Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Virender Sehwag- Forget about the stats

+11
SG
Henry
skully
JGK
LeFromage
Chivalry Augustus
Basil
JKLever
rey
The One
PlanetPakistan
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Virender Sehwag- Forget about the stats Empty Virender Sehwag- Forget about the stats

Post by PlanetPakistan Sun 14 Dec 2008, 18:13

I think this guy will be remembered for decades. People will not even CARE about how much he averaged or how many tons he scored

Terrific talent! Viv Richards of the 2000s
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Virender Sehwag- Forget about the stats Empty Re: Virender Sehwag- Forget about the stats

Post by PlanetPakistan Sun 14 Dec 2008, 18:14

Remember this guy REFUSED a single while batting on 199 in the recent series against SL.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Virender Sehwag- Forget about the stats Empty Re: Virender Sehwag- Forget about the stats

Post by The One Sun 14 Dec 2008, 18:16

i think he will soon be acknowledged as india's 4th greatest batsman. he is an absolute freak and i am glad he plays for india

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Sun 14 Dec 2008, 18:20

The One wrote:i think he will soon be acknowledged as india's 4th greatest batsman. he is an absolute freak and i am glad he plays for india
An innings like the one he played today will put FEARS in the hearts of the opposition captains.

Next time when teams are in a strong position they will be very reluctant to declare SIMPLY and purely because of the Sehwag factor. His 2nd innings performance wasn't that good a year or so ago but now he is turning it around big time.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by rey Sun 14 Dec 2008, 18:21

He's incredible.

Some of the shots he has the audacity to play just leave you thinking 'wtf'.
rey
rey

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 14 Dec 2008, 18:44

I've long since given up trying to work out Sehwag - imo his technique should be really vulnerable to both the one that nips back off the pitch and the climbing ball outside off stump.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 14 Dec 2008, 18:50

He is vulnerable to the short stuff: on England's last tour, Hoggard got him into trouble with throat balls.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Sun 14 Dec 2008, 19:01

[quote="JKLever"]I've long since given up trying to work out Sehwag - imo his technique should be really vulnerable to both the one that nips back off the pitch and the climbing ball outside off stump.[/quote]

Neither of which exist on the sub-continent, rendering Sehwag's technique perfectly serviceable. He's something of a freak, but nowhere near good enough to contend with good seam bowling in places like South Africa, England or even New Zealand, where the ball does more than a bit in general for the bowlers. Hence his sub-40 averages in all three countries. As an entertainer, he's second-to-none, but as a batsman on a day where I'd want him to stand up and be counted against world-class seam bowling on a pitch offering something, there are probably twenty players I'd choose ahead of him. One of whom opens the innings with him.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Virender Sehwag- Forget about the stats Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 14 Dec 2008, 19:04

He's no Steve James.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Sun 14 Dec 2008, 19:05

JKLever wrote:I've long since given up trying to work out Sehwag - imo his technique should be really vulnerable to both the one that nips back off the pitch and the climbing ball outside off stump.
thats true...Asif has made him look ordinary on a few occasions with the off cutter but when is ON he is ON and he is on a good 60-70% of the times
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 14 Dec 2008, 19:09

Dello wrote:He's no Steve James.

Who is?
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 14 Dec 2008, 23:42

He certainly has a Gilly like air about him and he is a terririfc entertainer. But his "miss" rate as an opener is a bit high.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 15 Dec 2008, 00:06

No feet movement but fantastic eye-hand coordination.

He scares the bejezus out of me every time he goes out to bat v Aus.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105901
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 15 Dec 2008, 00:42

The One wrote:i think he will soon be acknowledged as india's 4th greatest batsman. he is an absolute freak and i am glad he plays for india

I think he's ahead of Dravid in the all time list. Dravid has been more of match saver than a match winner for India. And the last 2 years have really tarnished his all time great status.

Tendulkar>Gavaskar>Sehwag, imo.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 15 Dec 2008, 02:05

Dravid has been more of match saver than a match winner for India.

Seriously though, how many of Viru's big innings have been in wins for India?

His best against OZ have generally been in draws or losses. His 254 was in the most boring match in history, his 319 was in a high scoring draw and even his 309 was in a match that India utterly dominated where SRT got 194*.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Mon 15 Dec 2008, 02:15

JGK wrote:
Dravid has been more of match saver than a match winner for India.

Seriously though, how many of Viru's big innings have been in wins for India?

His best against OZ have generally been in draws or losses. His 254 was in the most boring match in history, his 319 was in a high scoring draw and even his 309 was in a match that India utterly dominated where SRT got 194*.
i used to say thing and almost dismiss Sehwag as an FTB but that 200* in SL was amazing, now here he played another excellent innings.
He also played a great innings in AUS earlier this year and also in 03-04.

Most importantly for me he makes the game very exciting
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 15 Dec 2008, 02:18

He also played a great innings in AUS earlier this year and also in 03-04.

One in a loss, one in a draw where he was dropped on 0.

Agree about making the game exciting though - he's great fun.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Mon 15 Dec 2008, 05:11

And think about Indian think tank's intelligence to drop him for Yuvraj for first 2 tests against Aus in Aus.

Incidentally those were the only 2 tests we lost in that series.

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 15 Dec 2008, 10:42

Augustus wrote:
JKLever wrote:I've long since given up trying to work out Sehwag - imo his technique should be really vulnerable to both the one that nips back off the pitch and the climbing ball outside off stump.

Neither of which exist on the sub-continent, rendering Sehwag's technique perfectly serviceable. He's something of a freak, but nowhere near good enough to contend with good seam bowling in places like South Africa, England or even New Zealand, where the ball does more than a bit in general for the bowlers. Hence his sub-40 averages in all three countries. As an entertainer, he's second-to-none, but as a batsman on a day where I'd want him to stand up and be counted against world-class seam bowling on a pitch offering something, there are probably twenty players I'd choose ahead of him. One of whom opens the innings with him.

Gloop, you don't have a clue about cricket.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Mon 15 Dec 2008, 10:45

Looks like the case to me as well.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Mon 15 Dec 2008, 10:47

ANY captain would love to have him in his team as opener.

And its not that this is something new. Apart from '07 he has been pretty good in almost each of the year since his debut.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by Chandan Tue 16 Dec 2008, 07:59

Basil wrote:He is vulnerable to the short stuff: on England's last tour, Hoggard got him into trouble with throat balls.

Are you talking about 2006? If so, Sehwag has come a long way from that!

Chandan

Number of posts : 1780
Registration date : 2007-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Tue 16 Dec 2008, 08:01

IIRC Sehwag didn't even play in ENG last year.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by Chandan Tue 16 Dec 2008, 08:18

I think he is talking about about the series in India in 2006 when Sehwag was in a rotten form.

Chandan

Number of posts : 1780
Registration date : 2007-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Tue 16 Dec 2008, 08:29

yeah i misread Basil's post.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next