Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Koertzen's century nothing to celebrate!

+16
Bradman
G.Wood
Henry
embee
WIFAN
WideWally
Blackadder
PeterCS
Hass
Merlin
skully
Shoeshine
JKLever
JGK
taipan
Red
20 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Koertzen's century nothing to celebrate! - Page 7 Empty Re: Koertzen's century nothing to celebrate!

Post by Shoeshine Fri 24 Jul 2009, 11:50

League Saturdays, friendlies Sundays.

Shoeshine

Koertzen's century nothing to celebrate! - Page 7 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Koertzen's century nothing to celebrate! - Page 7 Empty Re: Koertzen's century nothing to celebrate!

Post by Zat Fri 24 Jul 2009, 11:52

Bradman wrote:Discretion is definately the better part of valour.
And sometimes cowardice is the better part of discretion.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Fri 24 Jul 2009, 11:55

Years ago, I was playing against an Australian touring team, and they were far better than the motley group we put out. Anyway, they had a first class bowler on show, and their skipper suggested that he bowl full to my batting partner as he wouldn't be able to cope with anything short. His response "Awww yeah mate, no problems - but I'm not pitching it up to the other bloke, he can bat a bit" made me proud and terrified at the same time. Laughing

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Fri 24 Jul 2009, 12:08

Shoeshine wrote:League Saturdays, friendlies Sundays.

My first and only serious coach, a school chaplain, always said the only friendly thing about cricket were the ladies who provided the tea, and then only if you were winning.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 24 Jul 2009, 13:22

Shoeshine wrote:Years ago, I was playing against an Australian touring team, and they were far better than the motley group we put out. Anyway, they had a first class bowler on show, and their skipper suggested that he bowl full to my batting partner as he wouldn't be able to cope with anything short. His response "Awww yeah mate, no problems - but I'm not pitching it up to the other bloke, he can bat a bit" made me proud and terrified at the same time. Laughing

So, you are county player Shoeshine? Wink
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Fri 24 Jul 2009, 15:24

Bradman wrote:I like Crash, but that's mainly due to his stance during the superleague war (and I only experienced that uproar third hand). I (as every Qlder should) hate Ray Hadley's guts but will always have a soft spot for him over the gun control stuff, despite his Superleague carry-on.

Matter of varying perspective I suppose.

You're not a Super League supporter are you?

I don't remember Craddock's stance at the time, but I do remember Hadley being vehmently against it.

Ray Hadley is a rude, egotistical, self-absorbed wanker. There's not much to like about him except his calling of the game itself (he's still the best radio caller in the land). But at least he was on the right side during the war.

Hass

Koertzen's century nothing to celebrate! - Page 7 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Fri 24 Jul 2009, 20:15

JKLever wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:Years ago, I was playing against an Australian touring team, and they were far better than the motley group we put out. Anyway, they had a first class bowler on show, and their skipper suggested that he bowl full to my batting partner as he wouldn't be able to cope with anything short. His response "Awww yeah mate, no problems - but I'm not pitching it up to the other bloke, he can bat a bit" made me proud and terrified at the same time. Laughing

So, you are county player Shoeshine? Wink

Ah, if only. Got as far as some of the youth representative teams, then my march to the England Test team was cut short on utterly unreasonable and spurious grounds.*

*Not remotely good enough so they said, the blind bastards. Mad

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Fri 24 Jul 2009, 20:20

Blimey, d'you mean you're even worse than Gashley Piles?
Jeez, you really must be a crock of poo ! Wink

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Fri 24 Jul 2009, 20:28

How dare you. I am a batsman and a wicketkeeper. Therefore I am clearly a marginally better bowler than he is, you cheeky young pup.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by filosofee Fri 24 Jul 2009, 20:28

Shoeshine wrote:In tennis, Hawkeye shows what happened, it doesn't predict what might happen. Even there, there are question marks over its accuracy.

True, SS, but don't forget, technologies generally improve.

Hawkeye may not be able to apply 'rule of thumb', 'best guess' or 'human experience' strategies that umpires do, to predict what is likely to happen next, to a sound, whether it is that of a bat nicked rather than a boot hit, or the impression that a ball was caught before it hit the ground, but the system will be able to simulate decisions with possibly better accuracy than a human.

After all, unmanned drones are used to target terrorists, in terror hotspots in the world, with civilian targets accepted as collateral damage. So, what's a machine-poor decision in cricket compared with a human umpire-bad one!
filosofee
filosofee

Number of posts : 1712
Registration date : 2007-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 29 Jul 2009, 03:41

This is as good a place as any to put this.

From Dizzy's cricinfo column

I can't go without commenting on Rudi Koertzen's view that it's cheating if a batsman waits for the umpire to make a decision when they know they've nicked the ball. I was not a walker, but I didn't feel like a cheat. Like my Dad and my coaches told me, always respect the umpire's decision - good or bad. Sometimes I got lucky, sometimes I got howlers, with the bat and ball. I just got on with it.

In the so-called Spirit of Cricket and in the rules of the game it clearly states that the umpires are in charge and players must respect their decision. Therefore, why is a player a cheat if he waits for their judgment?
Indeed. And that's a bowler talking.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 29 Jul 2009, 05:31

Well said, Diz.

Rudi was clearly just done snorting when he made that statement. And will probably regret saying it (if he hasn't already).
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Wed 29 Jul 2009, 05:33

Zat wrote:This is as good a place as any to put this.

From Dizzy's cricinfo column

I can't go without commenting on Rudi Koertzen's view that it's cheating if a batsman waits for the umpire to make a decision when they know they've nicked the ball. I was not a walker, but I didn't feel like a cheat. Like my Dad and my coaches told me, always respect the umpire's decision - good or bad. Sometimes I got lucky, sometimes I got howlers, with the bat and ball. I just got on with it.

In the so-called Spirit of Cricket and in the rules of the game it clearly states that the umpires are in charge and players must respect their decision. Therefore, why is a player a cheat if he waits for their judgment?
Indeed. And that's a bowler talking.

he ended his career as a batsman
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 29 Jul 2009, 05:38

Cheaping the art of batting,IIRC.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 29 Jul 2009, 07:50

No, that was the Bangers.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Wed 29 Jul 2009, 07:51

Good times
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Wed 29 Jul 2009, 09:54

Trouble is, the players want it all ways. The want to stand there if they've nicked it, and wait for the umpire's decision, but they also want to shake their heads and make it absolutely clear it's a terrible decision if they've been given out wrongly (and often even if they've been correctly given out).

And I would say that is cheating.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 29 Jul 2009, 09:57

Aye SS. Standing and looking galled is not on. But they all do it, unfortch.

I can live with a moment of shocked look, but to stand then slowly walk off shaking one head is not on.

Last edited by skully on Wed 29 Jul 2009, 10:06; edited 1 time in total
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 29 Jul 2009, 10:01

Batsmen are a pimple on the arse of the game. They've been given every break possible short of automatic weapons and still they bitch.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Wed 29 Jul 2009, 10:05

Automatic weapons sounds good. Is that planned?

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 29 Jul 2009, 10:06

Bradman wrote:Batsmen are a pimple on the arse of the game. They've been given every break possible short of automatic weapons and still they bitch.
Tubby used to turn on his heel and go without a 2nd look, qmy. Fine spirited chap. Wink
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 29 Jul 2009, 10:27

Given his batting skulls he probably knew there wasn't too much point bitching.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 29 Jul 2009, 10:29

Shoeshine wrote:Automatic weapons sounds good. Is that planned?

If I had my way it would be, if they were given to the bowlers. Seeing as that is about the only way you can get a batsman out short of prostituting the laws.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 29 Jul 2009, 11:00

Shoeshine wrote:Trouble is, the players want it all ways. The want to stand there if they've nicked it, and wait for the umpire's decision, but they also want to shake their heads and make it absolutely clear it's a terrible decision if they've been given out wrongly (and often even if they've been correctly given out).

As is waving a ball contemptously under an Umpire's nose whilst harangueing him unnecessarily for a "catch".

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Wed 29 Jul 2009, 11:10

Merlin wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:Trouble is, the players want it all ways. The want to stand there if they've nicked it, and wait for the umpire's decision, but they also want to shake their heads and make it absolutely clear it's a terrible decision if they've been given out wrongly (and often even if they've been correctly given out).

As is waving a ball contemptously under an Umpire's nose whilst harangueing him unnecessarily for a "catch".

Of course. It's all very well for players to moan about incorrect decisions, but the truth is the players all cheat, just as Koertzen said. They rely on the "umpire's decision" defence some of the time, yet refuse to accept that decision if they feel it is wrong and show clear dissent.

If you don't walk you've no right whatsoever to moan when the umpires fires you out wrongly. And if you happily take a wicket when the umpire makes a mistake you've no right to moan when he fails to spot an edge. The players cheat, and then load all the responsibility on the umpire.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7