Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most.Desperate.Record.EVER

+6
Zat
skully
JGK
tac
furriner
embee
10 posters

Go down

Most.Desperate.Record.EVER Empty Most.Desperate.Record.EVER

Post by embee Tue 19 Jan 2010, 03:29

Nathan Hauritz surpasses spin greats as Australia whitewashes Paksitan Peter Badel From: Herald Sun January 19, 2010 10:11AM

.RICKY Ponting says Nathan Hauritz has finally found the confidence to be a matchwinner after he broke an 81-year-old spin record on Monday.
Hauritz reached into his growing reservoir of self-belief to spin Australia to a 3-0 series caning of the tourists, but that didn't stop Pakistan skipper Mohammad Yousuf taking a veiled post-match swipe at him.

Having taken 3-96 in the first innings, Hauritz claimed 3-30 on day five at Bellerive Oval as Pakistan crashed to 206 all out and a 231-run defeat in the third Test.

The six-wicket match haul completed a magnificent summer for the 28-year-old, who finished as Australia's equal leading wicket-taker with Mitchell Johnson, claiming 29 victims at 26.82.

He was a $15 outsider to take the most wickets in the Pakistan series but grabbed a series-high 18 scalps at 23.05.

Hauritz celebrated another special milestone on Monday, breaking the mark for the most fourth-innings wickets in a series by a spinner on Australian soil.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related CoverageMore cricket: All the action from the pitch Australia clean sweep Pakistan World beaters: Yousuf declares Aussies the best .End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
English tweaker Jack White held the record, having taken 12 fourth-innings wickets in the 1928-29 Ashes series.

Hauritz claimed his 13th fourth-innings scalp against the Pakistanis when he removed tailender Umar Gul.

Hauritz leapfrogged spin predecessors Arthur Mailey, Chuck Fleetwood-Smith and Shane Warne, who have taken 11 fourth-innings scalps in a series in Australia.

And while Yousuf is not convinced Hauritz is the real deal, Ponting said he wouldn't swap the maligned spinner for anyone.

"I'm very excited with what he's done and what the future holds for him. He's in good shape," Ponting said.

"To take 18 wickets in three games on two wickets that don't offer much, you've obviously learnt a lot about yourself and are finding ways to get guys out.

"Haurie has come along tremendously well. We needed to let him learn and develop. (English off-spinner) Graeme Swann has had a great year as well but we're happy with what we've got."

Six weeks ago Hauritz was under the pump, with chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch challenging him to take more fourth-innings wickets.

The spinner has responded, evidence for Ponting that Hauritz is as mentally tough as any spinner in the world.

"He's had a great series here. We've been waiting for a guy like him to have a breakout performance and it's only a matter of time before it keeps happening again," he said.

"Nathan is doing everything we've asked of him and he has since we picked him. He's probably a bit maligned and he gets a bit from the crowds, but his best has been very good for us."

Yousuf was less complimentary, saying: "We need betterment in all areas. We gave 18 wickets to Nathan Hauritz ... that is more disappointing."

Hauritz, after taking his 53rd scalp in 13 Tests, said his best was yet to come.

"I'm getting better," he said.

"Another Test series like this would be nice. I've just got to keep improving and I'm happy with the way the ball is coming out."

Ponting was pleased with the way his side went for the jugular after Australia started the final day of the Test summer needing six wickets to secure a series sweep.

Khurram Manzoorshowed some fight in the first session but when Hauritz had the No. 3 caught behind to leave Pakistan 7-189, it was curtains for the tourists.

Ponting also praised Peter Siddle, who took five wickets in the match.

"It's good to see him get the reward for the hard work he's put in," Ponting said.

LAST-DAY WRECKER
Most fourth-innings wickets by a spinner in a Test series on Australian soil
13 Nathan Hauritz (Aus) v Pakistan 2009-10
12 Jack White (Eng) v Australia 1928-29
11 Arthur Mailey (Aus) v England 1924-25
Chuck Fleetwood-Smith (Aus) v England 1936-37
Shane Warne (Aus) v England 1994-95

AUSTRALIANS v PAKISTAN
Nathan Hauritz 18 wickets at 23.05
Doug Bollinger 12 wickets at 21.83
Mitchell Johnson 12 wickets at 25.66
Peter Siddle 8 wickets at 32.75
Shane Watson 5 wickets at 25.00
Simon Katich 3 wickets at 19.00

HAURITZ THIS SUMMER
Six Tests
29 wickets at 26.82
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Most.Desperate.Record.EVER Empty Re: Most.Desperate.Record.EVER

Post by furriner Tue 19 Jan 2010, 03:34

I note that Hauritz has also taken more wickets per kilogram weight than that fat whatsisname leggie y'all had.

Hauritz >>> Whatsisname.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12508
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 19 Jan 2010, 03:37

You could write for an Ozzie paper , Furry
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 19 Jan 2010, 03:38

embee wrote:You could write randomly throw words on a page for an Ozzie paper , Furry
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 19 Jan 2010, 03:43

Saunders took 15 4th innings wickets against the Poms in 1907/8.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 19 Jan 2010, 03:50

desperate ...and ...WRONG ....useless journos
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 19 Jan 2010, 04:08

That really is a bullsh!t desperado record. Warnie had 11 4th innings wickets after the first 2 Tests in 94-95 and only got one more go in the 4th innings - in the 5th Test, when the Poms were so desperate to get the series over with that they threw their wickets away and we all out for 123 (McSofty got 6). Warnie only bowled a handful of overs.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue 19 Jan 2010, 04:31

embee wrote:You could write for an Ozzie paper , Furry

How do you know I don't? clown

I was a business journo in India for eight years or so.

True Story: Many moons ago, I had written an article on a leading Delhi based business house that was being managed by two brothers just after the death of their father, the family patriarch and business legend. Just before going to the printers my editor told me I had to increase the word count by another 10 words or so to make it fit on the page (stuff like that happens) so I added a few words on the late business legend and his legacy.

It was a pretty comprehensive write up and I thought it to be particularly good, given that it was written under a very tight deadline.

On the morning it was published I got a call from their PR officer who was apoplectic with rage. Turns out that the 'dead patriarch' was alive and well. I told the PR guy that every newspaper/ magazine story I researched prior to writing the article mentioned that the old ba$tard was gone. "No he isn't" the fellow said, "Six months ago one paper mistakenly wrote that he had died. Since then every story on our company, no matter which publication carries it now mentions his demise. They all read the original story; no one reads the subsequent retractions".

Oops. We published a retraction. Bet no one read that either.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue 19 Jan 2010, 04:31

See, double post. Any journo knows that if you say it once, it's worth saying twice.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 19 Jan 2010, 04:36

You make too much sense to write for Oz paper
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Tue 19 Jan 2010, 20:42

If you can't make it right, make it up.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 19 Jan 2010, 23:53

I actually think the most desparate record should be the highest % survivor of run outs - fleas leads followed by K snr
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Tue 19 Jan 2010, 23:56

horace wrote:I actually think the most desparate record should be the highest % survivor of run outs - fleas leads followed by K snr

Surely Boycott wins that by a street?

Shoeshine

Most.Desperate.Record.EVER Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 20 Jan 2010, 00:04

Ksnr was the boycs of Oz cricket...fleas challenges both
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Wed 20 Jan 2010, 00:09

Shoeshine wrote:
horace wrote:I actually think the most desparate record should be the highest % survivor of run outs - fleas leads followed by K snr

Surely Boycott wins that by a street?

Boycs is only at 65% (13 out of 20 run outs involved in his partner was the victim)

Steve Waugh was 85% (22 / 26)

but Jimmy Adams, Gerry Gomez, JK Holt and Dennis Lillee are all at 100%
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 25 Apr 2011, 04:47

Great stats, RD.

... though the reason you throw these mouldy crumbs in horrie's direction is hard to fathom.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down