Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ever completely changed your mind about a player?

+22
Josh Carney
doremi
smo
embee
Henry
PeterCS
kkf
JGK
furriner
Zat
skully
tac
Fred Nerk
Gary 111
Batman
Basil
JKLever
LeFromage
The One
Shoeshine
PlanetPakistan
beamer
26 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Ever completely changed your mind about a player? Empty Ever completely changed your mind about a player?

Post by beamer Sat 09 Jan 2010, 20:01

A follow-on from the recent discussions about Ian Bell really. Has anyone ever changed their mind about a player (from the team you support or otherwise) who you thought at one point was a total waste of space, and wondered how much they were paying the selectors to keep picking them, but then they turned it round and became a star performer, or at least a decent well-respected member of the team?

I'm struggling to think of any obvious examples from cricket. Particularly with England, most of those we all thought were muppets proved us right and the selectors eventually saw the error of their ways, even if after several years of undeserved recalls!

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Ever completely changed your mind about a player? Empty Re: Ever completely changed your mind about a player?

Post by PlanetPakistan Sat 09 Jan 2010, 20:04

Hashim Amla
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Ever completely changed your mind about a player? Empty Re: Ever completely changed your mind about a player?

Post by Shoeshine Sat 09 Jan 2010, 20:07

That's a good call.

I'm struggling to think of one for England.

Shoeshine

Ever completely changed your mind about a player? Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Sat 09 Jan 2010, 20:09

gautam gambhir

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 09 Jan 2010, 20:14

I never thought Collingwood would make the grade. Admired his grit and attitude, but didn't think it would be enough in the long term.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sat 09 Jan 2010, 20:15

Andrew Strauss. Didn't look a test player for any money....
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 09 Jan 2010, 20:19

As a county player he looked pretty ordinary for a good few years, but then something clicked with him and he became a run machine. Turned up in England's ODI side and looked perfectly at home in international cricket.

I was always pretty confident Strauss would go all right - didn't think he'd score a hundred (should have been two hundreds - Nasser!) on debut, mind...
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Sat 09 Jan 2010, 20:23

Dello wrote:I never thought Collingwood would make the grade. Admired his grit and attitude, but didn't think it would be enough in the long term.

Yes, that's a fair comment I think.

Another one in the early days who I wondered whether he would make it is Alec Stewart, who seemed to be in the side because his Dad was coach to begin with.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sat 09 Jan 2010, 20:25

These seem more of the "not sure he's quite good enough" than the "get this ****ing idiot out of our team" category though... although I know a few were quite strongly anti-Collingwood, probably still are when he hits a run of poor form!

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sat 09 Jan 2010, 20:26

Darren Pattinson. Oh wait........
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 09 Jan 2010, 20:28

beamer wrote:"get this ****ing idiot out of our team"

If BBB was here, Matty Prior would get his vote.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sat 09 Jan 2010, 20:31

beamer wrote:These seem more of the "not sure he's quite good enough" than the "get this ****ing idiot out of our team" category though... although I know a few were quite strongly anti-Collingwood, probably still are when he hits a run of poor form!

Yep, hands up!
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sat 09 Jan 2010, 20:32

Dello wrote:
beamer wrote:"get this ****ing idiot out of our team"

If BBB was here, Matty Prior would get his vote.
Yeah, wonder if he's had a major change of opinion? Prior's keeping has definitely improved beyond all recognition, which some said would never happen, although you still wonder whether it's going to be at the expense of his batting and his career will go the same way as that of Geraint Jones.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sat 09 Jan 2010, 20:34

Prior doesn't do the backs against the wall stuff very well, but he's handy if you want someone to bully a side when you're 400/4.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 09 Jan 2010, 20:39

Basil wrote:Prior doesn't do the backs against the wall stuff very well, but he's handy if you want someone to bully a side when you're 400/4.

To an extent, that seems true.

But the last game only adds to the confusion as he top-scored with 70-odd in the first innings collapse, before folding like a cheap suit during the second innings collapse.

I think his problem is he's too loose and one-dimensional. He wants to get his bully on all the time, when sometimes you have to graft a little to earn the right.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Sat 09 Jan 2010, 20:48

Thought Yuvraj would be at least as good as ganguly in tests initially. Thought Gambhir would end up being another FTB after an uninspiring career start. Both turned it around the head. Yuvi for the worst and Gambir for the best.....
Batman
Batman

Number of posts : 8881
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Sat 09 Jan 2010, 21:09

Andrew Flintoff.

He looked so hopelessly out of his depth in his debut series, cumbersome as a batsman and didn't think his medium pace dobbers would ever threaten quality batsmen. Was opposed to him being selected for the 1999 World Cup ahead of the likes of Craig White and Matthew Fleming.

It took about 3 years for me to see a Test Match player inside him - that tour of India when he had shed the pounds and was suddenly an aggressive fast bowler. The confidence gained from his bowling allowed his batting to blossom. Had no idea he would become the talisman that he eventually did.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sat 09 Jan 2010, 21:13

Oh yeah, I was always hopeful of his potential in the early days but remember the moment when I thought it was time to forget about him. When he got a pair against India in 2002, after being our last hope of saving a particular Test, I have to admit I thought he was just the latest in a long line of English all-rounders who couldn't contribute anything meaningful with bat or ball and it was time to move on... wasn't long after that when he really started to make an impact on Test cricket.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Sat 09 Jan 2010, 21:17

Dello wrote:
Basil wrote:Prior doesn't do the backs against the wall stuff very well, but he's handy if you want someone to bully a side when you're 400/4.

To an extent, that seems true.

But the last game only adds to the confusion as he top-scored with 70-odd in the first innings collapse, before folding like a cheap suit during the second innings collapse.

I think his problem is he's too loose and one-dimensional. He wants to get his bully on all the time, when sometimes you have to graft a little to earn the right.

Well, at Headingley first dig he was the reason we got as many as we did, as all around him fell apart.

Geraint Jones suffered from everyone constantly telling him how shit he was, and funnily enough his confidence took a hit.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Sat 09 Jan 2010, 21:17

beamer wrote:Oh yeah, I was always hopeful of his potential in the early days but remember the moment when I thought it was time to forget about him. When he got a pair against India in 2002, after being our last hope of saving a particular Test, I have to admit I thought he was just the latest in a long line of English all-rounders who couldn't contribute anything meaningful with bat or ball and it was time to move on... wasn't long after that when he really started to make an impact on Test cricket.

By 2002 I was sure of his quality - that match at Headingley was the result of the selectors picking him with an injury.

But the fat lad who played in 1998 against South Africa was a million miles away from a Test cricketer.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sat 09 Jan 2010, 21:26

Shoeshine wrote:Geraint Jones suffered from everyone constantly telling him how shit he was, and funnily enough his confidence took a hit.
Not sure about that - his keeping improved massively, then he was dropped as he had forgotten how to bat.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Sat 09 Jan 2010, 21:41

beamer wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:Geraint Jones suffered from everyone constantly telling him how shit he was, and funnily enough his confidence took a hit.
Not sure about that - his keeping improved massively, then he was dropped as he had forgotten how to bat.

That's my point really, he was under absolute non-stop pressure for one thing or the other. He's spoken since about how it affected him. Maybe you can make the argument that being prone to that is part of the reason for not making it, but I think the media had got it badly in for whoever filled that role at that time.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Jan 2010, 22:37

Gus Fraser. In 1989 I thought he was just another seamer, then he turned into the core of the bowling.

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sat 09 Jan 2010, 22:48

Rob I wrote:Gus Fraser. In 1989 I thought he was just another seamer, then he turned into the core of the bowling.
Everyone picked in 1989 was "just another" something or other, with the amount of players they picked it was inevitable that one or two of them would turn out to be half decent!

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sat 09 Jan 2010, 23:15

Shane Watson.

So over-hyped and under-seen since about 1983 that some non-Oz folk probably wondereed if he existed outside the media's imagination. Always injured. Clumsy, leaden-footed, technique so ugly you wondered sometimes if his shoes were on the right feet and he was holding the bat the right way up. By all accvounts a complete clot. Typical 75% a Test batsman and 75% a test bowler, whoch of course adds up to 75% of a Test cricketer. Not bad at the one-day caper, eventually, but WGAF. Two years ago his State captain retired so he could have a shot at opening the batting at first-class level. (God knows what behind-the-scenes arm-twisting brought that about). In his first four innings were three ducks and a scvore in the teens. Still always injured. Still a goose. Because we 'had' to have an all-rounder (apparently it's the Law) he still got gigs to India (despite no numbers whatsoever) and England foir Ashes 09. Because he was the only candidate for the spot within a thousand miles (nice one Aunt Hilda) he fell into Phil Hughes's opening spot by default.

I think most of us know the rest. Mind you, he's still a prize dickhead.....

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8822
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next