Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How does Mitchell Johnson take wickets?

+11
Hass
doremi
PeterCS
PlanetPakistan
Mick Sawyer
JGK
Zat
horace
OP Tipping
DJ_Smerk
Henry
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How does Mitchell Johnson take wickets? Empty How does Mitchell Johnson take wickets?

Post by Henry Thu 18 Dec 2008, 14:44

All of his balls slant across the right hander. He doesn't do anything with the ball. He's quick but that's it. Why don't they just leave everything that isn't short or a half volley? Ie why can't they leave one ball an over?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

How does Mitchell Johnson take wickets? Empty Re: How does Mitchell Johnson take wickets?

Post by DJ_Smerk Thu 18 Dec 2008, 15:10

I don't know Trev, maybe you know more than 7 South African batsmen? Why aren't you playing Test Cricket?
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

How does Mitchell Johnson take wickets? Empty Re: How does Mitchell Johnson take wickets?

Post by Guest Thu 18 Dec 2008, 16:11

I am certain that I know more than all 11 Saffie batsmen. It's just they have me solidly beaten in the area of 'How to play cricket'

Back to top Go down

Post by OP Tipping Thu 18 Dec 2008, 23:09

It is one of cricket's perversities that sometimes a bowler who seems ordinary can have a knack for taking wickets that can't be explained.
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

How does Mitchell Johnson take wickets? Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4680
Registration date : 2008-01-10
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 18 Dec 2008, 23:24

OP Tipping wrote:It is one of cricket's perversities that sometimes a bowler who seems ordinary can have a knack for taking wickets that can't be explained.

must drive bung mad, wondering when it is to be his turn
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Dec 2008, 23:31

Bowling at the pace Johnson bowls induces players to play at deliveries they perhaps would not against lesser paced bowlers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu 18 Dec 2008, 23:33

Trev, possibly your biggest stretch in anti-Aussie mode yet. Well done.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Fri 19 Dec 2008, 01:48

How does Mitchell Johnson take wickets?

"He puts his right foot first, then his left, followed by his right and left in quick succession, he then reaches for the heavens, looks over his shoulder..."

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Fri 19 Dec 2008, 02:29

JGK in a Mike Walker moment.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Fri 19 Dec 2008, 02:38

He doesn't do anything with the ball

That's why you were a shit batsman Trev.

Last edited by Mick Sawyer on Fri 19 Dec 2008, 02:40; edited 1 time in total
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Fri 19 Dec 2008, 02:39

Henry wrote:All of his balls slant across the right hander. He doesn't do anything with the ball. He's quick but that's it. Why don't they just leave everything that isn't short or a half volley? Ie why can't they leave one ball an over?
i don't know
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Fri 19 Dec 2008, 02:40

There's obviously not much to MJ. I mean it's not like anyone who knows anything about bowling would ever say anything good about him.

It's not like he's a 'once in a generation bowler' or anything like that. Who'd be silly enough to suggest that. Only someone who knows a lot less about fast bowling than Trev, I bet...

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Fri 19 Dec 2008, 03:00

atleast this shows pace is IMPORTANT
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Fri 19 Dec 2008, 03:01

Important? Yes. Everything? No.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 19 Dec 2008, 03:09

Answer to the thread is simple. He is a magician, practising magic. Very Happy
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 19 Dec 2008, 03:25

look midge is a decent bowler who tries hard, never sooks and is committed to improvement....ATTN Sponsor's Exemption - take notice you stoopid spiv
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Fri 19 Dec 2008, 15:25

Henry wrote:All of his balls slant across the right hander. He doesn't do anything with the ball. He's quick but that's it. Why don't they just leave everything that isn't short or a half volley? Ie why can't they leave one ball an over?

Valid question really. He is a bit ordinary when you look at his bowling, pace, stamina, nothing else.

He more or less bored a few Indian batsmen out a few times.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 01 Aug 2012, 06:30

He bowls to the left........

Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 01 Aug 2012, 06:44

horace wrote:look midge is a decent bowler who tries hard, never sooks and is committed to improvement....ATTN Sponsor's Exemption - take notice you stoopid spiv
I bet this is one of those posts h wishes he could take back. Especially the part about being committed to improvement.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 01 Aug 2012, 07:01

Zat wrote:There's obviously not much to MJ. I mean it's not like anyone who knows anything about bowling would ever say anything good about him.

It's not like he's a 'once in a generation bowler' or anything like that. Who'd be silly enough to suggest that. Only someone who knows a lot less about fast bowling than Trev, I bet...

And you must regret posting this one. Although to be fair, Dennis Lillee must be regretting his predictions even more.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 01 Aug 2012, 08:43

Zat wrote:
horace wrote:look midge is a decent bowler who tries hard, never sooks and is committed to improvement....ATTN Sponsor's Exemption - take notice you stoopid spiv
I bet this is one of those posts h wishes he could take back. Especially the part about being committed to improvement.

hehehehe

so I got the sooking wromg ... and I exaggerated the commitment to imrprove bizzo...and he is prolly half decent ...a bit like Lady Di or Snorkel...I think I was on anti bung jag at the time so any other bloke who bowls a bit looks the goods by comparison...

even worse I once thought Fuse was going to be a good test bat
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 01 Aug 2012, 11:11

Henry wrote:
Zat wrote:There's obviously not much to MJ. I mean it's not like anyone who knows anything about bowling would ever say anything good about him.

And you must regret posting this one. Although to be fair, Dennis Lillee must be regretting his predictions even more.
I might look a little silly, but DKL looks worse.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Wed 01 Aug 2012, 12:09

I don't think Lillee looks silly at all.

Johnson has amazing talent. At times he's been able to harness it, at other times he hasn't. Lillee spotted someone with amazing talent. It's always another question whether someone with amazing talent is going to be able to develop their game to the point where they're a consistent performer.

Lillee knows more than I do, because when I first saw Johnson I thought he was absolute gash and would never amount to anything. Well, he has amounted to something, even if that something was only fleeting.

Hass

How does Mitchell Johnson take wickets? MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 01 Aug 2012, 12:17

This thread is good old times. Good, good times.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 01 Aug 2012, 13:01

Hass wrote:I don't think Lillee looks silly at all.

Johnson has amazing talent. At times he's been able to harness it, at other times he hasn't. Lillee spotted someone with amazing talent. It's always another question whether someone with amazing talent is going to be able to develop their game to the point where they're a consistent performer.

Lillee knows more than I do, because when I first saw Johnson I thought he was absolute gash and would never amount to anything. Well, he has amounted to something, even if that something was only fleeting.

Amazing talent? Not really. Wasim Akram was an amazing talent, being able to swing the ball both ways at pace, at will. Johnson can barely swing it one way, and when he does, he doesn't know how he did it.

He's an athlete who bowls, rather than a bowler who's an athlete. His talent is being physically strong.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next