Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Picture Quiz / Gallery: "Batsmanship"

+2
Brass Monkey
PeterCS
6 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Picture Quiz / Gallery: "Batsmanship" - Page 3 Empty Re: Picture Quiz / Gallery: "Batsmanship"

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 18 Jul 2012, 20:41

PeterCS wrote:The One and BM: I quite agree it looks quite idiosyncratic seen through modern eyes (esp Pic 11, of which more later - I have to get some dinner). Hence what I said in the first post of the thread! Very Happy

And the book was criticised by some as "too theoretical" at the time, and indeed idiosyncratic.

But, even grudgingly sometimes, it was more often widely acclaimed as a sound practical manual to shot selection, good distribution of weight, optimum footwork, wristwork and use of the hands/fingers in the various strokes. John Arlott in his time (1980s!) said it was still the soundest general introduction to the general principles and mechanics of batting, even if fashions had changed, the nature of the game and with those changes, particular stances and shot executions.

We might disagree, of course! Very Happy

The book was first published exactly 100 years ago.

I'd also probably add that it must've been difficult to hold a decent position and get the camera to capture it in those days. I seriously hadn't heard of a couple of those shots though and I can't really get over how they'd have come about. Really interesting though, Peter, cheers for doing it. Much to my chagrin, I couldn't contribute as much as I'd have liked in either.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Picture Quiz / Gallery: "Batsmanship" - Page 3 Empty Re: Picture Quiz / Gallery: "Batsmanship"

Post by PeterCS Wed 18 Jul 2012, 21:57

You contributed plenty ....

As to what you have just said, Dan, I think you're right .....

both in that the uncovered pitches and wet/sticky wickets must have put good batsmanship at a premium (it also explains why at least a couple of the pictures I've put up demonstrate "emergency shots", to an unpredictable delivery - or more exactly, an unpredicted arrival!),

and that holding such a (sometimes very stilted) pose was no doubt a function of an era where the range of available camera technology was generally not so wide.

Nevertheless, there must have been something notable, perhaps a sort of hallmark, about the bizarre stroke in Picture 11 in particular. There are lots of pictures of it (see below), which suggests it was recognised as "very CB".

I suppose the idea of kicking/flinging the left leg out of the way is to allow exact alignment with the path of the ball, and full weight behind and down on it. Which makes sense, if you can stand the suggestion of epilepsy or something.

Possibly some of the many pictures that appear to show the "back foot defensive" are in fact that "draw" shot (a sort of deliberate Chinese/French cut, it seems), that Wally mentioned in his first post above.

Picture Quiz / Gallery: "Batsmanship" - Page 3 A2

Picture Quiz / Gallery: "Batsmanship" - Page 3 A3

And the altogether strange demonstration to a bemused audience in the nets. Perhaps CB (by now clearly an elder statesman of cricket) is literally playing to the gallery in this one?
Picture Quiz / Gallery: "Batsmanship" - Page 3 A3b

The following one seems to be that back foot defensive in Test match action (from a 1907 distance). Facing fast bowler JJ Kotze at Lord's, in South Africa's first Test match abroad:
Picture Quiz / Gallery: "Batsmanship" - Page 3 A6

Last edited by PeterCS on Wed 18 Jul 2012, 22:22; edited 2 times in total
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 18 Jul 2012, 22:07

Yeah, that last picture is madness - very fascinating. It seems like he's always trying to get his front leg out of the way - maybe an LB candidate! That leg movement seems to be as natural to him as Alec Stewart's high knee on the pull shot.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 18 Jul 2012, 22:11

As for Fry's batsmanship generally (as opposed to his book, "Batsmanship") .... to close up this thread, here are a couple more pictures.

As mentioned, Fry was noted as a buccaneering batsman of adventurous flair, who favoured either the leg side (against the snobbish preference of the day for elegant, "gentlemanly" offside play), or the straight drive - and the lofted drive in particular. He became shackled and frustrated by any defensive, predominantly legside field and matching bowling (which was tried successfully agaisnt him on occasions at Test level), as well as becoming even more highly-strung and anxious than normal in some fraught situations, including as captain.

(Unlike Hick or Ramprakash - or Shah!, however, he came up trumps when most needed on several occasions for England.)

I won't bother putting up the best known picture of him demonstrating a lofted straight drive.

But here is another, essentially in the same attacking "groove". Showing his instincts!:

Picture Quiz / Gallery: "Batsmanship" - Page 3 A4
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 18 Jul 2012, 22:12

Preparing to take strike - hand-coloured, I fear:

Picture Quiz / Gallery: "Batsmanship" - Page 3 A5

And I just LOVE the big jacket .......

Picture Quiz / Gallery: "Batsmanship" - Page 3 A1
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 18 Jul 2012, 22:20

Brass Monkey wrote:Yeah, that last picture is madness - very fascinating. It seems like he's always trying to get his front leg out of the way - maybe an LB candidate! That leg movement seems to be as natural to him as Alec Stewart's high knee on the pull shot.

I wish I did my homework thoroughly, to know exactly what the LB laws were pre-WW1. (This is where you need Wally or Marty.)

I presume though that if Fry had been born a century later, he would have adjusted his play - and his manual - accordingly, and considerably!

TO answer your implied question more directly ...

In some ways getting your leg over (or rather, one leg out of the way) would surely MINIMISE the risk of LBW! ~ ~ ~ And you could always repeat the pose and dog-wee on the umpire who gave you out .......

And to be fair to Fry, I don't think he cocked his leg all the time - just for that particular blocking shot (or perhaps also for that cocky leg glide though the legs, the "draw"?)

Anyway, nuff said for this celebration of the Mad Oddity of Fry ... who would have left Leela, Bender and even Prof Farnsworth gaping in disbelief.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 18 Jul 2012, 22:23

Nah man, I meant maybe he was an LB candidate and that's why he adopted that strange stance. I can see from one of those pictures that he likes to give it some welly, so it could partially be the old 'clearing the leg cliche.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 18 Jul 2012, 22:25

Or maybe he was just very well endowed.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 18 Jul 2012, 22:31

He should've taped it to his back leg then! I thought he was supposed to be some sort of polymath? Well, he should've known the 'science of a big dongleberry'.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 18 Jul 2012, 22:32

Ewwwwww. Dingleberries on yer dongle? Narrrsteeeee.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 18 Jul 2012, 22:36

PeterCS wrote:Ewwwwww. Dingleberries on yer dongle? Narrrsteeeee.

Mine? Am I CB Fry? He may have lacked the cowardice to stick his dongle in some insalubrious holes, but I, sir, am clarsey.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 18 Jul 2012, 22:43

In that case, you have outPeeled Bobby Peel for ungentlemanly conduct.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 18 Jul 2012, 22:45

I'm so ungentlemanly that I'm a Tom Richardson beamer personified.

I'm the Brett Lee 'oops, sorry' waiting just around the corner.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 18 Jul 2012, 22:47

At least have the decency to hold your hand up when you're smirking.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 18 Jul 2012, 22:51

Well I wouldn't go all 'Steve Kirby' and snarl about it - the magnanimityinme just wouldn't allow it.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 18 Jul 2012, 23:02

Prepare to be consoled by Freddie Flintoff at the next opportunity then ....
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 18 Jul 2012, 23:08

Aye, he seems the type. Heard he was being a bit of a wankstain when cycling from Greece to London with Lawrence Dallaglio as well.

And apparently he also said 'Ere, Lawrence, there's no 'I' in cycling... oh'.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Thu 19 Jul 2012, 06:13

PeterCS wrote:The One and BM: I quite agree it looks quite idiosyncratic seen through modern eyes (esp Pic 11, of which more later - I have to get some dinner). Hence what I said in the first post of the thread! Very Happy

And the book was criticised by some as "too theoretical" at the time, and indeed idiosyncratic.

But, even grudgingly sometimes, it was more often widely acclaimed as a sound practical manual to shot selection, good distribution of weight, optimum footwork, wristwork and use of the hands/fingers in the various strokes. John Arlott in his time (1980s!) said it was still the soundest general introduction to the general principles and mechanics of batting, even if fashions had changed, the nature of the game and with those changes, particular stances and shot executions.

We might disagree, of course! Very Happy

The book was first published exactly 100 years ago.

i think it just belongs to its time. cricket back then was of course still a work in progress, with many of the fundamentals we take for granted in modern day cricket still being discovered and perfected. the point about uncovered is certainly a fair one for the defensive strokes and certainly explains a lot of the 'awkwardness', but i find the attacking strokes more intriguing especially the hook and the pull (would love to see any square drives, straight drives, off drives, etc. the only off-side shot was the cut)

the correct stance as shown would also be a rarity today. its more chanderpaul than sangakarra

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3