Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Self righteous characters have generally been

+17
Eric Air Emu
mynah
prasad14
doremi
HH_pink
Fred Nerk
embee
noelene
Basil
Lara Lara Laughs
tac
LeFromage
JKLever
filosofee
Makaveli
Winkle Spinner
Josh Carney
21 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Your top choice for the one person who is/was responsible for most human misery

Self righteous characters have generally been - Page 3 Vote_lcap29%Self righteous characters have generally been - Page 3 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 5 ]
Self righteous characters have generally been - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%Self righteous characters have generally been - Page 3 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Self righteous characters have generally been - Page 3 Vote_lcap12%Self righteous characters have generally been - Page 3 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 2 ]
Self righteous characters have generally been - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%Self righteous characters have generally been - Page 3 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Self righteous characters have generally been - Page 3 Vote_lcap59%Self righteous characters have generally been - Page 3 Vote_rcap 59% 
[ 10 ]

Total Votes : 17

Self righteous characters have generally been - Page 3 Empty Re: Self righteous characters have generally been

Post by Josh Carney Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:07 am

mynah wrote:
Ironically those who start off as purely self-serving bastards often inflict the least harm because others hate them enough to overthrow them sooner.
Sage words

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Self righteous characters have generally been - Page 3 Empty Re: Self righteous characters have generally been

Post by doremi Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:09 am

I don't think the Bible, Torah, Guru Granth Sahib, the many hindu holy scriptures, are any different. All of them try and pass themselves as the ultimate truth. It differs on how they are interpreted.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:16 am

doremi wrote:I don't think the Bible, Torah, Guru Granth Sahib, the many hindu holy scriptures, are any different. All of them try and pass themselves as the ultimate truth. It differs on how they are interpreted.
Difference is that it is a very very small minority from those faiths who actually subscribe to those beliefs in stark contrast to Islam. One of the issues here is that Islam is still a new religion in comparison to say Christianity meaning that Islam may need to go through all the turmoil and blood shed that Christians went through before some balance is restored.

Josh Carney

Back to top Go down

Post by Winkle Spinner Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:23 am

Josh Carney wrote:
doremi wrote:I don't think the Bible, Torah, Guru Granth Sahib, the many hindu holy scriptures, are any different. All of them try and pass themselves as the ultimate truth. It differs on how they are interpreted.
Difference is that it is a very very small minority from those faiths who actually subscribe to those beliefs in stark contrast to Islam. One of the issues here is that Islam is still a new religion in comparison to say Christianity meaning that Islam may need to go through all the turmoil and blood shed that Christians went through before some balance is restored.

Good point. When Christianity was at the same stage of development as Islam is now, christendom organised a series of tremendously bloody crusades far worse than any terrorist attack that the western world of today has suffered. The modern world, thankfully, seems to be curbing these worst excesses of zealous fundamentalism.
Winkle Spinner
Winkle Spinner

Number of posts : 953
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:29 am

Josh Carney wrote:No, I am not going to give any links. I have done my research and this is how I see it. When Mohammad originally came up with Islam during his Mecca days he had no more than a handful of people ready to subscribe to his religion. He was mostly subject to ridicule. During these days he passively tried to preach Islam. It basically did not work.

Then he came up with the new carrot and stick strategy during the Medina period. He decided that preaching alone will not get people to listen to him. So he promised riches to people if they followed him. This was the carrot and thus started the sequence of robbing caravans. The booty was shared and the siezed people were forecully converted, this continued for a while and then the ante stepped up. There were invasions and the carrot at the end of it was the enslaving of the captured men and the booty of their riches and their women. Passages were included to justify this including the branding of "Kafirs" and the corporal punishments that they would incur. Also passages were included to deter people from leaving Islam once they were in. So began the control for people and their minds and the saga continues today on the back of the continuous precedence that exists right through the Islamic history as a justification. Thus what might have began as a peaceful religion was transformed into what we see today.

On your comparison to Jesus, Bible etc. yes there have been various attrocities committed in the name of other religions as well. However what the difference is that the vast majority of so even called christians do not see the Bible as the ultimate word and in the Western Christian world they have separated state from the religion. To me that is the difference.

Again nothing personal against you or Islam to me all organised religions are evil. I believe in being spritual to a set of human values and am OK with religion as long as it is personal and not imposed upon others.

I don't know where you got this info from, have you read the Quran? There have been many debates about that story (carrot) and there are as many who believe it to be total lies and others who believe it was true, as a Muslim there was no mention of it in the Quran so i did not happen.

End of the day religion is not the problem, if everyone followed the main principles of all the religions we would have less problems, unfortunately it takes the actions of a few to stain a whole group.
Makaveli
Makaveli

Number of posts : 1498

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:32 am

I'm happy to let anyone believe what they want to, as long as they return the courtesy. I have a serious problem with religions and philosophies that want to police your mind and persecute those who choose to think for themselves.
mynah
mynah

Self righteous characters have generally been - Page 3 APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3385
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:34 am

mynah wrote:I'm happy to let anyone believe what they want to, as long as they return the courtesy. I have a serious problem with religions and philosophies that want to police your mind and persecute those who choose to think for themselves.

For some individuals religion helps people a lot, it can be used as a guide, it all depends on the person.

I see no problem if you wish to believe in god or not, thats entirely up to you, aslong as it works for you keep it up.
Makaveli
Makaveli

Number of posts : 1498

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:39 am

doremi wrote:Himesh Reshammiya would also be a worthy candidate.
LOL. Good nomination. No lives claimed, but he is one uptight self righteous character. The kind who makes you cringe watching him on shows like Sa Re Ga Ma Pa. I can only imagine the plight of the Co judges.

Josh Carney

Back to top Go down

Self righteous characters have generally been - Page 3 Empty Found this on another site.

Post by Josh Carney Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:00 pm

(Possibly) The Twenty (or so) Worst Things People Have Done to Each Other:

Rank
Death Toll
Cause
Centuries

55 million
Second World War
20C

40 million
Mao Zedong (mostly famine)
20C

40 million
Mongol Conquests
13C

36 million
An Lushan Revolt
8C

25 million
Fall of the Ming Dynasty
17C

20 million
Taiping Rebellion
19C

20 million
Annihilation of the American Indians
15C-19C

20 million
Iosif Stalin
20C

19 million
Mideast Slave Trade
7C-19C

18 million
Atlantic Slave Trade
15C-19C

17 million
Timur Lenk
14C-15C

17 million
British India (mostly famine)
19C

15 million
First World War
20C

9 million
Russian Civil War
20C

8 million
Fall of Rome
3C-5C

8 million
Congo Free State
19C-20C

7 million
Thirty Years War
17C

5 million
Russia's Time of Troubles
16C-17C

4 million
Napoleonic Wars
19C

3 million
Chinese Civil War
20C

3 million
French Wars of Religion
16C

Josh Carney

Back to top Go down

Self righteous characters have generally been - Page 3 Empty The Crusade toll estimates

Post by Josh Carney Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:05 pm

<LI>

1. Crusades (1095-1291)
  2. Estimated totals:

• Wertham: 1,000,000
    • Charles Mackay, Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841): 2,000,000 Europeans killed. [http://www.bootlegbooks.com/NonFiction/Mackay/PopDelusions/chap09.html]
    • Aletheia, The Rationalist's Manual: 5,000,000
    </LI>

• Individual Events:

• Davies: Crusaders killed up to 8,000 Jews in Rhineland
    • Paul Johnson A History of the Jews (1987): 1,000 Jewish women in Rhineland comm. suicide to avoid the mob, 1096.
    • Gibbon, Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, v.5, 6

• 1st Crusade: 300,000 Eur. k at Battle of Nice [Nicea].
      • Crusaders vs. Solimon of Roum: 4,000 Christians, 3,000 Moslems
      • 1098, Fall of Antioch: 100,000 Moslems massacred.
      • 50,000 Pilgrims died of disease.
      • 1099, Fall of Jerusalem: 70,000 Moslems massacred.
      • Siege of Tiberias: 30,000 Christians k.
      • Siege of Tyre: 1,000 Turks
      • Richard the Lionhearted executes 3,000 Moslem POWs.
      • 1291: 100,000 Christians k after fall of Acre.
      • Fall of Christian Antioch: 17,000 massacred.
      • [TOTAL: 677,000 listed in these episodes here.]

• Catholic Encyclopedia (1910) [http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/]

• Jaffa: 20,000 Christians massacred, 1197

• Sorokin estimates that French, English & Imperial German Crusaders lost a total of 3,600 in battle.

• 1st C (1096-99): 400
      • 2nd C (1147-49): 750
      • 3rd C (1189-91): 930
      • 4th C (1202-04): 120
      • 5th C (1228-29): 600
      • 7th C (1248-54): 700

• James Trager, The People's Chronology (1992)

• 1099: Crusaders slaughter 40,000 inhabs of Jerusalem. Dis/starv reduced Crusaders from 300,000 to 60,000.
      • 1147: 2nd Crusades begins with 500,000. "Most" lost to starv./disease/battle.
      • 1190: 500 Jews massacred in York.
      • 1192: 3rd Crusade reduced from 100,000 to 5,000 through famine, plagues and desertions in campaign vs Antioch.
      • 1212: Children's Crusade loses some 50,000.
      • [TOTAL: Just in these incidents, it appears the Europeans lost around 650,000.]
      </LI>
    </LI>

• TOTAL: When I (author) take all the individual death tolls listed here, weed out the duplicates, fill in the blanks, apply Occam ("Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate"), etc. I get a very rough total of 1½ M deaths in the Crusades.
</LI>

Josh Carney

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:17 pm

I voted for the pedophile
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:39 pm

Is this a reference to Ayesha ? To be fair in those days once a girl reached puberty she was perhaps considered ready for family (?) life.

Josh Carney

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:41 pm

I could be referring to the secret lives of any one of the above
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:52 pm

Is there any substance behind your innuendo or are you just casting baits ?

Josh Carney

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:53 pm

bit of both.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:27 pm

Why isn't David Graveney on the list?

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38099
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:17 am

Or Dunc'a'Funk? Or Ian (both chaps).
HH_pink
HH_pink

Self righteous characters have generally been - Page 3 APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3353

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:49 am

Hitler (murdered maybe 13,000,000 people, and kicked off the most terrible war in history).

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:10 am

Rob I wrote:Hitler (murdered maybe 13,000,000 people, and kicked off the most terrible war in history).

Phurt . . . Stalin killed as many in the Ukraine alone, whereas the Japanese (with a bit of help) managed to knock off about 55 million Chinese in the 30s and 40s . . . still give my vote to Mao.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:23 am

RobI only cares about Europeans.
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:46 am

i would say the poll should also include Csars, Chaing Ki Chek (sp?) and various chinese emperors who starved Mills to death, various popes and other religiuos crackpots whose opposition to contraception has caused the deaths of millions, cromwell, leaders of the pomgolian, dutch, spanish and portuguese colonialist empires
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:50 am

self righteous cricketers - magoo, the don, tubby, botham, atherton, lara, ganguly, fat arjuna, imran, hansie, mumu
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:56 pm

Ian Chappell.

Josh Carney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3