Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ashes scenarios. Post your thoughts and fears.

+13
Nath
Blackadder
tac
skully
JKLever
Bradman
Henry
G.Wood
Zat
horace
JGK
embee
PeterCS
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ashes scenarios. Post your thoughts and fears. Empty Ashes scenarios. Post your thoughts and fears.

Post by PeterCS Tue 26 Oct 2010, 00:42

It's therapeutic, even cathartic.

ENGLAND BOWLING.

James ANDERSON. The "Anderson cycle" was always a misleading cliche'. A cycle has something like a predictable regularity about it. Whereas everyone knows that Jimmy is more a boxa chacklits. Generally hot when there is anything in the air, less redoubtable by far if there is nothing moving. (True of most bowlers to some extent, of course.) Always likely to go for a few in his first three overs, his fortunes and analyses diverge greatly after that point. Is a great worry if the Test pitches are as unremitting as expected, and weather conditions true. Always likely to take wickets, but if it's at 40 a throw ..... hmmmm.

Stuart BROAD. Can win a match, can still also be ineffectual. (The England attack lacks a nagger.) Has developed pace and aggression, which generally augurs well in Oz. Too much aggression (uncontrolled short bowling, or petulance) is a hazard with him, esp if things are already going pearshaped (again, true of many seamers to an extent). Is learning maturity by degrees, however. Unlikely to be a flop, might be a considerable success.

Graeme SWANN. The most chilling thought for Pom eyes is that he may be the main strike bowler, if - as is entirely possible - none of the seamers is gaining purchase in this or that innings. Is plucky and resourceful enough (or big-headed and clever enough) to do pretty well. This won't be enough if he is the sole spearhead. This is the point where you wonder at the wisdom of the four-bowler attack. I am inclined to think that if conditions are batting-friendly, there is hardly enough breadth for the chosen four to hunt with suficient variety in a pack.
Steven FINN. Hearty player with a calm head beyond his age and experience (having derived confidence from participation in a resilient, esp by England standards in the past 25 years successful team). Has the height and bounce to hurt. Unlikely to come apart at the seams, even if targeted. The problem is I am not sure if he is a matchwinner yet, more likely to participate substantially in a bowling attack if England do well, somewhat against the odds.

Paul COLLINGWOOD: Nobody's idea of a frontline bowler, not strong or fast or varied enough to allow a four'man attack in Oz, unless conditions are unusual.

And ...??

Kevin PIETERSEN. A relief or surprise bowler at best, you have to say.

Chris TREMLETT. Absent so long, an unknown quantity if he replaces one of the seamers above.

Monty PANESAR. As Tremlett, but perhaps even more of a long shot.

Tim BRESNAN. Strong heart and al ways persevering, but you have to think not fast or tricky enough in Oz to threaten enough, if conditions and teammates are not taking a hand.

PROGNOSIS>> Climate may be other than expected. Australian batting may subside (not inconceivable, given the current precariousness of the old "all-winning aura".)

Otherwise, if England are to win the Ashes, you have to say it is likely to be as a result of outscoring the hosts in high-scoring games. This seems somewhat unlikely to me.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Ashes scenarios. Post your thoughts and fears. Empty Re: Ashes scenarios. Post your thoughts and fears.

Post by embee Tue 26 Oct 2010, 00:56

Womens Weekly contacts Midge's mum again for an update on how he doesn't talk to her anymore

Zoo weekly does a Lara Bingle photo shoot and she reveals (what everyone has already seen thanks to Fev) and that she was Pup's beard and the meat in the Roy/Pup sandwich

Men's Health does a story on Oz's new ironman Shane Watson ...

Better Homes and Gardens does a feature on Dougie's Rug
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26187
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Ashes scenarios. Post your thoughts and fears. Empty Re: Ashes scenarios. Post your thoughts and fears.

Post by JGK Tue 26 Oct 2010, 01:00

Simon Katich breaks his thumb a month out from the first test.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 26 Oct 2010, 01:15

Four and Twenty Pies sponsors Haurie
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 26 Oct 2010, 01:16

JGK wrote:Simon Katich breaks his thumb a month out from the first test.

by poking 0 in the eye?

more like a dream come true
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 26 Oct 2010, 01:24

Click to see Horrie's dreams come true....

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 26 Oct 2010, 01:56

cripes...my respect for jgk woofing powers goes to stratospheric levels
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Tue 26 Oct 2010, 03:01

Can't have been much of a break if it happened BEFORE the Tests in India and was only discovered as a break upon his return.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Tue 26 Oct 2010, 03:02

Spivs are pretty tough though

look at Watto
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Tue 26 Oct 2010, 03:03

What's your point? Katich is a Wozzie, and Watto's still a Billy.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 26 Oct 2010, 03:08

horace wrote:cripes...my respect for jgk woofing powers goes to stratospheric levels

Yes, well obviously I knew about this before my post but I would say that my powers are in fine form in the F1. I backed Lewis for the title about 4 races ago and then after the last race backed Vettel. I didn't think to back Alonso. Might be too short now.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 26 Oct 2010, 03:09

Fears- Anderson will be completely innefective (though I wont be surprised), we'll suddenly be struck down with injuries (Swanny is due one), KP wont come good.

Hopes- Anderson can find some movement, Swann has a good series, Finn surprises the Aussies, Bell and Cook make runs, KP returns to form dramatically, the series is played in a good spirit. England win the f*cking ashes.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 26 Oct 2010, 03:14

so Trev...if the Aussies manage to win the series you will be among the first to graciously acknowledge the victory?
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 26 Oct 2010, 03:15

Yes.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 26 Oct 2010, 03:16

good for you
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 26 Oct 2010, 03:34

Well we might win a test. Though only if Ricky gets lucky with the bookies again.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sat 30 Oct 2010, 18:39

My big fear is yet another farquin drubbing. Listen up you pommie drongos spouting crap in the media, our record down under reads 1-0-9 in the last 2 series FFS

Hence my big hope is we just compete whatever the score. Nothing worse than seeing inevitable cricket like the MCG on our last tour.

Last edited by JKLever on Sat 30 Oct 2010, 20:28; edited 1 time in total
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 30 Oct 2010, 19:58

Indeed, realistically I just hope we compete. If the series is still live by the final test (Australia 1 up for example) then I will be extremely happy.

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 30 Oct 2010, 20:20

JKLever wrote:My big fear is yet another farquin drubbing. Listen up you pommie drongos spouting crap in the media, our record down reads 1-0-9 in the last 2 series FFS.
Ah, but you negect to point out that that these two tours were very much in the Warne Era, something we are now very much post of.

In 2002-3 our bowling was a bit scatter gun with everyone chipping in. Injuries to all bowlers meant that only Jason Gillespie played all 5 Tests. He took 20 wkts @ 24.60. McGrath (in 4) took 19 @ 20.00, Warne (3) took 14 @ 24.78, Bichel (3) took 10 @ 35.10, McGill (2) took 12 @ 40.50, and Lee (3) took 13 @ 41.23. For England only Caddick 20 wkts at 34.50 (10 of them in the dead rubber T5) and White 14 @ 38.00 got into double figures.

In 2006/07, it was a stellar bowling effort with McGrath, Clark, Lee and Warne all taking 20 or more wickets (the 1st time 4 bowlers managed 20 or more wickets each in a Test series).

This time around our weaponry looks very dodgy.

skully
skully

Number of posts : 105888
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sat 30 Oct 2010, 20:29

The pessimist in me says lets just avoid being total pants and take it from there!
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 30 Oct 2010, 20:59

I fear the very solid looking England top 7. And Broad and Swann could be the difference in the series.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105888
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sat 30 Oct 2010, 23:46

I also fear our duke ball bullies and the Kookaburra!
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 31 Oct 2010, 01:03

funny to see bradders on a thread that asks forummers to "post your thoughts" . .. but it explains Nigel's absence . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Sun 31 Oct 2010, 01:09

embee wrote:

Men's Health does a story on Oz's new ironman Shane Watson ...

....got that one right
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26187
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackadder Sun 31 Oct 2010, 01:31

KP to have a field day against a misfiring bowling attack riddled by injuries, and ends up averaging 50+ for the series.

Blackadder

Ashes scenarios. Post your thoughts and fears. ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3959
Registration date : 2008-12-27
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next