Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Illingworth & Fletcher set English cricket back 10 years

+8
Henry
Basil
JKLever
Gary 111
Growler
Merlin
skully
Eric Air Emu
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Illingworth & Fletcher set English cricket back 10 years Empty Illingworth & Fletcher set English cricket back 10 years

Post by Eric Air Emu Mon 13 Sep 2010, 21:17

So says my boyhood crush Robin Smith:

You didn't get the same kind of support from his successors?
I'm sitting here in Perth and I'm a million miles away from the days when I played the game, but in my opinion those two [Ray Illingworth and Keith Fletcher] were the most appalling man managers, the most appalling coaches and the most appalling people that I've met. My career went downhill very rapidly because they didn't want to understand me and were just too quick to knock and criticise. It wasn't just me, though. It was such a shame during that period, because I played with about 74 players for England in about five years. Nobody knew what the hell was going on. In my opinion they set English cricket back 10 years.

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/469055.html

Fair comment? Seems like the quality of management of the England team in the early-mid 90's was akin to that of Pakistan in the present day. Illingworth inparticular was a genuine relic of a bygone era.

Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Illingworth & Fletcher set English cricket back 10 years Empty Re: Illingworth & Fletcher set English cricket back 10 years

Post by skully Mon 13 Sep 2010, 21:54

Eric Air Emu wrote:So says my boyhood crush Robin Smith:
Is this Tom or Rachel speaking? Cool
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Illingworth & Fletcher set English cricket back 10 years Empty Re: Illingworth & Fletcher set English cricket back 10 years

Post by Merlin Mon 13 Sep 2010, 21:57

It has to be Tom ..........

Smith's right though ...
Both were absolute dickheads.
But a stronger minded skipper during those years might well have tempered the iron and ham fisted rule of those two twats.
There was so much rotating dressing room doors that I've forgotten just who the skipper/s was/were back then!

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 13 Sep 2010, 22:05

That's a double Cool Merls.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Mon 13 Sep 2010, 22:35

I also used to enjoy watching the Judge - especially against the quicks.

Michael Atherton would agree with Smith to a point. In his autobiography, he expresses a fair degree of respect for Kieth Fletcher, but is much more ambivalent regarding Raymond.

When he (Athers) was appointed skipper for his first WI tour, he was aware that the old guard were all in the later stages of their carreers, and whilst all still good players - they'd had years of hidings at the hands of the West Indian quicks. In discussion with the selectors, he expressed a desire to start a rebuilding process around a nucleus of young players all in their early/mid 20s, including Graeme Thorpe & Nasser Hussain among others. He said he wasn't primarily concerned with winning per se - a couple of good battling draws would be a good series result with the squad he'd have liked.

His aim was to have a strong team over the medium to long term, and having left with the impression that he'd get pretty well what he wanted - he was well disappointed when Illingworth put his foot down and over-ruled the young captain .... a process which was repeated on several occasions. He seemed to have a revolving door policy for opening partners to Atherton, and bowlers. New selections were under enormous pressure to do well from the off - very few got the chance of a full series if they were not scoring or taking wickets.

Illingworth, as self-appointed "supremo" of English cricket, also had a nasty habit of going AWOL at press conferences especially after a drubbing. Atherton often had to justify the selection of a player who - if the truth be told - he never wanted in the XI in the first place.

So IMO, whilst they may have not quite set English cricket back by 10 years, they almost certainly held it back by four or five.
Growler
Growler

Illingworth & Fletcher set English cricket back 10 years MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 13 Sep 2010, 22:41

Aye, Smith gave the Aussies in their full pomp (89 and 93) some hurry-up at times. Class act.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Mon 13 Sep 2010, 22:46

When Illingworth was captain he insisted on having total control of the selection and of the team environment. He had the confidence of his players and his captaincy record was arguably better than Brearley's, including England's last series win over the Windies for 3 decades and regaining and retaining the Ashes. They went 26 Tests unbeaten. It was his own age (he was nearing 40 when appointed) that eventually undermined him.

However when he was coach he refused to allow Atherton that very same freedom that he had demanded. He became the very same interfering establishment figure he had once fought against, undermining the confidence of players like Smith, Hick, Ramprakash and Malcolm.

Alomst like a cricketing version of Chairman Mao.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 13 Sep 2010, 22:50

Hehehe. Illy - the ultimate "do as I say, not as I do" merchant. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Mon 13 Sep 2010, 22:59

Yeah. It was probably that unshakeable belief that made him such a good captain.... and such bad coach.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 13 Sep 2010, 23:03

Illy was the first English captain I truly hated. I was barely in double-figures age-wise and just understanding the history and gravity of the great game when the MCC toured Aus in 1970-71. Illy and the Poms (particularly the mighty John Snow) were ruthless and I thought "fark, how do we ever beat these qunts."

I thank Illy for setting up my passionate quest to always smash the Poms at cricket!!! Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Mon 13 Sep 2010, 23:24

Merlin wrote:It has to be Tom ..........

Smith's right though ...
Both were absolute dickheads.
But a stronger minded skipper during those years might well have tempered the iron and ham fisted rule of those two twats.
There was so much rotating dressing room doors that I've forgotten just who the skipper/s was/were back then!

Gary's post above says it all though Merls. Athers was as strong-minded a skipper as anyone else around at the time, but Raymond wasn't going to truck dissent of any kind from any player - they'd have been shown the door in short order.
Growler
Growler

Illingworth & Fletcher set English cricket back 10 years MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 14 Sep 2010, 00:02

Got a lot of respect for Keith Fletcher, top county captain & shrewd tactician and not a mug at test level as a batsman either.

Maybe Allan Border was being polite but he's always mentioned he learnt a lot about captaincy in his 2 years at Essex.

KWF' in interviews has always bemoaned that he got the job at the wrong time really saying England had 3 or 4 test class players but the rest were merely county standard.

Illingworth was just a stubborn Yorkie, probably couldn't get over why modern day 90's England were so shoite compared to his era.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 14 Sep 2010, 08:49

Illy's choice of assistants was also questionable. Wasn't it Peter Lever who said of Devon Malcom on a tour of SA that he was shoite?
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 14 Sep 2010, 08:54

What's your point, Bas? Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 14 Sep 2010, 09:32

skully wrote:What's your point, Bas? Cool

Ok, he probably was - but it was possibly untactful to say it in public on a tour.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 14 Sep 2010, 09:41

Indeed. What Devon clearly needed was to be bounced by the opposition's strike bowler, ala AD at The Oval in 1994. He came out breathing fire that day.

I saw him bowl live (and on TV) in Aus in Ashes 94/95 and he was pretty anaemic.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 14 Sep 2010, 10:04

Devon was no world beater - but on his day and given his conditions, he was both bloody quick and viscious with it.

His problem was that he was, unlike most quicks with attitude, a soft c*ck and a genuinely nice bloke who was easy to roll over. Attempting to "change his action" was farking stupid and whoever mooted it needed castration ....

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 14 Sep 2010, 12:10

Still cringe at Devs debut - without looking at crocinfo I can see something like 300-0 in a days play.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 14 Sep 2010, 12:29

0-301. Devon took 1-166 in that innings. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 14 Sep 2010, 12:30

0-301. Devon took 1-166 in that innings. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Sep 2010, 13:04

skully wrote:0-301. Devon took 1-166 in that innings. Cool
skully wrote:0-301. Devon took 1-166 in that innings. Cool

No need to rub it in...

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 14 Sep 2010, 23:58

Hehehe, oops, apologies. Cool

Opening partnership of 329 between Mark Taylor and Swampy Marsh was (and still is) a record v England. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Wed 15 Sep 2010, 18:17

A dire, dire year all round.

JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Wed 15 Sep 2010, 18:50

As people have touched upon there was no sense of a strategic approach for England under Illy and Fletcher. Everything seemed to be looked at,at a series by series or even match by match basis using ye olde cricket logic. Terms like innovation and man managment were utterly alien. The only plan seemed to be to wait until some genuinely talent players rocked up and muddle through in the meantime. I'm sure someone can do the stats but I'm sure a high percentage of England's one or two cap wonders got their chances during this period. Ramps was probably always too much of mental (as was C Lewis) but Hick, Malcolm, Smith and Caddick should have been far better handled.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 16 Sep 2010, 03:15

All I remember from Devon's debut is the big, horn rimmed glasses.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next