Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'No need for change' - Alastair Cook

+12
Eric Air Emu
Basil
holcs
LeFromage
Chivalry Augustus
beamer
PeterCS
DJ_Smerk
Kevin P is President
embee
Merlin
JKLever
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

'No need for change' - Alastair Cook Empty 'No need for change' - Alastair Cook

Post by JKLever Tue 10 Feb 2009, 13:35

"We cannot act too hastily. The players are ultimately responsible, we've got to take it on the chin," he said.

"We hope we can get a fresh start when we get to Antigua."

England have limited options when it comes to changing to their batting line-up, with only Owais Shah in reserve.

The current batting unit has come in for heavy criticism after it collapsed in Adelaide during the 2006-07 Ashes tour to hand Australia victory, and was dismissed for just 81 against Sri Lanka in Galle last winter, but Cook denies that England's batsmen are too comfortable.

"If you don't perform then you know what is going to happen," he said.

"If it happens again, then things have to change. But those are three isolated incidents over three years, so it is not as though it is happening every week."

Cook, unofficial vice-captain for the Caribbean Tests, insisted he had felt fairly confident at Sabina Park before the surprise collapse.

"We were just behind the eight ball after the first innings, with them having a lead of 70-odd, and I have never experienced that happening before," he said.

'If you don't perform then you know what is going to happen'........ yes Cookie. All the batsmen will play and we'll change the bowlers.

Head in sand stuff.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

'No need for change' - Alastair Cook Empty Re: 'No need for change' - Alastair Cook

Post by Merlin Tue 10 Feb 2009, 13:50

"We hope we can get a fresh start when we get to Antigua."

You said it Chef!

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

'No need for change' - Alastair Cook Empty Re: 'No need for change' - Alastair Cook

Post by embee Tue 10 Feb 2009, 14:24

He is correct in saying that the batting line up shouldn't be changed on three collapses over three years ...what he fails to understand is that it should be changed because of prolonged mediocrity over the same three years
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26198
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin P is President Tue 10 Feb 2009, 14:37

embee wrote:He is correct in saying that the batting line up shouldn't be changed on three collapses over three years ...what he fails to understand is that it should be changed because of prolonged mediocrity over the same three years

Couldn't have put it better myself. Why the hell is he our VC anyway? Seems they wanna go the route of mediocre deadpan captains who aren't going to rock the boat too much and force the ECB's hand(s) the way KP did. Think English cricket is going to be in for some very uninspiring cricket (like we haven't had that for the past 3 years anyway!) unless there is a major shake up at all levels.

Colly, Bell and Cook in an ideal world would and should all be dropped but who are we going to replace them with? By sticking with these players through thick and thin we leave our cupboard pretty bare where no-one else has any if a little test experience. Even Owais, who FWIW i believe should have played 20 odd tests by now. who else is there really? Bopara? Key? Moore? Patel? Really clutching for straws here! Just makes our batters (bar KP) open to complacency at the distinct lack of alternative's.

Kevin P is President

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 10 Feb 2009, 14:59

Why don't the ECB break protocol and use some of Stanford's $3.5 million and FLY 3 replacement batsman out to the Carribbean? Key, Bopara, Sales ... why the hell not?

If anything it might light a cracker up the a*ses of Bell, Colly and LeChef - failing which, USE one or all three of the newbies.

No harm in trying/experimenting .... we're sh!t as we are right now anyway.

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Tue 10 Feb 2009, 15:14

Personally, Alastair deserves to prove his worth in the rest of this series. However, this carp that England will fire back in the next test, is overhyped and they should keep their words short and sweet because chances are they'll be eating humble pie come the 17th, or worse even sooner.

England need to admit defeat and ensure closure before going forward.

There are no positives from the First Test that can warrant optimism in the England camp.

Apart from maybe Harmison losing his place in the side.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Feb 2009, 15:20

It's alright saying we got ourselves into this and we have to work our way out of it and take it on the chin. But at some point people need to be given the axe as a statement of intent, even more so when it's deemed there isn't any good cover or back up players. They need to get it in to their heads that they are not shoe-ins for every game and need to be working for their place.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 10 Feb 2009, 15:22

And Bell.
If that doesn't happen I think the sh!t will hit the fan big time - haven't see a single commentator, 'pundit' , rag-paper whatever that hasn't now called for his head. Let's hope Strauss at least listens.

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin P is President Tue 10 Feb 2009, 15:53

Merlin wrote:

And Bell.
If that doesn't happen I think the sh!t will hit the fan big time - haven't see a single commentator, 'pundit' , rag-paper whatever that hasn't now called for his head. Let's hope Strauss at least listens.

Thing is I could see Strauss giving him one last shot and Bell grinding out a 'pretty' 146* after KP scores a double ton or 2 other batsmen pass 100 and therefore solidifies and gaurantees his spot for the ashes at 3! suicide

Kevin P is President

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 10 Feb 2009, 16:50

Why was this newsworthy?

I have yet to see a turkey vote for Christmas.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Tue 10 Feb 2009, 17:48

He deserves to be dropped just for coming out with such comments really. If you don't want to agree with the fans and media calling for the heads of several players, just keep quiet and hope you're lucky enough to still be picked for the next match.

It's a shame this didn't happen in a home Test really, then the selectors really would have had the option of making 5 or 6 changes.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Tue 10 Feb 2009, 17:55

I think you're all wrong about Bell. Just look at the cricinfo homepage; Husseys, Pathans. Plural, my friends. We need "Bells!" Our Bell quota is insufficient is the problem. If we get them together they'll be like protons and electrons! We'll destroy all comers! The search for a second Bell is onnnnnnnnnnnn.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

'No need for change' - Alastair Cook Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 10 Feb 2009, 18:05

Of course Alastair Cook doesn't think anyone should be dropped.

His last year of Test cricket reads: 0 x 100 @ 33. Worst of the lot.

Why would he advocate change?

He might as well have said: "Please don't drop me, sir."
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Tue 10 Feb 2009, 20:07

Also heard MPV on talksport today. And he openly admitted that KP and Fred don't get on and that the players seem to buckle under pressure!

Now on one hand, its interesting, on the other it made him an even bigger Qunt in my eyes as he kept picking these people.

As for Cook, thats exactly it, same old clique mentaity, don't drop my friends or me or I'll cry type affair!!
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 10 Feb 2009, 20:21

holcs wrote:Also heard MPV on talksport today. And he openly admitted that KP and Fred don't get on and that the players seem to buckle under pressure!

Now on one hand, its interesting, on the other it made him an even bigger Qunt in my eyes as he kept picking these people.

As for Cook, thats exactly it, same old clique mentaity, don't drop my friends or me or I'll cry type affair!!

Don't you just love the ex-skipper's honesty ? All this maybe the truth but .......
Dumping on your ex team mates in public ... tipping out the can o' worms ... and f**k the rest of them!
Yep, let's rush him back into the squad, he deserves another run in the side.
Positive Qunt.

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 10 Feb 2009, 20:27

You don't have to get on to perform as a side though. Teddy Sheringham & Andy Cole loathed each other but won the treble for Man Utd in 99.

Interesting development though.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Feb 2009, 20:38

Whats Vaughan been doing this winter? Has played anywhere at all?

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Tue 10 Feb 2009, 20:47

JKLever wrote:You don't have to get on to perform as a side though. Teddy Sheringham & Andy Cole loathed each other but won the treble for Man Utd in 99.

Interesting development though.
I thought of that example myself. If they don't get on then they should have the sense to put it to one side when they get on the cricket field. They don't have to go drinking together, don't even need to speak to each other apart from about cricketing matters relating to the match in progress. But they must realise that they are the senior players, the only two world-class players, and their performances and influence on the younger players will make or break the next few years of English cricket.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Tue 10 Feb 2009, 20:47

He said he had no cricket this winter bar nets. He won't get any until Abu Dabi in 3 weeks.
holcs
holcs

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 10 Feb 2009, 20:48

Sans Souci wrote:Whats Vaughan been doing this winter? Has played anywhere at all?

He's sunning himself in his holiday home which,funnily enough, is in Barbados.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Tue 10 Feb 2009, 20:49

[This is Rachel]

Top use of a central contract.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 10 Feb 2009, 20:50

Basil wrote:
Sans Souci wrote:Whats Vaughan been doing this winter? Has played anywhere at all?

He's sunning himself in his holiday home which,funnily enough, is in Barbados.

Just in case, like... Very Happy
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Tue 10 Feb 2009, 20:51

Always was going to be.
holcs
holcs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Feb 2009, 20:55

So he's resting himself back into form and contention. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Tue 10 Feb 2009, 20:57

[This is still Rachel]

Best position to be in on current batting performances is out of the team and away from the dressing room troubles. MPV has positioned himself well. The Machiavellian bastard.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next