Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brit makes Round 4 - Scot bows out

+5
DJ_Smerk
OP Tipping
Zat
JKLever
horace
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Brit makes Round 4 - Scot bows out - Page 2 Empty Re: Brit makes Round 4 - Scot bows out

Post by horace Tue 27 Jan 2009, 04:02

lighter than my head
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Brit makes Round 4 - Scot bows out - Page 2 Empty Re: Brit makes Round 4 - Scot bows out

Post by OP Tipping Tue 27 Jan 2009, 04:02

Should be, it's full of Nembutal.
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

Brit makes Round 4 - Scot bows out - Page 2 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4680
Registration date : 2008-01-10
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 27 Jan 2009, 04:04

and decaying neurons
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 27 Jan 2009, 06:01

JKL from the Oz Open thread

"I see the Scottish tennis player lost. What a loser..."

now I understand why he was upset at the joke that started this thread...I had inadvertantly pinched his joke - sorry JKL
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Tue 27 Jan 2009, 06:17

Peace, glorious peace.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 27 Jan 2009, 11:01

skully wrote:
JKLever wrote:You really are a prick aren't you?
I'm sure it's been discussed, JKL, and I know you reside up Scotland way (I think), but isn't an Englishman supporting a Scot a bit like an Aussie supporting a Kiwi?

Absolutely no winding up intended here. I worked with a Scot and he hated the English with a passion!! Cool

Not really. I guess Aussies just don't 'get' the dual identity involved in living in a state of 4 states?
If he was playing for Scotland then it's different. But he isn't.... I have no trouble supporting a spaniard in the Ryder cup either as they're on my side.

Murray comes from my country, why shouldn't I support him? (In reality I don't really give a sh!t that much about tennis...) My Prime Minister (****** that he is) is a Scot.

As for your workmate, he's suffering from Braveheart syndrome. Got to remember that the population of England is 50m+ compared to 5m of Scotland so they do need to shout a bit to make their voice heard. And those that shout loudest are usually morons. Where I live they couldn't give a shit for the sassenachs, it's the lowlanders they despise....
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 27 Jan 2009, 11:08

Fair enough, JKL. Not criticising in any way, shape or form. Merely seeking some cultural advice. sherlock

Am I correct in understanding that you are an Englishman who is part-Scot that resides in Scotland? If so, are you a special case, or do you feel most Englishmen would happily barrack for a Scotsman?

And you are probably right about my former work colleague. Top bloke who loved his rugby and football but hated the English!! Cool
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105955
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 27 Jan 2009, 11:16

Just to finish off the image of my Scottish colleague, I recall his most favourite of all international sporting moments was Dennis Law sitting on the ball and thumbing his nose at Alan Ball in an England v Scotland International at Wembley in, I think, 1967.

Would love to see a pic of that. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 27 Jan 2009, 11:22

skully wrote:Fair enough, JKL. Not criticising in any way, shape or form. Merely seeking some cultural advice. sherlock

Am I correct in understanding that you are an Englishman who is part-Scot that resides in Scotland? If so, are you a special case, or do you feel most Englishmen would happily barrack for a Scotsman?

And you are probably right about my former work colleague. Top bloke who loved his rugby and football but hated the English!! Cool

I'm half Scottish, but more 'English' in outlook owing to the fact I was brought up in England till I was 19 - spent the last 16 years in Scotland. That's not that unusual really - most English people will have a bit of Scots,Irish or Taff in their family.

Yeah, most (4/5) would support him no problem at all. Look at Chris Hoy - won 3 medals and was voted as British sports personality of the year despite the fact the majority in the UK could have voted for Lewis Hamilton or the swimmer girlie who was English.

Mosts scots will support Lewis Hamilton for example but not England at football. That goes for the Welsh too and the reason is because of the domination of England in Britain due to population numbers.

There's got to be an Aussie state which always has a reputation as being a bit chippy!
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 27 Jan 2009, 11:24

skully wrote:Just to finish off the image of my Scottish colleague, I recall his most favourite of all international sporting moments was Dennis Law sitting on the ball and thumbing his nose at Alan Ball in an England v Scotland International at Wembley in, I think, 1967.

Ah yes, the day Scotland became world champions...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 27 Jan 2009, 12:14

Cheers for the clarification. Smile
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 27 Jan 2009, 12:19

My personal opinion is that, regardless of whether they hate us English or not, I'd rather see someone Scottish/Welsh/Nirish/Irish win something than someone from another country. However different we seem, there aren't any other nations closer in many terms.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Tue 27 Jan 2009, 14:08

Brass Monkey wrote:My personal opinion is that, regardless of whether they hate us English or not, I'd rather see someone Scottish/Welsh/Nirish/Irish win something than someone from another country. However different we seem, there aren't any other nations closer in many terms.

Finally some decent recognition. cheers
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 27 Jan 2009, 21:43

what about the french?..the pomgolians seem inextricably bound to their neighbours across the channel.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Tue 27 Jan 2009, 22:24

I like Garlic...does that mean I'm fond of Vampires?
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 27 Jan 2009, 22:27

actually there are 3 varieties of garlic that are native to Ireland...thought you guys favoured the leek...must say the Welsh are smart - the leek being a fine veggie
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Bad_Bob Wed 28 Jan 2009, 00:37

skully wrote:Just to finish off the image of my Scottish colleague, I recall his most favourite of all international sporting moments was Dennis Law sitting on the ball and thumbing his nose at Alan Ball in an England v Scotland International at Wembley in, I think, 1967.

The manager of Scotland that day is a family friend, still extremely fit and chipper as he careers headlong into his late 80's, and a more charming and modest chap one could not wish to meet.
Big_Bad_Bob
Big_Bad_Bob

Brit makes Round 4 - Scot bows out - Page 2 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3718
Registration date : 2007-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 28 Jan 2009, 09:24

My former colleague regaled me with many fine stories of his hero Dennis Law, over a beer or seven.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2