Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lousy preparation = first Home Ashes loss since 86-87?

+12
Growler
Nath
Zat
tac
G.Wood
Allan D
Basil
Merlin
PeterCS
JKLever
SG
skully
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Lousy preparation = first Home Ashes loss since 86-87? - Page 3 Empty Re: Lousy preparation = first Home Ashes loss since 86-87?

Post by JKLever Thu 06 Jan 2011, 15:42

Skully is a god damn sage. Played sir...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Lousy preparation = first Home Ashes loss since 86-87? - Page 3 Empty Re: Lousy preparation = first Home Ashes loss since 86-87?

Post by Guest Thu 06 Jan 2011, 16:23

JKLever wrote:Skully is a god damn sage. Played sir...
I feel like chanting "Are you Australia in disguise?" at our players.

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Thu 06 Jan 2011, 16:27

JKLever wrote:Bollocks Skully. Our opening pace bowling average 34+

We have one world class batsman who is in no kind of form.

As Dellboy said, we won't take 20 wickets once all tour.

The biggest surprise is that this morning we're going to do exactly the opposite for the 4th time in as many matches
Growler
Growler

Lousy preparation = first Home Ashes loss since 86-87? - Page 3 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 06 Jan 2011, 19:35

Yup, utterly Bizarre.

I still don't think Aus are as bad as they look atm, we just got on a bit of a roll
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu 06 Jan 2011, 20:39

JKLever wrote:Yup, utterly Bizarre.

I still don't think Aus are as bad as they look atm, we just got on a bit of a roll
You go anywhere near our selectors with an attitude like that and I'll, I'll, I'll, I'll....

(can't actually think how to finish that.)

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu 06 Jan 2011, 20:51

Is this 1989 in reverse? Australia turned up that time to face an England in disarray after the "summer of the four captains" (or was it five?) but it was OK, we always beat Australia (or at least to someone who first watched cricket in 1985 we did). An evenly matched series between two ordinary sides, or so it appeared. The rest is history, the 4-0 scoreline flattered England, Australia were on their way to the top and England would bump along the bottom with only the occasional moment of hope for another decade.

Another parallel is perhaps the West Indies' visit to England in 2000 - the moment when the decline of a once-great side moved from mediocrity into complete capitulation, as they went from a level series to being blown away in the last two Tests. They haven't really recovered since. Can't see Australia plumbing those depths for an extended spell though, it's good to watch them being crap but not sure Test cricket can survive having an abject Australian side for a decade or so, will the public still support it in the same way?

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 07 Jan 2011, 08:23

skully wrote:We have a Forum 5 group together for Day 1 of the 5th Test. Lordy I hope the series is still alive at that point.

It could easy still be 0-0. Shocked
What ridiculous optimism this was.

howl
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105950
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 07 Jan 2011, 08:25

JKLever wrote:Skully is a god damn sage. Played sir...
Thanks, but it doesn't make me feel any less depressed. But I am happy for all English supporters. I know what a grouse thing the Ashes-winning euphoria is.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Fri 07 Jan 2011, 08:58

skully wrote:I know what a grouse thing the Ashes-winning euphoria is.
So do I, but the memory is fading PDQ.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 07 Jan 2011, 09:06

Aye. [sigh]
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Jan 2011, 16:29

skully wrote:Aye. [sigh]
Imagine having never felt ashes euphoria until you were 20. You might begin to understand my relentless onslaught of photos if you can imagine that Very Happy.

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 07 Jan 2011, 16:39

Zat wrote:

I can imagine Aus fans got pretty damn complacent as they reeled off 8 series wins with an all time great side for most of them, a bit like the poms turn up and they get beat.

That certainly makes me take it all this in as it can change all very quickly...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 07 Jan 2011, 16:42

beamer wrote:Is this 1989 in reverse? Australia turned up that time to face an England in disarray after the "summer of the four captains" (or was it five?) but it was OK, we always beat Australia (or at least to someone who first watched cricket in 1985 we did). An evenly matched series between two ordinary sides, or so it appeared. The rest is history, the 4-0 scoreline flattered England, Australia were on their way to the top and England would bump along the bottom with only the occasional moment of hope for another decade.

Can you imagine going through 1988-89 in the internet age? Dismal... you're right about just expecting to beat Aus in 1989. We also farqued up badly in selection in 89, panicking way too early. We dropped Chris Broad for Tim Curtis FFS. That's up there with replacing Hauritz with Doherty.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Fri 07 Jan 2011, 18:39

Then when you thought it couldn't get any worse, half of them decided to go on a rebel tour to Yarpland and the selectors were reduced to picking another random bunch of nobodies out of the county game.

Was that rock bottom for English cricket? We had our moments throughout the 90s, most of them against Australia, and there was that famous low point of being booed after losing at home to NZ in '99 before the great turnaround started under Nasser, but nothing matches 88-89 in terms of sheer hopelessness and scattergun selection. We were just fortunate that was the one year there ended up being no winter tour!

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 07 Jan 2011, 18:48

People would have though you mad if you had said just after the 1988 WI series that the WI would not have won in England for the next 23 years (and counting) OR that England would lose the next 8 Ashes series...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Jan 2011, 18:51

JKLever wrote:People would have though you mad if you had said just after the 1988 WI series that the WI would not have won in England for the next 23 years (and counting) OR that England would lose the next 8 Ashes series...
I sometimes find it easier to say "We lost 4 straight home series" in my head. It still sounds pretty bad, but not quite as bad as not winning anything for 18 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Fri 07 Jan 2011, 19:02

I never realised that was the last time WI won in England! Thinking about it we got a couple of surprising drawn series in '91 and '95 before their decline really kicked in. Took us until 2000 to actually reclaim the Wisden Trophy, which we've held ever since apart from a couple of months two years ago when they claimed a shock victory over there then for some reason agreed to put it at stake again in a two-match series in the freezing English early season!

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Fri 07 Jan 2011, 23:27

JKLever wrote:
Zat wrote:

I can imagine Aus fans got pretty damn complacent as they reeled off 8 series wins with an all time great side for most of them, a bit like the poms turn up and they get beat.

That certainly makes me take it all this in as it can change all very quickly...
Pretty sure many of us made repeated references to the dark days of the 80s on the old ABC and C4 forums. The fear for me when we were on top was of what has now transpired in the past 18 months.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Fri 07 Jan 2011, 23:42

I can't believe how organised England are these days.

You'd have to say that English cricket has the best setup going around at the moment. Sure, the County game still has its flaws, but around 2000 it seemed to be decided that making England the best team in the world should be the priority. We have so many development programs, performance programs, Lions programs, pace programs, spin programs, coaching programs, and school initiatives now.

We are also developing some very good player depth, and players on the fringes of the team are genuinely hungry and desperate to do well for England. That's something you couldn't say with confidence 15-20 years ago, when a call up for England was often treated as a pay bonus on top of their County pay cheque.

The only problem is that live cricket is on pay TV only. I hope that can be changed soon. At least for Ashes series.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Fri 07 Jan 2011, 23:48

Would be nice to have cricket on free TV, but as you know Trev - it's the Sky money which has allowed us to put the organisational set-up in place.
Growler
Growler

Lousy preparation = first Home Ashes loss since 86-87? - Page 3 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 07 Jan 2011, 23:50

Henry wrote:
You'd have to say that English cricket has the best setup going around at the moment.

I think we're well prepared but imo the County System still has its flaws... though i think the top 4 or 5 sides could compete in the Sheffield Shield easily there is far too much dross lower down. The move to 2 division has improved the standard at the top for sure.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Mon 12 Aug 2013, 21:40

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:Skulls - you just hoped that a fact was right.

THe next Ashes is in Australia, and you are playing England.
As crook as Aus was in 86-87 I was still hopeful that we would compete. The series was over by Day 3 of T4. Gladstone Small FFS had just helped Beefy clean us up by an innings. The lowest ebb for Aus cricket in my near 40 years watching the Great Game.
Is that still the case given what we've seen in the last couple of series?

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 12 Aug 2013, 21:45

Henry wrote:I can't believe how organised England are these days.

You'd have to say that English cricket has the best setup going around at the moment. Sure, the County game still has its flaws, but around 2000 it seemed to be decided that making England the best team in the world should be the priority. We have so many development programs, performance programs, Lions programs, pace programs, spin programs, coaching programs, and school initiatives now.

We are also developing some very good player depth, and players on the fringes of the team are genuinely hungry and desperate to do well for England. That's something you couldn't say with confidence 15-20 years ago, when a call up for England was often treated as a pay bonus on top of their County pay cheque.

The only problem is that live cricket is on pay TV only. I hope that can be changed soon. At least for Ashes series.
You still think this is true?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 15 Aug 2013, 21:05

beamer wrote:
skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:Skulls - you just hoped that a fact was right.

THe next Ashes is in Australia, and you are playing England.
As crook as Aus was in 86-87 I was still hopeful that we would compete. The series was over by Day 3 of T4. Gladstone Small FFS had just helped Beefy clean us up by an innings. The lowest ebb for Aus cricket in my near 40 years watching the Great Game.
Is that still the case given what we've seen in the last couple of series?
I think 85-87 was the worst ... even the recent pain doesn't really compete. We couldn't beat anyone then, collapses were routine, for three years solidly. We were in decline after G Chappell, Marsh and Lillee all retired at once; the South African rebel tour in 1985 decimated the selection pool, and we were left with club cricketers and a few babies.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38105

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu 15 Aug 2013, 23:24

Yeah, guess in the mid to late 80s the Ashes was pretty much a wooden spoon contest. WI were dominant, Pakistan and India strong, NZ as good as they have ever been, SA were absent from official competition and SL don't really count as they were newcomer minnows who had played very few Tests at that stage.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3