Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If England had enforced the follow-on....

5 posters

Go down

If England had enforced the follow-on.... Empty If England had enforced the follow-on....

Post by ever hopeful Sat 18 Jul 2009, 21:48

I've just checked the parallel universe where this indeed happened (I've got a tardis). Australia are 100 ahead with 6 wickets remaining. Looking slightly dodgy for England here. Better get back to where I belong (((((((((((((((( Phew! That's better! England are 521 ahead with two days to bowl 'em out. Think I'll stay in this universe, thanks. Good move, Strauss.
ever hopeful
ever hopeful

Number of posts : 922
Registration date : 2009-07-13
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

If England had enforced the follow-on.... Empty Re: If England had enforced the follow-on....

Post by LeFromage Sat 18 Jul 2009, 21:49

Seemed like the right move to me at the time (not enforcing the f/o), and I've not changed my mind.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

If England had enforced the follow-on.... Empty Re: If England had enforced the follow-on....

Post by Merlin Sat 18 Jul 2009, 21:55

Let's hope Botham sucks wind then ... heard that he and ChappellI were amongst only a handful who criticised Strausser for not enforcing the follow-on.

Was never going to happen - not under blue skies and on a flat track.

One worry - Why didn't Fred bowl this morning?

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by ever hopeful Sat 18 Jul 2009, 23:42

it was absolutely the right thing to do. Mind you, nearly all the TMS lot were against Strauss's decision. Not surprised Botham thinks they should have enforced it though, because every time a side follows on it means people start banging on about his heroics at Headingley in '81 again.
ever hopeful
ever hopeful

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Sun 19 Jul 2009, 00:03

For how shit a captain he was, Botham's got a nerve to be going on about this and that. Then again, his teams never got the chance to declare, did they? I'm sure if they had it would have been on the bloody dot. But I wish he would just STFU, or better still that Sky would swap him for Bob Willis who is simply a more intelligent individual.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

If England had enforced the follow-on.... Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 19 Jul 2009, 00:06

Beefy, aye. But why are we surprised? Every time he says a pitch is going to rag square and go up and down by the 4th day you know its tarmac.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ever hopeful Sun 19 Jul 2009, 00:25

Botham's biography; Volume 3, His Latter Playing Years, and I quote:

"England were already in trouble against (insert any team) at (insert any ground) when Beefy strode up to the crease. After biding his time for all of three balls, (insert any bowler) sent down a bouncer which Botham duly hooked to the man on the boundary. Half an hour later it was all over, but miraculously he was still picked for the next test at (insert any ground) where the exact same thing happened again. Surprisingly, the selectors stuck with him, but..." etc. etc. etc.
ever hopeful
ever hopeful

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jul 2009, 00:25

Yeah, Beefy does have a habit of getting everything wrong. Bodes well for this test really!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down