Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From Ironing Board to Board Room

+9
Brass Monkey
lardbucket
JGK
Red
horace
Big Dog
Nath
Bradman
skully
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

From Ironing Board to Board Room Empty From Ironing Board to Board Room

Post by skully Tue 08 Mar 2011, 06:38

More chicks needed on Boards

"Governor-General Quentin Bryce has supported quotas to ensure more women are appointed to company boards.

The Federal Government says it will take action unless companies boost numbers voluntarily, while opposition treasury spokesman Joe Hockey has called for a 30 per cent quota.

The Governor-General says the progress of women at the highest levels of business has been slow.

"There is disappointment in many quarters about the poor representation of women in some decision making in Australia," she said.

"They have been given a good push along by some measures that have been taken by the Australian Stock Exchange with their guidelines.

"I think that we need to build on that. This is a matter that at long last is getting serious attention."

-------------------------------------------------------

Getting a bit of coverage on the Nooz.

How'd the Board quota system work out in South Africa, taips? columbo
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105986
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

From Ironing Board to Board Room Empty Re: From Ironing Board to Board Room

Post by Bradman Tue 08 Mar 2011, 06:43

I'd like to look at the representation of women at those levels presented as a percentage of the female workforce that could reasonably assume they were on such a career path.

You might find they were over represented. Anyway Gail Kelly at Westpac and the girls at Hardies and QANTAS aren't exactly good cases for quotas.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Tue 08 Mar 2011, 06:49

the lawyers will be happy, sex discrimination lawsuits ahoy!
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11982
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 08 Mar 2011, 06:52

They can cover any legislation under exemptions available under the various discrimination Acts Nath.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Tue 08 Mar 2011, 06:58

The 'Glass Ceiling' is just a myth perpetuated by the FemiNazi's. It may have once existed but now its just an excuse to push women to the front of the promotion cue.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 08 Mar 2011, 07:02

Bradman wrote:I'd like to look at the representation of women at those levels presented as a percentage of the female workforce that could reasonably assume they were on such a career path.

You might find they were over represented. Anyway Gail Kelly at Westpac and the girls at Hardies and QANTAS aren't exactly good cases for quotas.
Pretty much my view, qmy. If >50% of Board positions were held by women because they were the most talented people available, I'd be more than happy. It's Affirmative Action all over again.

What's the inside scoop on Gail Kelly? Not what she's cracked up to be?

Big Dog wrote:The 'Glass Ceiling' is just a myth perpetuated by the FemiNazi's. It may have once existed but now its just an excuse to push women to the front of the promotion cue.
snoopy-dance
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 08 Mar 2011, 07:06

I think there should be similar a quota system here at Bails.

From Ironing Board to Board Room Crickets-size-2
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Tue 08 Mar 2011, 07:08

Bradman wrote:They can cover any legislation under exemptions available under the various discrimination Acts Nath.

goat
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11982
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 08 Mar 2011, 07:09

Nah just hate the arrogant bitch. Trying to out tough the men and making it hard for the battler in the process. I've seen the syndrome before. Thankfully have mainly been in lines of work that didn't have many women in them (frequently none) but have worked for two. One a hopeless hard ass promoted to brighten up the company letterhead, and the other the best Boss I've ever had.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 08 Mar 2011, 07:12

My most recent past boss (had to suffer her for 18 months) is head of the Women at Work network in my organisation (pushing chicks to positions beyond their capabilities). What a miserable biatch. Trouble is, our MD is a rad lez fem and thinks the sun shines out of that one's rectum. Geez I'm glad to be out of her clutches.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 08 Mar 2011, 07:16

I don't really give a hoot about the gender of private sector board members - they are generally vile nobs.

I care more about equal pay for equal work including better rates of pay for women in heavily feminised and underpaid industries
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 08 Mar 2011, 07:19

I worked with a woman, well she thought I worked for her, who was promoted way over her head but basically scared the shite out of everyone (yours truly excluded) with her nasty disposition and the fact she was Aboriginal and woe betide anyone who criticises her (esp this white boy).

To make matters worse she was whiter than I was, had a rich Daddy (Ok thats probably a bit hypocritical), went to a Swiss finishing school and had used the various official and unofficial aboriginal quota systems to get priority education and ooze her way up through the slime.

I am definately anti quota but pro improving education and opportunities at entry level.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 08 Mar 2011, 07:22

horace wrote:I care more about equal pay for equal work including better rates of pay for women in heavily feminised and underpaid industries
Absolutely no argument, h. Which is why I find quota systems detestable.

Bradman wrote:I worked with a woman, well she thought I worked for her, who was promoted way over her head but basically scared the shite out of everyone (yours truly excluded) with her nasty disposition and the fact she was Aboriginal and woe betide anyone who criticises her (esp this white boy).

To make matters worse she was whiter than I was, had a rich Daddy (Ok thats probably a bit hypocritical), went to a Swiss finishing school and had used the various official and unofficial aboriginal quota systems to get priority education and ooze her way up through the slime.

I am definately anti quota but pro improving education and opportunities at entry level.
Sounds pretty similar to my recent experiences. This scrag is the master delegator - never worked a farken day in her life. But now I'm just sounding bitter and twisted. Twisted Evil
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 08 Mar 2011, 07:33

horace wrote:I don't really give a hoot about the gender of private sector board members - they are generally vile nobs.

I care more about equal pay for equal work including better rates of pay for women in heavily feminised and underpaid industries

Much more sensible.

The problem with quotas is that people get promoted beyond their capabilities, a generation of worthy applicants is disadvantaged/sacrificed, people who benefit from the form of AA become complacent and don't maximise their potential, while the skill base of the organisation is compromised. Additionally the recipient of the quota selection may actually deserve the position on merit but will always be regarded with scorn and suspicion.

It's also based on the assumption that the natural order of things is always 50/50 warranted on gender, skin colour or whatever else we're ruling on.

And you might end up with the female version of Roger Telemachus or Robbie Peterson.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 08 Mar 2011, 07:36

Well said, Red.

I think your mate taips thinks Boards all over SAffieville have ended up with male Roger Telemachus's and Herschell Gibb's on them, due to their Board quota system (not sure if it's official or generally managed by brow beating from above).
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 08 Mar 2011, 07:50

of course without a quota system there is no guarantee that the right person will get the job...the whole point is that getting a job/promotion or being fired for that matter should be based on a transparent merit based system that uses clear criteria and provides decent feedback...without doubt women have had to fight for basic rights in the workplace - but these are not about quota systems

for the most disadvantaged people in the community the 'hand up' of a job or opportunity and help for a better education is the road out of poverty...most of us would agree with that
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Tue 08 Mar 2011, 07:56

for the most disadvantaged people in the community the 'hand up' of a job or opportunity and help for a better education is the road out of poverty...most of us would agree with that

Except that the concept has been abused for years by minority activists.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 08 Mar 2011, 08:01

not really BD. ... hand out promotes welfare dependency and compounds/reproduces disadvantage hand up creates opportunity to break from poverty traps
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Tue 08 Mar 2011, 08:04

horace wrote:not really BD. ... hand out promotes welfare dependency and compounds/reproduces disadvantage hand up creates opportunity to break from poverty traps

Rubbish. It sounds good in practice but it just doesnt work.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 08 Mar 2011, 08:09

I suggest you spend some time doing some research on this outside of andrew bolt columns....while I don't like Noel pearson in the indigenous area he makes some good points on education...every additional year we can keep a kid from a poor family in schools or further ed the data tells us they will get better jobs/income etc
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 08 Mar 2011, 08:21

I see my work here is done. Cool

Quota systems do about as much for an improved and delivering workforce as an Australian carbon tax will do for alleged World Climate Change, i.e SFA.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 08 Mar 2011, 13:19

Have to agree with Tony Abbott on this - quotas don't work and if the chick is good enough she'll be promoted.

One thing I would add is that there are actually not that many appropriately qualified women who want to be Board members of major companies.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 08 Mar 2011, 14:01

Hence the GG would have the Tea Lady promoted to the Board to even up the numbers.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 08 Mar 2011, 14:02

It's predictable because she only got the GG gig because of AA to chicks and Queenslanders by Rudd.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Mar 2011, 14:50

My Mum managed to get on the board of directors of a well known company so it can be done, as long as they are capable then there shouldn't be a problem. This sort of thing will inevitably end up with people who deserve promotions being overlooked.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next