Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Truly huge, great earth-shattering breaking news...

+4
ten years after
filosofee
embee
mynah
8 posters

Go down

Truly huge, great earth-shattering breaking news... Empty Truly huge, great earth-shattering breaking news...

Post by mynah Fri 28 Sep 2007, 07:51

A while ago I subscribed to the New York Times' Breaking News Alert service, reckoning that I wouldn't want to hear it several days late if, say, Osama bin Laden or a devastating earthquake level the Pentagon or San Francisco respectively.

Two days later came the interstate bridge collapse, which, it seems, was not worthy of reporting. Since then they've remained silent on natural disasters, major plane crashes and raging wars, and I assumed they'd forgotten about the whole thing.

Thus, when I saw the "News Alert" flash onto my e-mail in the midnight hours , I felt a journalistic rush of adrenalin. What could be important enough at last to warrant action? A killer asteroid about to extinguish us like the dinosaurs? A world-wide tsunami?

Well, this was what the report said:

The New York Times
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 -- 10:42 PM ET
-----

Yankees Clinch Playoffs for 13th Consecutive Season

The Yankees beat the Devil Rays 12 - 4 on Wednesday,
guaranteeing them at least the American League wild card
spot. They still trail the Boston Red Sox by three games in
the A.L. East.
Rolling Eyes
mynah
mynah

Truly huge, great earth-shattering breaking news... APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3385
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Truly huge, great earth-shattering breaking news... Empty Re: Truly huge, great earth-shattering breaking news...

Post by embee Fri 28 Sep 2007, 09:21

With the Yankees ...it would be earth shattering news if they DIDN'T make the playoffs
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26186
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Truly huge, great earth-shattering breaking news... Empty Re: Truly huge, great earth-shattering breaking news...

Post by filosofee Fri 28 Sep 2007, 12:25

mynah wrote:A while ago I subscribed to the New York Times' Breaking News Alert service, reckoning that I wouldn't want to hear it several days late if, say, Osama bin Laden or a devastating earthquake level the Pentagon or San Francisco respectively.

Two days later came the interstate bridge collapse, which, it seems, was not worthy of reporting. Since then they've remained silent on natural disasters, major plane crashes and raging wars, and I assumed they'd forgotten about the whole thing.

Thus, when I saw the "News Alert" flash onto my e-mail in the midnight hours , I felt a journalistic rush of adrenalin. What could be important enough at last to warrant action? A killer asteroid about to extinguish us like the dinosaurs? A world-wide tsunami?

The New York Times
-----

the A.L. East.
Rolling Eyes

The World as seen by the US and NYT!
filosofee
filosofee

Number of posts : 1712
Registration date : 2007-09-07
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by ten years after Fri 28 Sep 2007, 13:02

mynah wrote:A while ago I subscribed to the New York Times' Breaking News Alert service, reckoning that I wouldn't want to hear it several days late if, say, Osama bin Laden or a devastating earthquake level the Pentagon or San Francisco respectively.

The New York Times
-----

the A.L. East.
Rolling Eyes

I see what you mean. A strange sense of priorities in a world which saw Reading tragically lose 4-2 at home to Liverpool just a few hours earlier.

ten years after

Number of posts : 1210
Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by filosofee Fri 28 Sep 2007, 14:49

ten years after wrote:
I see what you mean. A strange sense of priorities in a world which saw Reading tragically lose 4-2 at home to Liverpool just a few hours earlier.
Laughing
filosofee
filosofee

Number of posts : 1712
Registration date : 2007-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Fri 28 Sep 2007, 21:43

embee wrote:With the Yankees ...it would be earth shattering news if they DIDN'T make the playoffs
So they could have given me a buzz when the San Andreas fault actually held up last month.
mynah
mynah

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 28 Sep 2007, 22:25

embee wrote:With the Yankees ...it would be earth shattering news if they DIDN'T make the playoffs

... and lose

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38069
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by bliksem Sun 30 Sep 2007, 07:32

Hardly surprising. After all, we're talking about a country where "Paris Hilton is an Airhead" was headline news for about a month.
bliksem
bliksem

Number of posts : 1005

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Mon 01 Oct 2007, 02:59

Just received the second earth-shattering report:

Season Ends for the Mets

An 8-1 loss to the Florida Marlins, coupled with the
Phillies' 6-1 victory against Washington, eliminated the Mets
from postseason contention.
mynah
mynah

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 02 Oct 2007, 06:29

Did the Yankees win last night?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Tue 02 Oct 2007, 06:40

mynah wrote:Just received the second earth-shattering report:

Season Ends for the Mets

An 8-1 loss to the Florida Marlins, coupled with the
Phillies' 6-1 victory against Washington, eliminated the Mets
from postseason contention.

I would've thought it would've been quite literally earth-shattering if the 'mets' actually hit home instead of being eliminated.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Number of posts : 3353

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down