Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Telephones of the mobile variety

+23
filosofee
PlanetPakistan
JKLever
Batman
DJ_Smerk
Merlin
Brass Monkey
Henry Nolonga
eowyn
embee
Bradman
Clutch
buckSH
Ash
doremi
Blackadder
Zat
PeterCS
LeFromage
krikri
furriner
Shoeshine
Chivalry Augustus
27 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Telephones of the mobile variety Empty Telephones of the mobile variety

Post by Chivalry Augustus Thu 14 Jan 2010, 19:28

I broke my mobile recently, I want a new one. What should I get? Are iPhone's over-hyped, or just over-expensive? Is there an app to pick me a new mobile phone? I don't want to procrastinate too long. And I want one that can be used on pay as you go because I don't wish to be raped. Now, usual course of action would obviously be to go into a phone shop. Unfortunately, I did that today, but it felt as if I was a sheep in heat whilst the three salesmen were gentlemen from Derbyshire. I didn't even get to explain what I wanted.

Why can't you just go into a shop nowadays and browse? Why do these 'sales assistants' or 'salesmen' have to lick your arse in the process? I really like to have a nice, quiet walk around the shops some days, but it seems I'm too quaint. I just want to have a look at a new top without someone poking themselves in front of me to ask if I'm alright and if I wouldn't want any help and if I wouldn't like to try that on in the back where the changing rooms are, plus would I like to buy the whole shop whilst I was at it and do I know about their offer. I just want to buy ON MY OWN TERMS!

So yeah, I'd like a phone. The idea of an all-in-oner like the iPhone appeals to me, but has the downsides of being expensive and me knowing absolutely nothing about it.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Telephones of the mobile variety Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Telephones of the mobile variety Empty Re: Telephones of the mobile variety

Post by Shoeshine Thu 14 Jan 2010, 19:33

What do you need it for? A functional phone, or do you want toys and gadgets? Do you need to send emails on it, does a keyboard matter etc etc.

An iPhone or Blackberry or any decent phone is going to be quite pricey to buy if you do it on a pay as you go deal - they only get thrown in if it's on a contract. Can work out cheaper though. Just depends what you want.

Shoeshine

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Thu 14 Jan 2010, 19:41

Well, I don't NEED it, per se. But like a lot of people I want. And what I'd like is something that brings down the number of things I keep in my pocket. When I had my old phone I also had an mp3 player in there, which is why an iPhone appeals. I appreciate that an iPhone costs £343 and up on payg but I'm not particularly bothered - there's always ebay and the intro to get a cheaper price if needs be. I just don't know about Apple, I'm convinced they're the devil. There's something dark and devious about iPhones and I really want somebody to (sincerely) come on here and tell me they're dog-shit and I should castrate myself for even considering it (then recommend a viable alternative). But if not, I might just get an iPhone.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu 14 Jan 2010, 19:45

No, they're pretty good.

I have a blackberry because I use it for business purposes and having a proper keyboard to type emails is a bit of a requirement. But if it wasn't, I'd definitely get an iPhone.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Thu 14 Jan 2010, 19:52

Well, I don't NEED it, per se. But like a lot of people I want.

Take the iPhone.

Be advised thought that it really is one of those products that, upon purchase, make it ver' ver' difficult for you* to downgrade. It's like getting into the habit of watching and appreciating Test cricket, and also believing that you can make do with ODIs for the rest of your life if needed.

In other words, once you buy it don't plan on going back to 'ordinary' cellphones anytime soon.

*Most people I know anyway.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12508
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by krikri Thu 14 Jan 2010, 19:57

iPhone. And if you jailbreak it you can get apps for free, apparently Wink
krikri
krikri

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Thu 14 Jan 2010, 20:05

Turn your back on this useless fad.

Never had a mobile - and I've turned out fine...
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 14 Jan 2010, 22:12

Use those two polystyrene cups with a bit of twine.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu 14 Jan 2010, 23:43

iPhone - according to several people I know who have them - a pretty ordinary phone, but with so amny other accessories/applications available, they're a lot of fun.

Google's just about to release (or may have done so) it's own branded phone.

Have some fun shopping around, go to your phone shop and ask lots of awkward questions of the spotty-faced youth behind the counter.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Thu 14 Jan 2010, 23:48

The days of the spotty-faced youth are over. It's all about transvestites on the evidence of today. I had this really weird bloke 'chat me up.' On the one hand he was obviously a man, with a bit of a tub on him and one of those rough, likeable voices that just scream to you 'I'm a man's man.' But then when I turned around, he had this girly hair-do, feminine (but fat) face, and silly highlights in his fringe. His hair colour was no way natural, it was sort of a blood colour, but like dried-on blood. I think he was going for the vampire look. Vampire is in nowadays, apparently. But he still looked like a total anus buggering queer-mo to me - as my old dad would say.

So buying a phone is a scarier and more precarious business than ever before.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu 14 Jan 2010, 23:53

Chivalry Augustus wrote:So buying a phone is a scarier and more precarious business than ever before.

Do it by phone. I rang up Vodafone and shouted at them until they did what I wanted. The guys in the call centre are on commissions just as much as anyone else, and they tend to know more about it.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Fri 15 Jan 2010, 00:02

MUST... NOT... MAKE... CALL... CENTRE... JOKE... MUST... RES...IST... TEMPTATION...

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackadder Fri 15 Jan 2010, 00:04

The only down side with the I-Phone if you are using the internet alot, it tends to drain the battery rather quickly.
Also can't send MMS to other users

Blackadder

Telephones of the mobile variety ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3959
Registration date : 2008-12-27
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Fri 15 Jan 2010, 00:14

In Australia, a lot of people with iPhones have found their internet bills to be somewhat huge. So I'm told...

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Fri 15 Jan 2010, 00:16

Zat wrote:In Australia, a lot of people with iPhones have found their internet bills to be somewhat huge. So I'm told...

Yep. Need to be on the right tariff.

Mind you, when I was in Australia, my mobile bill for data came to £240, so it's not just an iPhone issue.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Fri 15 Jan 2010, 00:17

Chivalry Augustus wrote:The days of the spotty-faced youth are over. It's all about transvestites on the evidence of today. I had this really weird bloke 'chat me up.' On the one hand he was obviously a man, with a bit of a tub on him and one of those rough, likeable voices that just scream to you 'I'm a man's man.' But then when I turned around, he had this girly hair-do, feminine (but fat) face, and silly highlights in his fringe. His hair colour was no way natural, it was sort of a blood colour, but like dried-on blood. I think he was going for the vampire look. Vampire is in nowadays, apparently. But he still looked like a total anus buggering queer-mo to me - as my old dad would say.

Sorry about that. I do tend to come on a bit eager when serving the inhumanly grotesque. Sort of a pick-me-up, to make them feel f*ckable, when in fact they have the physical attraction of a plate of sick, swimming in a colostomy bag. Of sick.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Fri 15 Jan 2010, 00:19

Shoeshine wrote:
Zat wrote:In Australia, a lot of people with iPhones have found their internet bills to be somewhat huge. So I'm told...

Mind you, when I was in Australia, my mobile bill for data came to £240, so it's not just an iPhone issue.
If your phone company has an agreement with Telstra for Aus, then you can expect to be screwed. They do that to everyone. And are one of very few ISPs in the world - as far as I've been able to research it - who meter and/or charge for both Upload and Download. Which is why I'm not with Telstra for my internet.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Fri 15 Jan 2010, 00:29

Zat wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:

If your phone company has an agreement with Telstra for Aus, then you can expect to be screwed. They do that to everyone. And are one of very few ISPs in the world - as far as I've been able to research it - who meter and/or charge for both Upload and Download. Which is why I'm not with Telstra for my internet.

Vodafone mate. But since they've been hammered for domestic and EU charges, they make it up by charging an arm and a leg for everywhere else. Though it didn't help that it had to be Telstra occasionally in some of the dead spots. But I can always find someone to invoice for it. Wink

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by krikri Fri 15 Jan 2010, 00:30

Blackadder wrote:The only down side with the I-Phone if you are using the internet alot, it tends to drain the battery rather quickly.

Not sure if Australian networks haven't allowed it, but MMS works in England since the 3.0 software upgrade.
krikri
krikri

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Fri 15 Jan 2010, 02:07

It's a phone. Dial-talk-hang up. If you need an mp3 player, get a good sony-e walkman phone, a few of them come with excellent cameras as well.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Fri 15 Jan 2010, 02:16

iphone is a lot of fun but also has some drawbacks - mms, no video (unless its the 3gs), no flash, poor camera, no multi tasking, bluetooth transfers. some people also prefer the tactile feedback you get with keys in terms of texting etc

iphone 3gs on payg is £450 which is more than a laptop. not worth it imo. if you really crave the iphone experience get a an ipod touch for £150. or get it on contract (£89 on a 24 month £35 p/m deal). in either case you'll get unlimited data which will allow you to enjoy it to the fullest.

if you're not into mobile surfing, apps etc then id go for a nokia or a sony ericsson. more well rounded, cheaper...n96, aino can both be picked up for around £150-200 and have everything except the iphone UI experience. go for the n97 or satio if you want more. a common myth is that the iphone bought multimedia to phones. decent cameraphones have been around since 2005, mp3 players on phones since 2004. any half decent phone will have a decent mp3 player in it and probably a better camera than the iphone.
Ash
Ash

Telephones of the mobile variety MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by buckSH Fri 15 Jan 2010, 04:08

Best Screen on a phone: Samsung Omnia HD 2, HTC HD 2

buckSH

Number of posts : 3027
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Clutch Fri 15 Jan 2010, 05:03

Get an Android phone - all the bells and whistles of an iphone with the freedom of not selling your soul to Apple.
Clutch
Clutch

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2007-09-18
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by buckSH Fri 15 Jan 2010, 05:09

Yes, best not to go for the current gen iphone with non-removable batteries.

Next gen iphone 4G is due in June or July w/user changeable battery.

buckSH

Number of posts : 3027
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackadder Fri 15 Jan 2010, 05:37

krikri wrote:
Blackadder wrote:The only down side with the I-Phone if you are using the internet alot, it tends to drain the battery rather quickly.

Not sure if Australian networks haven't allowed it, but MMS works in England since the 3.0 software upgrade.

Wouldn't suprise me if that was the case with the telcos here, still no MMS even after the upgrade AFAIK. shrug

Blackadder

Telephones of the mobile variety ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3959
Registration date : 2008-12-27
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next