Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miscellaneous Ashes prognoses and thoughts.

+20
DJ_Smerk
ten years after
tac
Henry
Zat
MidnightCowboy
Blackadder
horace
footwork
Merlin
Big_Bad_Bob
Winkle Spinner
freddled gruntbuggly
spangler
taipan
Bradman
Brass Monkey
JKLever
skully
PeterCS
24 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Miscellaneous Ashes prognoses and thoughts. Empty Miscellaneous Ashes prognoses and thoughts.

Post by PeterCS Thu 28 May 2009, 12:58

For example, a couple here:

1. Aussie plan: Pitch it up to Johann and hope he starts pecking, getting his knickers in a twist and nicking or missing it again. So obvious. Strauss had better practise his front-foot playing.

2. Similar targeting of Collingwood's technical weaknesses. I have no idea how Colly will fare. He is like a self-taught player. 0 or 100 is always possible.

3. It looks as if Anderson is now an established member of the team, barring injuries. Hence Aussie plan: hopefully still the most brittle of the Pom bowlers, ergo > go for him, thrash him out of the attack. Hughes is an attacker by nature, but he will probably be under team orders to execute a symbolic act at the start fo the series.

4. Prior to keep and I would guess, (only) slightly improve on Grunt 2005. For a cocky player, he is a confidence player after all.

5. Swann to do well with the ball. (Should perhaps be given the new ball again, vs Hughes?)

Many of the other aspects are unpredictable, I think. Such as Ponting. Aussie national hero or Drunky drongo?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Ashes prognoses and thoughts. Empty Re: Miscellaneous Ashes prognoses and thoughts.

Post by PeterCS Thu 28 May 2009, 12:59

Oh, and .... 90% of Aussie FBers to be bipolar-disordered, as always. Very Happy
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Ashes prognoses and thoughts. Empty Re: Miscellaneous Ashes prognoses and thoughts.

Post by skully Thu 28 May 2009, 13:01

1. Warnie bowling Strauss constantly pitching 2 feet outside off, hitting leg as he offers no shot.

2. Pidg bowling a metronomic line and length to all batsman, eventually driving them insane and making them throw away their wickets.

3. Gilly smoking everything aimed at him to and over the boundary.

4. Hayden saundering out, belting a lazy 150 and siddling off.

5. Ponting smashing 3 effortless tons.

6. Wake up from the best dream I've had in years.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105949
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 28 May 2009, 13:02

Wondering how Rav will go at 3, and how Broad & Anderson shape up against better batsmen.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 28 May 2009, 13:05

Wonder how Hughes will handle Anderson's 'swing' both ways. I don't think he'll fare well - he's a bit of a slasher, perfect for the one that nips away from him moreso than it seems it will.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 28 May 2009, 13:09

Hughes is my main worry. Apart from punter and Bung and Haddin and....well you get the picture.

But seriously Hughes could set the tone for the whole series.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 28 May 2009, 13:10

Brass Monkey wrote:Wonder how Hughes will handle Anderson's 'swing' both ways. I don't think he'll fare well - he's a bit of a slasher, perfect for the one that nips away from him moreso than it seems it will.

He looks farkin horrible from the little i've seen but you can't argue with a Fc average of 60+

And you are hoping that the Anderson Cycle has been broken...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 28 May 2009, 13:12

JKLever wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:Wonder how Hughes will handle Anderson's 'swing' both ways. I don't think he'll fare well - he's a bit of a slasher, perfect for the one that nips away from him moreso than it seems it will.

He looks farkin horrible from the little i've seen but you can't argue with a Fc average of 60+

And you are hoping that the Anderson Cycle has been broken...

TBF to Jim, he's bowled so much better than a whole year of stats suggest. I just haven't said it for fear of ridicule. He could've had 30 more wickets at this stage.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 28 May 2009, 13:15

Yup, as someone who has regularly stuck pins in Jimmykins dolls, his spell in the last test was bloody fantastic.

I guess he'll always be average away from home with the Kookabura balls but if he bowls anything like we should see a few Aussie batsmen groping like an old blind bloke chasing some skirt.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 28 May 2009, 13:16

How's the mint stocks, lads?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 28 May 2009, 13:18

skully wrote:How's the mint stocks, lads?

By the looks of our results since 2005, we have plenty of unused stock...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 28 May 2009, 13:19

JKLever wrote:groping like an old blind bloke chasing some skirt.

I can see you know the feeling.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 28 May 2009, 13:21

JKLever wrote:Yup, as someone who has regularly stuck pins in Jimmykins dolls, his spell in the last test was bloody fantastic.

I guess he'll always be average away from home with the Kookabura balls but if he bowls anything like we should see a few Aussie batsmen groping like an old blind bloke chasing some skirt.

Hmmm, yeah, but I think he bowled manfully in both WI and India on unresponsive pitches and if he'd had any back up he'd have probably helped break the back of both teams.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 28 May 2009, 13:22

taipan wrote:
JKLever wrote:groping like an old blind bloke chasing some skirt.

I can see you know the feeling.

Looking for a mate to share your hard luck stories Taips? Very Happy
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by spangler Thu 28 May 2009, 13:24

I think Ricky Ponting will make at least one glaring captaincy error.

You heard it here first.
spangler
spangler

Miscellaneous Ashes prognoses and thoughts. 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2554
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by freddled gruntbuggly Thu 28 May 2009, 13:36

Wondering how many byes and dropped catches Haddit will inflict upon us.
freddled gruntbuggly
freddled gruntbuggly

Miscellaneous Ashes prognoses and thoughts. 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2959
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 28 May 2009, 13:36

spangler wrote:I think Ricky Ponting will make at least one glaring captaincy error.

You heard it here first.
That's right up there with "the sun will rise in the East this morning", spang. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 28 May 2009, 13:37

freddled gruntbuggly wrote:Wondering how many byes and dropped catches Haddit will inflict upon us.
Numerous, I believe tails. Let's just hope none are series defining events.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 28 May 2009, 13:40

skully wrote:
freddled gruntbuggly wrote:Wondering how many byes and dropped catches Haddit will inflict upon us.
Numerous, I believe tails. Let's just hope none are series defining events.

At least we're playing fair and making it just about even on the wicket-keepers. I'm a Prior fan for the balance of the side, but if you haven't watched him much prepare to be appalled and think Haddin is world class...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 28 May 2009, 13:43

Let's face it: it's tough being a Test keeper today.

Intense concentration on every delivery for hours on end, every attempted catch or stop captured from 17 camera angles and shown a dozen times over, to be scrutinised to the nth degree by a legion of box and studio "experts".

Even Prior doesn't always look good.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Winkle Spinner Thu 28 May 2009, 14:01

Definitely a bit of Broad around the wicket to the Aussie openers. He troubled Chanders with that angle and Katich still probably wakes up in the middle of the night sweating because of That dismissal courtesy of Freddie.
Winkle Spinner
Winkle Spinner

Number of posts : 953
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 28 May 2009, 14:07

Regardless of the amount of cameras or exotic camera angles, if you catch it you catch it.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 28 May 2009, 14:50

But - joking apart - catching is more difficult in a 1984 goldfish bowl. Muscles are not as relaxed, for starters, intently knowing the consequences of failure.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Bad_Bob Thu 28 May 2009, 15:54

Prior to cost us competing on any level with several dropped catches.

The deluded will continue to scream that he brings 'balance' to the side.
Big_Bad_Bob
Big_Bad_Bob

Miscellaneous Ashes prognoses and thoughts. ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3718
Registration date : 2007-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 28 May 2009, 16:01

Big_Bad_Bob wrote:Prior to cost us competing on any level with several dropped catches.

The deluded will continue to scream that he brings 'balance' to the side.

No names Bob Very Happy
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next