Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v Bangladesh, 1st ODI, Trent Bridge, July 8, 2010

+14
Growler
beamer
eowyn
LeFromage
tac
Allan D
jim rich
Merlin
Red
Henry
skully
PeterCS
Basil
JKLever
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

England v Bangladesh, 1st ODI, Trent Bridge, July 8, 2010 - Page 2 Empty Re: England v Bangladesh, 1st ODI, Trent Bridge, July 8, 2010

Post by tac Thu 08 Jul 2010, 17:31

You're sounding bitter, petey . . . but yes, I believe there's a big difference between your mum and your step-mum dying . . . I believe most would agree . . . goat
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

England v Bangladesh, 1st ODI, Trent Bridge, July 8, 2010 - Page 2 Empty Re: England v Bangladesh, 1st ODI, Trent Bridge, July 8, 2010

Post by Guest Thu 08 Jul 2010, 17:49

JKLever wrote:
Henry wrote:This has been the most complacent start from England since the word complacent was invented.

Tredwell was a weak as piss selection, a non threatening spinner to join seemingly a non-wicket taking opening bowler in Bresnan (who should be first change)

I had to visit hospital because of this. They diagnosed boiling blood.

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 08 Jul 2010, 18:14

tac wrote:You're sounding bitter, petey . . . but yes, I believe there's a big difference between your mum and your step-mum dying . . . I believe most would agree . . . goat

Eh? That's like someone who flags up cynicism being labelled "cynical". Very Happy Here's a bit of Czeslaw Milosz: "Sarcastic irony is an ambivalent and sometimes dangerous weapon, often corroding the hand that wields it." ~ But I'd have thought you might have learnt that from other tussles on this forum! Very Happy

Meanwhile, back at the game ..... not much new learnt today, it seems. All fairly predictable so far.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 08 Jul 2010, 18:15

Clamson wrote:
JKLever wrote:
Henry wrote:This has been the most complacent start from England since the word complacent was invented.

Tredwell was a weak as piss selection, a non threatening spinner to join seemingly a non-wicket taking opening bowler in Bresnan (who should be first change)

I had to visit hospital because of this. They diagnosed boiling blood.

Take it easy. It's just another game, JAMODI indeed.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 08 Jul 2010, 18:21

PeterCS wrote:

Take it easy.

Sounds like the England team...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Thu 08 Jul 2010, 18:42

Is that back to back 70s for Jimmy?

Can't say I've been following the one-dayers too intently, but every time I tune in, he seems to have been hammered all around the pack in the Saj Mahmood stylee.

What a laugh that the LOP (leader of the pack) has been spending the past few months getting his blouse in a twist over Sidebottom's selection ahead of him in the limited overs stuff.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Jul 2010, 18:44

Luke Wright is still playing. WTF?
Tredwell. WTF?
Anderson is too unreliable. FFS.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Thu 08 Jul 2010, 18:47

Add to the WTF/FFS list Bresnan. And Yardy. And Morgan. No, not Morgan. I got carried away. He's all right.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Thu 08 Jul 2010, 19:33

Well it is Bangladesh but Strauss out!!!
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Thu 08 Jul 2010, 19:35

Well, he did his job as pinch hitter. Fortunately the anchor man Kieswetter is still there.

No, wait... what?
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Thu 08 Jul 2010, 19:38

What's going on... what's going on...
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu 08 Jul 2010, 21:09

Dello wrote:Add to the WTF/FFS list Bresnan. And Yardy. And Morgan. No, not Morgan. I got carried away. He's all right.
A year or so ago most of us did see him as an FFS'er... things can change quickly. But he always had the natural talent that some of these others don't.

I suppose they see Bresnan as the honest workhorse in the Fraser/Gough/Hoggard mould but unfortunately he doesn't have the ability that any of those three had. Still, he does an OK job in the shorter formats. On occasions at least.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Thu 08 Jul 2010, 21:22

JKLever wrote:Seriously? Broad, a 'who will turn up' Jimmykins 'non-wicket taking' Bresnan as the only front line bowlers?

When you have Yardy in the side as non-threatening dart bowler why the hell do you pick another non-threatening spinner?

Incredible complacency + shoite selection is going to = defeat

You're being a tad pessimistic there JK.

Broad has had the knack of picking up wickets at just the right time - some with good balls, some with tripe, but they all count.

Bresnan - still not sure about him .......

Yardy - to be fair, he's certainly not been the worst spinner we ever picked by any means, but you're right ...... there's no obvious reason tor selecting Tredders.

Anderson - we know he's better than his recent figures would suggest, but WTF is Strauss doing bowling him in 2 or 3 over spells. Jimmy has often been expensive in his first over or two in a spell 'til he gets his rhythm. He may go 7 or 8 in his first three overs, but if kept on, will only concede a handful of singles in the next half dozen or so. Today, as in the last couple of Aus games, Strauss had him bowl 10 overs in 4 spells - dickhead.
Growler
Growler

England v Bangladesh, 1st ODI, Trent Bridge, July 8, 2010 - Page 2 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Thu 08 Jul 2010, 21:38

But with half a team of FFS England have still been beating all and sundry of late. What can it all mean?
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Thu 08 Jul 2010, 21:44

That the rest of the world really are sh!te!
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Thu 08 Jul 2010, 21:48

Eric Air Emu wrote:But with half a team of FFS England have still been beating all and sundry of late. What can it all mean?

The world has mad, make a pointless living will now.
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 08 Jul 2010, 21:49

Growler wrote:
JKLever wrote:Seriously? Broad, a 'who will turn up' Jimmykins 'non-wicket taking' Bresnan as the only front line bowlers?

When you have Yardy in the side as non-threatening dart bowler why the hell do you pick another non-threatening spinner?

Incredible complacency + shoite selection is going to = defeat

You're being a tad pessimistic there JK.

Broad has had the knack of picking up wickets at just the right time - some with good balls, some with tripe, but they all count.

Bresnan - still not sure about him .......

Yardy - to be fair, he's certainly not been the worst spinner we ever picked by any means, but you're right ...... there's no obvious reason tor selecting Tredders.

Anderson - we know he's better than his recent figures would suggest, but WTF is Strauss doing bowling him in 2 or 3 over spells. Jimmy has often been expensive in his first over or two in a spell 'til he gets his rhythm. He may go 7 or 8 in his first three overs, but if kept on, will only concede a handful of singles in the next half dozen or so. Today, as in the last couple of Aus games, Strauss had him bowl 10 overs in 4 spells - dickhead.

Perhaps, but our ODI side is carrying a few non-performers at the moment. Now would be the perfect time to play Rashid. Poor fella always seems to get picked against Pakistan, Australia or India and Tredwell gets the gimmies against the Bangles....

Have we really learnt anything from this game? Apart from the fact that Bell can score at a s/r of just under 80

And that the bowling lacks someone to come in and blast a few out. Perhaps there's room for a one-legged Freddie yet...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Thu 08 Jul 2010, 21:52

Maybe, just maybe Yardy is an incredibly underrated cricketer. It seems like you've got be some sort of uber connoisseur to detect his worth but there's something there... Bresnan may be unfashionable and un-wicket taking but he's usually good for ten overs of not being totally carnaged and can get runs down the order.

Luke Wright still needs some explaining to me. I just don't quite get it.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Thu 08 Jul 2010, 21:53

eowyn wrote:
Eric Air Emu wrote:But with half a team of FFS England have still been beating all and sundry of late. What can it all mean?

The world has mad, make a pointless living will now.

No, that's lost on me.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 08 Jul 2010, 21:55

I can see the point in playing Yardy because the next WC is in the sub-continent and he at least doesn't try to pretend he's anything but a defensive darts player.

Bresnan has a good attitude but just doesn't threaten with the new ball, I think he and Broad need to swap.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 09 Jul 2010, 04:08

Belf!! What a player. Make him skipper. Cool
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105897
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Fri 09 Jul 2010, 08:16

skully wrote:Belf!! What a player. Make him skipper. Cool

Feck off skullywag ... comments like that make me weep.

Interestingly ...
Bumble (whose dry wit is a welcome relief amid the dour Naz, Athers, Beefy and the thickos Ward and Knight) made an astute but obvious observation on Sky yesterday ...
"Bell always plays against Bangladesh doesn't he ..... and seems to enjoy himself"

He then followed this a few moments later (in a totally different context) with ...
"D'you know, Bangladesh have played 24 games this year and they haven't won a single one of them ..."

Funny that ...innit!

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Fri 09 Jul 2010, 08:25

In test cricket, Bell has done well against all teams in all circumstances. Time to give him a break for a bit.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 09 Jul 2010, 08:32

Henry wrote:In test cricket, Bell has done well against all teams in all circumstances. Time to give him a break for a bit.
I might do an MB and tuck this one away in case of massive Belf failure during the Ashes. Cool
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105897
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Fri 09 Jul 2010, 08:33

Trev -

Remind me again what his average was over 10 innings against the Aussies in 2005 - following which he was awarded an MBE ? Then tell me his average against the Bangles .... d'you see a correlation there?

Remind me again how often was it that Bell singularly held the middle order together and batted under pressure to carry England to safety?

Finally, how often has Bell scored big when others higher up the order have ALSO scored big ?

Morgan ahead of Bell in a heartbeat ... the problem is that Bell's mentor Gashley Piles won't have it any other way (avoiding the obvious connotation) ... and as such, the ball-less snarling pussy will, yet again, get a freebie berth in the Ashes tests.

The only "break" Bell ought to get is a permanent one away from the England squad.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next