Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beefy - still bitter, 15 years on...

+13
skully
HH_pink
tac
Eric Air Emu
Henry
*Buckaroo*
taipan
JKLever
doremi
Leo
Merlin
Gary 111
JGK
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Beefy - still bitter, 15 years on... Empty Beefy - still bitter, 15 years on...

Post by JGK Thu 27 Sep 2007, 11:32

...not to mention homophobic. You Poms must be so proud.

Sir Ian's beef over 'Queen'

Phil Lutton
September 27, 2007 - 3:06PM

Time heals all wounds. Except if you're Ian Botham reminiscing about his famous dinner walk-out before the 1992 cricket World Cup final in Melbourne.

Botham and Graham Gooch created a mini-storm when they strode out mid-meal on the eve of the World Cup decider against Pakistan at the MCG, taking offence to Australian comedian Gerry Connolly's impersonation of the Queen.

Connolly was on stage joking the royal family was to be privatised and sponsored by Fosters when the pair strode back to the pavilion, leaving team-mates and a shocked audience in their wake.

Fifteen years later, Botham's beef with the comic shows no signs of subsiding. The legendary all-rounder now says he never wanted to attend the gala dinner in the first place and described Connolly as "some poofter gay guy".

"It would never happen now on the eve of a World Cup final. Paraded in, sat down - really don't want to be there. Got my mind a million miles away," a grumpy Botham told UK sports history website http://www.sportasylum.co.uk.

"World Cup final, 1992, last game I'm going to play, big game in a big arena, retire the following summer ... and I'm there and I've got some poofter gay guy comes on stage in drag with a stuffed corgi under his arm and takes the piss out of the Queen.
"Why should I put up with that? If it was done the other way around and he came in with a turban on his head and took the mickey out of the Pakistan team it would be called racism."

Gooch, also featured in the video piece, presented a more conciliatory tone, saying he was upset at the time but the incident was "no massive deal".

"At this particular time before the World Cup final I just thought it was in bad taste and the wrong moment and I just didn't want to listen to it," Gooch said.

"Neither did Ian Botham, so we just got up at this dinner and walked straight out across the floor in front of everybody. It caused a bit of a minor ruck in the press.

"Most of our team stayed but we didn't so we left. I was pretty upset about it, I have to say, at the time. I don't think I was in good taste but it was no massive deal."

Connolly's parody of the royals came on the heels of then Prime Minister Paul Keating's high-profile gaff when he put his hand of the Queen's back during her visit to Australia, earning him the moniker "Lizard of Oz" in the British press.

An unrepentant Connolly was later quoted as saying: "They left before I got to the really mean bits."

Check out Beefy's spray here. http://www.sportasylum.com/page/CricketVideoArchiveDetail/0,,10301~1009874,00.html

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Beefy - still bitter, 15 years on... Empty Re: Beefy - still bitter, 15 years on...

Post by Gary 111 Thu 27 Sep 2007, 11:45

Aye, moaning about a few light hearted comments, the silly sod.

http://www.sportinglife.com/cricket/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=cricket/06/02/07/CRICKET_Tufnell.html
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : eng

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Beefy - still bitter, 15 years on... Empty Re: Beefy - still bitter, 15 years on...

Post by Merlin Thu 27 Sep 2007, 11:49

Good for Beefy.
He never were one to "mince" his words ....

I'm no Royalist - far from - but jebesus, if a guy feels that way, WTF should anyone question his motive or intention.

He took a dislike to the show - regardless of gay poof in drag, whatever ... - and he walked out.
So farking what?

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 27 Sep 2007, 11:51

Gary 111 wrote:Aye, moaning about a few light hearted comments, the silly sod.

http://www.sportinglife.com/cricket/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=cricket/06/02/07/CRICKET_Tufnell.html
Noice one Gazza.

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo Thu 27 Sep 2007, 11:53

I agree, Merlo. Good for Beefy.

If he's happy to look silly in public, that's his call. I got a chuckle out of reading the above article, anyway. Smile
Leo
Leo

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2007-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 27 Sep 2007, 11:56

Leo wrote:I agree, Merlo. Good for Beefy.

If he's happy to look silly in public, that's his call. I got a chuckle out of reading the above article, anyway. Smile

Now checkout Garry111's website for another chuckle! Wink

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Thu 27 Sep 2007, 11:57

So, both Australian and English cricketers are humourless and bitter pieces of ****. Got it.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 27 Sep 2007, 11:58

doremi wrote:So, some Australian and English cricketers are humourless and bitter pieces of ****. Got it.

Fixed, and aye.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 27 Sep 2007, 11:58

doremi wrote:So, both Australian and English cricketers are humourless and bitter pieces of ****. Got it.

Have you only just this second reached that conclusion doremi?!!
Blimey mate - where have you been since Bradman hit the headlines?!

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 27 Sep 2007, 12:04

doremi wrote:So, both Australian and English cricketers are humourless and bitter pieces of ****. Got it.

Not everyone can be a barrel of laughs like Ganguly and Shoaib.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Thu 27 Sep 2007, 12:07

taipan wrote:

Not everyone can be a barrel of laughs like Ganguly and Shoaib.

You have grossly underestimated Sehwag.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 27 Sep 2007, 12:10

Merlin wrote:
Leo wrote:I agree, Merlo. Good for Beefy.

Now checkout Garry111's website for another chuckle! Wink

It would be funny if the Ponting (who is a sook I will admit) was still pissed off in 2021.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Thu 27 Sep 2007, 12:13

JGK wrote:

It would be funny if the Ponting (who is a sook I will admit) was still pissed off in 2021.

2012 you mean ?
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Thu 27 Sep 2007, 12:28

Oh, he will be. Just ask Neil Harvey.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 27 Sep 2007, 12:42

Well Lawry and Chapelli are still bitter about 1970
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 27 Sep 2007, 14:02

Alec Stewart walked out of a smilar type of function during the 2002/03 Ashes series- Ie an Aussie comedian taking the piss out of the English team whilst they all had to just sit there and take it.

You can understand why the players get angry about this sort of thing- They are told by management that they must attend these functions(Which they never want to do) and then they're supposed to just sit there whilst some guy they've never heard of takes the mic out of them and their country.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 27 Sep 2007, 14:23

Aye. I sort of agree with Triv.

I'm sure most of these blokes can take a joke but it would be a bit like hosting the Indian cricket team and making them sit through 5 episodes of It ain't alf hot mum as a gesture of friendship.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 27 Sep 2007, 16:07

Gary 111 wrote:Oh, he will be. Just ask Neil Harvey.

Laughing Nice.

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Thu 27 Sep 2007, 18:23

Do they wear turbans in Pakistan?
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 27 Sep 2007, 18:45

Henry wrote:
You can understand why the players get angry about this sort of thing- They are told by management that they must attend these functions(Which they never want to do) and then they're supposed to just sit there whilst some guy they've never heard of takes the mic out of them and their country.

Like you, every day on this forum trying to take a pot shot at Aussies? At least the comedians are sometimes funny and don't take it up the arse from lags.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 27 Sep 2007, 19:18

But to be fair to Mudge, he's just a rabid Aussie hater on a forum full of wind up merchants.

Not an official welcoming party!
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Thu 27 Sep 2007, 19:38

JGK wrote:...not to mention homophobic. You Poms must be so proud.

Sir Ian's beef over 'Queen'

Phil Lutton
September 27, 2007 - 3:06PM

Gooch, also featured in the video piece, presented a more conciliatory tone, saying he was upset at the time but the incident was "no massive deal".

"At this particular time before the World Cup final I just thought it was in bad taste and the wrong moment and I just didn't want to listen to it," Gooch said.

"Neither did Ian Botham, so we just got up at this dinner and walked straight out across the floor in front of everybody. It caused a bit of a minor ruck in the press.

"Most of our team stayed but we didn't so we left. I was pretty upset about it, I have to say, at the time. I don't think I was in good taste but it was no massive deal."

:lol: Genius.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Beefy - still bitter, 15 years on... APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3353
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo Fri 28 Sep 2007, 00:24

You know, Ponting and Botham being gits isn't really news. Anyone who hadn't worked that out hasn't paid much attention over the years.

Amusing though.
Leo
Leo

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2007-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 28 Sep 2007, 01:13

tac wrote:
Henry wrote:

Like you, every day on this forum trying to take a pot shot at Aussies? At least the comedians are sometimes funny and don't take it up the arse from lags.
Bwahahaha. Forum gold.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105884
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Fri 28 Sep 2007, 01:19

Isn't the Queen Australia's head of state too?

Which would make her more than fair game for any Australian, I imagine.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next