Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympic stadium design announced

+8
The One
bliksem
doremi
Brass Monkey
Henry
Shoeshine
eowyn
JKLever
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Olympic stadium design announced - Page 2 Empty Re: Olympic stadium design announced

Post by JKLever Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:47 am

The One wrote:yeah grounds with running tracks are hardly football grounds, they are athletics grounds with people playing football on it once in a while. very poor for atmosphere, the traditional english and german grounds are way better

Yep. Hence Bayerns move from the Olympic stadium to their new ground.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-07
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Olympic stadium design announced - Page 2 Empty Re: Olympic stadium design announced

Post by JKLever Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:48 am

Henry wrote:Why have they ruled out the idea of the Olympic stadium becoming West Ham's home gound? Surely it would save money rather than having another stadium being built.

Because the stadium must have a running track for Athletics.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:49 am

JKLever wrote:
doremi wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:
Henry wrote:The Sydney stadium was about 90,000 for the Olympics and reduced to 70,000 afterwards, but it is Sydney's only 50,000+ seat stadium.

I guess the argument is that London doesnt need another huge stadium on top of Wembley, the Emirates, and Twickenham.

More to the point, they want one specifically for athletics, and a running track doesn't work in a football or rugby stadium. And an 80,000 seat stadium is far too big for athletics post 2012.

Hah, you obviously haven't seen the bigger Indian football stadiums (and by big I mean a capacity of 100,000+).

The general consensus in this country is that a running track dilutes the atmosphere. No club side will move to a new ground with a running track

Well yeah that's what our English coach said.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by bliksem Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:56 am

JKLever wrote:
bliksem wrote:That's quite a small stadium for something like the Olympics. I presume ticket prices are going to be astronomical?

Its 80,000

What's 80,000? The price of a ticket? You said in your first post that they were reducing the size of the stadium to 25,000.
bliksem
bliksem

Number of posts : 1005

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:59 am

bliksem wrote:
JKLever wrote:
bliksem wrote:That's quite a small stadium for something like the Olympics. I presume ticket prices are going to be astronomical?

Its 80,000

What's 80,000? The price of a ticket? You said in your first post that they were reducing the size of the stadium to 25,000.

After the Olympics Wink
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by bliksem Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:05 am

So it's 80,000 for the Olympics and then they're going to make it 25,000 after it? That sounds rather odd to me. Bit of a waste too. There's children starving in Ethiopia after all.
bliksem
bliksem

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:07 am

bliksem wrote:So it's 80,000 for the Olympics and then they're going to make it 25,000 after it? That sounds rather odd to me.

No need for another stadium in London of 80k.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by bliksem Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:19 am

I know, it just sounds like a massive waste. Can they not make the extra capacity out of old toilet paper tubes and sticky-backed plastic or something?
bliksem
bliksem

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:40 am

bliksem wrote:I know, it just sounds like a massive waste. Can they not make the extra capacity out of old toilet paper tubes and sticky-backed plastic or something?

Hang on, I'll ask Valarie Singleton for you...
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:15 am

bliksem wrote:I know, it just sounds like a massive waste. Can they not make the extra capacity out of old toilet paper tubes and sticky-backed plastic or something?

I didn't think Multiplex were building this one? :bom:

Shoeshine

Olympic stadium design announced - Page 2 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Forum Goat Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:02 am

Here is a nice link about world's stadiums (stadia?). It lists stadiums by capacity, tenant, continent, and sports played with nice pictures. A list is there for future constructions too!

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_menu/stadium_list.shtml

Forum Goat

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2007-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:10 am

The biggest ball sport stadium in the world is the one in Pyongyang, North Korea, with a capacity of 150,000. They mostly use it for lavish military parades, though.

It's incredible the capacity of some of those US college football stadiums. Most of them seat between 50-100,000.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:37 am

Henry wrote:The Sydney stadium was about 90,000 for the Olympics and reduced to 70,000 afterwards
Speaking through your arse again Trev?

Olympic Stadium in Sydney had a capacity in excess of 100,000 prior to the games, slightly reduced for the Olympics due to increased press area but still six-figures if media were included. After the games the seating in the nosebleeds at the end was removed and a capacity of 80,000+ was maintained.

Then again, expecting you to actually be positive about anything Australian would be like expecting the sun to come up in the west.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:41 am

I always think Olympic Stadiums are built with too big a capacity.

Aside from the opening & closing ceremonies, most are only 30-40% full during the events
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:50 am

JKLever wrote:I always think Olympic Stadiums are built with too big a capacity.

Aside from the opening & closing ceremonies, most are only 30-40% full during the events

I reckon we'll fill it pretty much all the time. For all our lack of relative success, the Brits are unbelievable attenders of sport.

Try getting a ticket to any major sporting event! They always sell out.

Shoeshine

Olympic stadium design announced - Page 2 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:36 am

Aye, right enough.

I'll be there just for the crack, hopefully...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:54 am

JKLever wrote:I always think Olympic Stadiums are built with too big a capacity.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember the Olympic Stadium being full for every night of Athletics in Sydney.

It was also more than half-full for qualifying during the day.

And that stadium had a capacity of 110,000 for the Olympics.

Cheers.

Hass

Olympic stadium design announced - Page 2 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:26 am

Hass wrote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember the Olympic Stadium being full for every night of Athletics in Sydney.

It was also more than half-full for qualifying during the day.

And that stadium had a capacity of 110,000 for the Olympics.

Cheers.

You may well be right Hass. I was thinking of the daytime - i'm sure it'll be close to full at night.

It's a must see event
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:03 pm

Zat wrote:
Henry wrote:The Sydney stadium was about 90,000 for the Olympics and reduced to 70,000 afterwards

Olympic Stadium in Sydney had a capacity in excess of 100,000 prior to the games, slightly reduced for the Olympics due to increased press area but still six-figures if media were included. After the games the seating in the nosebleeds at the end was removed and a capacity of 80,000+ was maintained.

Then again, expecting you to actually be positive about anything Australian would be like expecting the sun to come up in the west.

LOL. Zat in 'perceiving everything I say to be an anti Australian rant' shock. Get a life you paranoid loser.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:14 pm

Shoeshine wrote:Can anyone explain (cos I honestly don't understand this) how you can reduce the capacity of an 80,000 stadium to 25,000?

What do they do, slice of the top tier or something?

Haven't got to the rest of the thread where some else has probably addressed this.

Anyhow............ FWIW the BBC World Service had the story that the playing surface & 25,000 seats are below ground level. When the time comes the temporary "above ground" seating will be removed.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:23 pm

Henry wrote:
Zat wrote:

LOL. Zat in 'perceiving everything I say to be an anti Australian rant' shock. Get a life you paranoid loser.
Not 'everything you say'.

Just everything you say about Australia and Australians.

Do us all a favour... Piss off back to the old country.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2