IE was launched and windows 95 GUI. Later Windoze made it irrelevant by making NN slower to operate on Windoze platform in order to popularize IE.

That is when NN started declining.
It's not the "slower" that bugged me so much as the frames popping up with odd shapes and in odd places, rather like noses on a Picasso artwork... Didn't know it preceded IE though, that would explain at least part of its popularity.
mynah
mynah

Which browser do you use and why? - Page 2 APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3385
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Which browser do you use and why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which browser do you use and why?

Post by *Buckaroo* Thu 27 Sep 2007, 04:35

yeah...their Windoze GUI version browser was not neat. I guess they realized that their times up and ms intends to monopolize with their own browser.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Nolonga Thu 27 Sep 2007, 09:31

doremi, you've gone up in my estimation.

BTW Netscape Navigator is still alive, doesn't look too bad but i wouldn't use it.

And if you want to know about some of the history between IE and NN take a look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_wars
Henry Nolonga
Henry Nolonga

Number of posts : 1639
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Anniyan Thu 27 Sep 2007, 10:31

Funny thing was when Gates made a deal with Netscape during their hay days that he'll give them royalties to put their code on windows under IE as browser and shafted them by giving it away free! Laughing
Anniyan
Anniyan

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : sl

Back to top Go down

Post by spangler Thu 27 Sep 2007, 13:50

I use IE because Microsoft have never produced anything that's not completely perfect.
spangler
spangler

Which browser do you use and why? - Page 2 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2554
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anniyan Thu 27 Sep 2007, 14:12

In software engineering you can never achieve the perfect product as the software life cycle is ever evolving. Just like life there will be flaws with everything!
Anniyan
Anniyan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 27 Sep 2007, 14:13

Anniyan wrote:In software engineering you can never achieve the perfect product as the software life cycle is ever evolving. Just like life there will be flaws with everything!

What do you know. Sh!tloads of my programs are perfect.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Nolonga Thu 27 Sep 2007, 14:14

spangler wrote:I use IE because Microsoft have never produced anything that's not completely perfect.

eh? IMO the only near perfect software that Microsoft came up with is Visual Studio.net. The rest aren't so great, especially the likes of IE 6 and Frontpage.
Henry Nolonga
Henry Nolonga

Back to top Go down

Post by Anniyan Thu 27 Sep 2007, 16:56

Batfink Begins wrote:
Anniyan wrote:In software engineering you can never achieve the perfect product as the software life cycle is ever evolving. Just like life there will be flaws with everything!

What do you know. Sh!tloads of my programs are perfect.

that's what you like to think! you will eventually find out a flaw when you start using the rest of the 90% of the program! Trust me working in software support has taught me that no body's perfect and you can't satisfy 100% of the customers. you can always try but that's called evolution.
Anniyan
Anniyan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 27 Sep 2007, 17:34

Anniyan wrote:that's what you like to think! you will eventually find out a flaw when you start using the rest of the 90% of the program! Trust me working in software support has taught me that no body's perfect and you can't satisfy 100% of the customers. you can always try but that's called evolution.

Laughing Nah, NSR there. I was being sarcastic, I get a few amendments etc.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 28 Sep 2007, 00:02

Back the original question. I have now tried Firefox and Opera as browsers and found no difference. In fact Opera appeared to be slower than IE7 and Firefox. Suspect
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Anniyan Fri 28 Sep 2007, 08:49

skully wrote:Back the original question. I have now tried Firefox and Opera as browsers and found no difference. In fact Opera appeared to be slower than IE7 and Firefox. Suspect

very interesting Skully! When you run your browsers does your CPU thrash away mad? Right click task bar and go in to task manager and select performance. If you have high activity on CPU usage (when you are just using your browser) then you may need to do a health check on your PC. May i ask a selly question, do you have the latest versions of Flash, Macromedia stuff and Java? Most of the websites nowadays are designed using these components and having the lastest versions of these may make a difference. You can get flash and shockwave players from Adobe website and Java from Sun website.
Anniyan
Anniyan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Nolonga Fri 28 Sep 2007, 09:40

skully wrote:Back the original question. I have now tried Firefox and Opera as browsers and found no difference. In fact Opera appeared to be slower than IE7 and Firefox. Suspect

That's very strange. Also, you may not notice the difference between Opera and Firefox but they are there. For example, they render HTML and CSS differently and therefore support standards a differently.

Here's a test call the Acid 2 test to test if the browser is standards compliant: http://www.webstandards.org/files/acid2/test.html test the different browsers.
Henry Nolonga
Henry Nolonga

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 28 Sep 2007, 10:26

Firefox fails that test. I'd still swear by it.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Nolonga Fri 28 Sep 2007, 14:25

JKLever wrote:Firefox fails that test. I'd still swear by it.

Well as a web developer i would swear at it. Although, that's not to say that it's really bad at rendering pages, it's not. It's just not the best as some Firefox hype suggests.
Henry Nolonga
Henry Nolonga

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Fri 28 Sep 2007, 20:51

I'm trying out Firefox for the first time right now.

It's all right. Doesn't seem any quicker or slower than IE. Pages look a little different, just the odd subtle thing.

Better/worse? shrug
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Sep 2007, 22:10

The C4 forum would hardly ever load for me when I had IE.
LLL recommended Firefox and it never failed to load after that.

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Fri 28 Sep 2007, 22:14

Demelza wrote:The C4 forum would hardly ever load for me when I had IE.
LLL recommended Firefox and it never failed to load after that.
Same reason why I stuck to it after your recommendation.
mynah
mynah

Which browser do you use and why? - Page 2 APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3385
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 28 Sep 2007, 22:38

Firefox is more secure than I.E and I have never once had it lock up on me like IE.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Sep 2007, 12:04

IE because it came with the PC. It doesn't crash on mine. I've never even heard of any of the others.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2