Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steyn desperate to lose early stain.

+2
taipan
Red
6 posters

Go down

Steyn desperate to lose early stain. Empty Steyn desperate to lose early stain.

Post by Red Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:09 pm

They may be wasting their time punning his name in Australia because most scribes here seem to pronounce it Stine. I've even heard Stern.

Steyn desperate to lose early stain

December 3, 2008

Dale Steyn will use an awful one-day entry against Australia as motivation for the upcoming Test series in which the in-form fast bowler will play a key part. Steyn has taken 60 wickets in 11 matches this year and will be a huge challenge for the home side's top order, especially in the opening game at the WACA from December 17.

Steyn, who has played 27 Tests and has an amazing strike-rate of 37.5, visited Australia for a one-day series in 2005-06 and was smashed for 58 in five overs in a day he cannot forget. "I look back on that game as probably the most important of my career," Steyn told the Sydney Morning Herald. "I remember walking off the field embarrassed, and feeling unworthy of even being on the field. It was a terrible feeling, and I've used it to motivate me ever since.

"I had only played a handful of Tests, and was thrown in the deepest end imaginable against what was the best one-day side in the world at the time. It showed me exactly what I needed to do to compete with the best, and forced me to go back to the nets and work hard on my game until I got it right. I refer back to that game often, and I think in the long run it probably helped to make me the bowler I am today."

Steyn is about to start his first Test tour of Australia and is desperate to display his improvement. "I can't wait to get out there and challenge the Australian batsmen," he said, "and hopefully show that I have come a long way from two or three years ago."

The WACA pitch appears to be gaining more pace after a few seasons of dull bounce and Steyn said he got goosebumps when thinking about playing there. "We have toured the subcontinent a lot in recent years, so I have become pretty used to see the ball carrying at ankle height to the wicketkeeper," he said. "The idea of the ball flying past noses and really pinging into the keepers' gloves is really exciting."

However, the threat of extreme bounce has been tempered by the curator Cameron Sutherland, who will not use one of the fully re-laid strips for the Test. The new wickets have provided extra pace, but Sutherland said the pitch chosen would be better than the lifeless one for the India Test last year.

"When we used it for the Twenty20 game between Australia and New Zealand last year it was quite quick," Sutherland told the Australian. "Every game we've played it's been a pretty good cricket wicket."
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Steyn desperate to lose early stain. Empty Re: Steyn desperate to lose early stain.

Post by taipan Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:16 pm

Red wrote: most scribes here seem to pronounce it Stine. I've even heard Stern.

From the written word?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Steyn desperate to lose early stain. Empty Re: Steyn desperate to lose early stain.

Post by Red Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:53 pm

taipan wrote:
Red wrote: most scribes here seem to pronounce it Stine. I've even heard Stern.

Yes.

From the written word?
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:54 pm

Please correct the quotes
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:19 am

taips, Red borders on the illiterate, and obviously struggles with technology. Which is why we get so many cut and paste entire articles instead of linking to them and pick a salient (look it up, Red) paragraph or two.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:25 am

Yarpie names are funny. I knew a guy by the name of 'van wyk' who said it was pronounced 'fan vake'.

Don't know if he was taking the piss.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:35 am

Saffies are funny. They make me laugh. Especially when the World Cup is on.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:48 pm

AUS better watch out.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:00 pm

Why is that Aqib?

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:22 pm

yeah Aqib Javed was quite brilliant in the 1992 WC game at the WACA but i expect Steyn to be even brillianterr
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:50 pm

PlanetPakistan wrote:AUS better watch out.

Are you sure you don't want to hop into bed with Steyn?
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:43 pm

Australia's last four losses in Oz have been caused by collapsing to RP Singh/Irfan Pathan , Agit Agarkar , Andy Caddick and Dean Headley ...on that evidence Steyn might be too good to bowl the Saffies to a win
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26216
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:19 am

Red wrote:
PlanetPakistan wrote:AUS better watch out.

Are you sure you don't want to hop into bed with Steyn?
I told you before that i have my own bed

plus i have a lot of other things to hop in to
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down