Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England IPL deal done - which players will be snapped up?

+13
horace
MidnightCowboy
Chivalry Augustus
eowyn
The One
PlanetPakistan
LeFromage
holcs
PeterCS
Henry
WIFAN
*Buckaroo*
JKLever
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

England IPL deal done - which players will be snapped up? Empty England IPL deal done - which players will be snapped up?

Post by JKLever Thu 22 Jan 2009, 17:22

Those in the test side are available now for 3 weeks instead of 2, and those not likely to be selected available for 4
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/7845340.stm

Kp & Fred are 2 definites.

I've heard Samit Patels name mentioned and also Graham Napier has said he is likely to play.

Don't think anyone elses Style really suits T20 so can't see too many more going. Broad perhaps? Sidebum?
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

England IPL deal done - which players will be snapped up? Empty Re: England IPL deal done - which players will be snapped up?

Post by *Buckaroo* Thu 22 Jan 2009, 17:23

this move will single-handedly raise the level of the English game. 👅
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

England IPL deal done - which players will be snapped up? Empty Re: England IPL deal done - which players will be snapped up?

Post by WIFAN Thu 22 Jan 2009, 17:24

JKLever wrote:Those in the test side are available now for 3 weeks instead of 2, and those not likely to be selected available for 4
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/7845340.stm

Kp & Fred are 2 definites.

I've heard Samit Patels name mentioned and also Graham Napier has said he is likely to play.

Don't think anyone elses Style really suits T20 so can't see too many more going. Broad perhaps? Sidebum?

After the way Broad was treated by Yuvraj, I'm not so sure Indian audiences will rate him particularly highly.

But we will see.
WIFAN
WIFAN

England IPL deal done - which players will be snapped up? 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2857
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 22 Jan 2009, 17:33

I reckon Owais Shah and Stuart Broad will attract a few bids. Collingwood may also attract attention.

I maintain that Shah is consistently the cleanest striker of a cricket ball in English cricket, when he wants to be. He can hit it as big as Fred and KP.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 22 Jan 2009, 17:35

WIFAN wrote:

After the way Broad was treated by Yuvraj, I'm not so sure Indian audiences will rate him particularly highly.

But we will see.

Yeah, perhaps. Though he does have an overall excellent ODI & T20 record
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 22 Jan 2009, 17:40

Mal Loye.

Mark my words.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 22 Jan 2009, 17:43

I broadly agree with Lever.

England does not have many world-class players in the full game at the moment - nothing new there - and fewer still bashers-and-crashers.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 22 Jan 2009, 17:44

Henry wrote:I reckon Owais Shah and Stuart Broad will attract a few bids. Collingwood may also attract attention.

I maintain that Shah is consistently the cleanest striker of a cricket ball in English cricket, when he wants to be. He can hit it as big as Fred and KP.

Shah, yeah you can see that. Colly is a funny one. Doesn't strike you as a big hitter but can plink it out the ground and is a decent all round package.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 22 Jan 2009, 17:49

So who are the bashers in English cricket?

Pietersen
Flintoff
Shah
Patel
Napier
Mascarenhas

Some wildcards who could attract attention- Dawid Malan, Tim Bresnan, Jon Clare, James Benning.

Ravi Bopara also said a few months back that he had been offered a "substantial amount" to play in the IPL.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Thu 22 Jan 2009, 17:52

I wouldn't be surprised if Blobby or Denly may be outside bets, perhaps even Swann?
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Thu 22 Jan 2009, 17:53

Shah - or someone on his behalf - was saying the other week that he'd been sounded out by a few franchises.

I suppose having a belting ODI series against India can't have worked against him.

The interesting thing is that he's not centrally contracted so, in theory, can commit to the IPL for longer than three weeks. But what happens if he breaks into the England Test side over the winter? They'll need him for the first Test of the summer, but he will have already signed a contract with the IPL that clashes with the dates.

Can he break the contract?

Could get messy...
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 22 Jan 2009, 17:54

Bopara has GOT to be a runner.

Exotic/home interest too, with his family origins. Just as Monty would be a huge draw ..... if he were any good at the crash-and-bash.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 22 Jan 2009, 17:54

Essex could well be without Napier & Bopara for the 1st month of the season.

FFS

Hope we get some compensation in amongst all the greenbacks
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 22 Jan 2009, 17:54

PeterCS wrote:Bopara has GOT to be a runner.

Very Happy
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 22 Jan 2009, 17:55

Same goes for Wais, obviously.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Thu 22 Jan 2009, 17:55

Dello wrote:Shah - or someone on his behalf - was saying the other week that he'd been sounded out by a few franchises.

I suppose having a belting ODI series against India can't have worked against him.

The interesting thing is that he's not centrally contracted so, in theory, can commit to the IPL for longer than three weeks. But what happens if he breaks into the England Test side over the winter? They'll need him for the first Test of the summer, but he will have already signed a contract with the IPL that clashes with the dates.

Could get messy...

He's on an incremental, and the lure of the Ashes I would expect be fairly great for Owais. The more he plays for England the more he earns!

I doubt he'll be daft enough to sign up for longer than the 3 weeks, if he's given a run in the Windies.
holcs
holcs

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 22 Jan 2009, 17:58

It'll be hella funny if Ian Bell doesn't attract a single offer.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Thu 22 Jan 2009, 18:00

Henry wrote:It'll be hella funny if Ian Bell doesn't attract a single offer.

Well, Ashwell Prince didn't get one originally, and he's got a better record!

If he does get one, then that franchise owner needs shooting!
holcs
holcs

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 22 Jan 2009, 18:00

I can't see Bell being wanted tbh, they go for the big hitters
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 22 Jan 2009, 18:00

Whens this sodding auction take place then?
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 22 Jan 2009, 18:01

Instead of the little (self-)shitters?

Sorry, that was uncalled-for.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 22 Jan 2009, 18:01

holcs wrote:
Henry wrote:It'll be hella funny if Ian Bell doesn't attract a single offer.

Well, Ashwell Prince didn't get one originally, and he's got a better record!

If he does get one, then that franchise owner needs shooting!

I've seen Ashwell slog a few big 'uns over mid wicket in his time. He's also gritty and street smart- Something that Bell most definetly isn't.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Thu 22 Jan 2009, 18:01

Early Feb I think. Last day for throwing your hat in, is 27th Jan!
holcs
holcs

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 22 Jan 2009, 18:02

PeterCS wrote:Instead of the little (self-)shitters?

Sorry, that was uncalled-for.

But fair...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Thu 22 Jan 2009, 18:02

holcs wrote:
Dello wrote:Shah - or someone on his behalf - was saying the other week that he'd been sounded out by a few franchises.

Could get messy...

He's on an incremental, and the lure of the Ashes I would expect be fairly great for Owais. The more he plays for England the more he earns!

I doubt he'll be daft enough to sign up for longer than the 3 weeks, if he's given a run in the Windies.

But that's the thing - he might well not get a run in the Windies. If that's the case, then it's fair to assume he doesn't have a Test future.

So he'll be trying to second guess which way its going to go, when it comes to negotiating his IPL contract (if indeed he's offered one).
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next