Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West Indies v England, 4th Test, Bridgetown - Feb 26-Mar 2

+36
Makaveli
skully
Yorkie Jill
kkf
doremi
freddled gruntbuggly
tac
The One
Paul Keating
taipan
doctorspin
Red
eowyn
Allan D
Lara Lara Laughs
Kevin P is President
Henry Nolonga
Invader Zim
OP Tipping
PlanetPakistan
Brass Monkey
Eric Air Emu
horace
holcs
Merlin
PeterCS
Big_Bad_Bob
WIFAN
Basil
DJ_Smerk
lardbucket
Henry
LeFromage
JKLever
beamer
Chivalry Augustus
40 posters

Page 3 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16 ... 30  Next

Go down

West Indies v England, 4th Test, Bridgetown - Feb 26-Mar 2 - Page 3 Empty Re: West Indies v England, 4th Test, Bridgetown - Feb 26-Mar 2

Post by PeterCS Tue 24 Feb 2009, 20:51

Might as well appoint Pete Tong as Moores' successor.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

West Indies v England, 4th Test, Bridgetown - Feb 26-Mar 2 - Page 3 Empty Re: West Indies v England, 4th Test, Bridgetown - Feb 26-Mar 2

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 25 Feb 2009, 12:31

**looks down, shakes head**

"batted well against the Kiwis".

Tosser. Up there with :

"bowled well against the Banglas".
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 25 Feb 2009, 12:52

Bring back Sammy.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Wed 25 Feb 2009, 19:14

Groan groan groan...........

Dyson backs Powell

Daren is an honest assessor of his own performance. He realises that it would be great for him to put some big performances on the board with the ball

So he knows he's carp, big deal. Is that a good enough reason to keep his place?

If you watch Daren work in the nets and if you watch him work around the whole scene, you realise that he is a very, very hard worker. At net sessions, a lot of the times, he is the best bowler.

I remember this being used as an excuse for Ian Bell's continued selection as well. It's just an awful excuse.

Sometimes in matches, he bowls balls that the batsmen aren't good enough to nick. Maybe he needs to bowl to better batsmen at times

Have we been watching the same matches as the coach?

We've had glimpses of that throughout other matches since then. I'm just waiting for the day where it all clicks for Daren and he walks away with a bag for five or more.

He's going to be waiting an awful long time then.
WIFAN
WIFAN

West Indies v England, 4th Test, Bridgetown - Feb 26-Mar 2 - Page 3 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2857
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Wed 25 Feb 2009, 19:31

WIFAN wrote:I just pray that Windies bring in Baker for Powell and Simmons for Devon Smith.

Yes he held on at the end of the last test etc, but he is in the team as the 3rd fast bowler and he was carp yet again. Baker has taken wickets in the last 2 FC matches he played. He is not fast and is nothing special, but anything is better than Powell and he can hold down the spot until Bravo comes back.
Evil or Very Mad
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Wed 25 Feb 2009, 19:37

[quote="PlanetPakistan"]
WIFAN wrote:I just pray that Windies bring in Baker for Powell and Simmons for Devon Smith.

Yes he held on at the end of the last test etc, but he is in the team as the 3rd fast bowler and he was carp yet again. Baker has taken wickets in the last 2 FC matches he played. He is not fast and is nothing special, but anything is better than Powell and he can hold down the spot until Bravo comes back.
Evil or Very Mad[/quote

If it were up to me Kemar Roach would have been plying from the first test of this series, no ball problems and all. But I am fed up with Powell and I would even select Baker ahead of him.
WIFAN
WIFAN

West Indies v England, 4th Test, Bridgetown - Feb 26-Mar 2 - Page 3 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2857
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Wed 25 Feb 2009, 19:38

"The reality is that the reasons we dropped Ian Bell haven't particularly changed," said Strauss.

"We feel that he needs to work on a few things and he needs to freshen up mentally.

"If he comes into the game then he wouldn't have had the opportunity to do that, or at least it would only have been a very short window to do that."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/7908230.stm

Like your thinking there, Andrew. Almost sound like someone who isn't an absolute idiot. Most un-English, you Saffie bastard.

You'll still be outvoted by Flower and whichever selector they've got out there now (it was Miller earlier on in the tour, but I heard mention of James Chocolate the other day, so who knows...?) and we'll be careering headlong down the Belly Highway once again, but kudos points to you, sir, for stating the obvious.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Wed 25 Feb 2009, 20:11

I'll be quite impressed with the captain/selectors if they stick to that. When a player is dropped for reasons of form they shouldn't be put immediately to the front of the queue to return when someone gets injured, it sends out the wrong message. Of course on occasions it can be unavoidable on tour because the playing resources are limited (and the original squad for this series was one if not two batting options too light IMO) but in this case a replacement has been called up and deserves his chance.

Still think we really need to gamble and play 5 bowlers though. Anyway, Jimmy's inevitable appearance as nightwatchman shortly after evening session drinks negates the problem of a weak number 6!

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Wed 25 Feb 2009, 22:27

With Willy Wonka out there, I'll be very impressed if Bell doesn't play.
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Feb 2009, 22:42

What a great day of Cricket ahead tomorrow on Sky Sports. Anyone off work or tempted to phone in sick!?

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Wed 25 Feb 2009, 22:43

holcs wrote:With Willy Wonka out there, I'll be very impressed if Bell doesn't play.

From an interview Gilo gave on the Beeb during the India tour, the (completely unsubstantiated) conclusion I drew - reading between the lines - was that Gilo was the nepotist, Miller the "let's not rock the boat... do I have to vote? Maybe I'll just hang back here in the background unless a deciding vote is required. That's what Gravy would do. See, I've got my WWGD wristband on...", while Whittaker was the "wildcard" who threw up random county players and brought the confectionery.

Andy Flower's supposed to be a Bell fan, Geoff Miller justified his inclusion for the first Test with the old "he's looking brilliant in the nets", so you'd have to assume he's a Malteser Balls fan - but Strauss has pretty much given Sherman the vote of no-confidence with his remarks, so it'd be a surprise if he played now.

Not that anything surprises me anymore.

BOO!

Nothing. Not a flinch.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Wed 25 Feb 2009, 22:54

Aye - can see those roles played out very well.

I would very much hope that Bopara plays ahead of Bell, as per Strauss' comments. Not that I believe Bopara should be there at all IMO, I'd have Key there really. But anyone instead of the NPB!

We're going 4 bowlers - assuming SiBo and Swann are fit, I would definitely go with:

Swann
Sibo
Broad
Anderson (for no more reason than at least he tries even when the cycle is stuck on carp!)
holcs
holcs

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Wed 25 Feb 2009, 23:02

holcs wrote:
We're going 4 bowlers - assuming SiBo and Swann are fit, I would definitely go with:

Swann
Sibo
Broad
Anderson (for no more reason than at least he tries even when the cycle is stuck on carp!)

Anderson FFS

As was said before, where is 20 wickets coming from with that lot?
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Wed 25 Feb 2009, 23:06

JK, even if you change it to Harmison, or Khan, same effect! We are not going to get 20 wickets!
holcs
holcs

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Wed 25 Feb 2009, 23:09

JKLever wrote:
holcs wrote:

Swann
Sibo
Broad

Anderson FFS

As was said before, where is 20 wickets coming from with that lot?

Two of them are crocked going into the game as well.

Doomed, we are.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Wed 25 Feb 2009, 23:11

Its fairly pony that I would rather pick a half fit SiBo than Harmi!!
holcs
holcs

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 25 Feb 2009, 23:18

Rashid to debut in the dead rubber IMO.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Bad_Bob Wed 25 Feb 2009, 23:46

Dello wrote:
"The reality is that the reasons we dropped Ian Bell haven't particularly changed," said Strauss.

"We feel that he needs to work on a few things and he needs to freshen up mentally.

"If he comes into the game then he wouldn't have had the opportunity to do that, or at least it would only have been a very short window to do that."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/7908230.stm

Like your thinking there, Andrew. Almost sound like someone who isn't an absolute idiot. Most un-English, you Saffie bastard.

You'll still be outvoted by Flower and whichever selector they've got out there now (it was Miller earlier on in the tour, but I heard mention of James Chocolate the other day, so who knows...?) and we'll be careering headlong down the Belly Highway once again, but kudos points to you, sir, for stating the obvious.

And moreover: -

Meanwhile, inconsistent paceman Steve Harmison's starting place is in doubt.

The 30-year-old, who is the most likely of England's bowlers to extract the extra bounce on offer in Barbados, has shaken off a back injury, but captain Andrew Strauss revealed he is not certain to play.

He said: "There are two ways of looking at Steve Harmison.

"One is that he is frustrating and you don't always get the same level of performance out of him, the other is that he is a bowler and bowlers rely on rhythm that doesn't come as easily as people think.

"Generally with Steve if he is bowling quick and with hostility then no batsman likes facing him.

"He knows what we want from him and I think he knows how to get there so it is up to him to put that work in."

Amjad Khan, who travelled with Bopara from New Zealand, is being considered as a replacement for Harmison.

Frankly, even more damning (and just as warranted) as his Bell verdict.

Oi loiks it.

Sock it to 'em, Johann. aces
Big_Bad_Bob
Big_Bad_Bob

West Indies v England, 4th Test, Bridgetown - Feb 26-Mar 2 - Page 3 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3718
Registration date : 2007-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 26 Feb 2009, 00:56

Can't have Sibo as part of a four-man attack with his fitness record, and I wouldn't pick Harmison on principle. So, it will have to be:

Broad
W@nkerson
Amjad Khan
Swann

Prior going home has really screwed things up. With him at six, we could have played five bowlers, with Rashid getting the nod over Monty.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 26 Feb 2009, 01:01

Look, to get a result, we need 20 wickets, right?

So here we go

Strauss
Ambrose
Kev
Bopara
Broad
Swann
Sibo
Rashid
Amjad
Jimmy
Harmi
Monty

And hope they don't notice we have 12 in the field. Monty can be excused batting duties.

The BBC thinks Bops will play BTW.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 26 Feb 2009, 01:07

english cricket can always be relied upon for humour...

must say tho that Strauss is looking like the first serious captain England has possessed for decades
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 26 Feb 2009, 01:11

horace wrote:english cricket can always be relied upon for humour...

We can't compete with Punter's captaincy.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 26 Feb 2009, 01:26

lol@bas...nice try....think yawn...think KP....think Fredalo...think bell...think harmi...think monty...think jammy..think colly...think athers/gooch et al...all are good for a very good chuckle
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 26 Feb 2009, 01:49

horace wrote:lol@bas...nice try....think yawn...think KP....think Fredalo...think bell...think harmi...think monty...think jammy..think colly...think athers/gooch et al...all are good for a very good chuckle

Punter wins hands down for the last day of the last test against India if for nothing else.

MPV shits all over Ponting as captain. Strauss will do so by the end of August. Look at this way, we'll be doing Aussie cricket a favour by winning the Ashes - no way will Punter survive that.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 26 Feb 2009, 02:08

Five big calls in one post. Is this a record?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16 ... 30  Next